    I'm a bit hesitant. Since I can see the XP Pro system files from 64 bit,
    would it be possible to fix the problem while in 64 bit, or must I do the
    repair installation? Thanks...

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 24, 2005

  2. I'm afraid it's a double repair installation for you, Dennis. Because the
    32-bit one will hose your boot files. If you save off the boot files before
    hand, and then copy them back, you should be OK and only have to do the
    32-bit repair install.

    I would not trust copying the files back. You might not get everything, and
    then you might be in worse shape.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 24, 2005

  3. Yikes... Guess I'll stick around in 64 bit for a while until I have the
    time. What boot files would I be saving? Just the MBR?. Can I do a repair
    installation from the 64 bit Trial ISO disk?

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 24, 2005
  4. scan back through the discussions here on dual boot. I don't pay attention
    to the file details, since I always install in the correct order anyway.
    (and in these days of virtual machines have little or no use for dual
    booting anyway except for the occasional BIOS burn or its equivalent.)

    You can do a repair from whatever version you currently have on your
    machine. If you use trial to repair, you've only got trial on it when you're
    done. :(

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 24, 2005
  5. This is the one you are referring to Charlie?
    From an earlier post by John Barnes:
    Also if your system drive is the x64 partition, you will need to save copies
    of the ntldr and ntdetect.com BEFORE you install the x86 version as it will
    overwrite them. You can clean up everything from the x86 system after it
    boots up. First reinstall the saved files to replace the ones installed by
    x86, then fix your boot.ini in system properties or safest is to go into
    the recovery console and do the bootcfg /rebuild as it will know what the
    disk setup is and which is not always obvious when trying to rebuild it in
    system properties.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 25, 2005
  6. Well I didn't give up easily. Facing the prospect of bollixing both OSes, I
    decided to will XP Pro back to life, by rebooting again and again (yeah, I
    know...it sounds stupid). What I noticed though, is that if I tried getting
    to the System Restore panel immediately after the desktop appeared, I could
    get a few more seconds each time before I crashed with an IRQ Less Than
    Equal error. On about the 8th try I made it all the way to System Restore
    and was able to run it... and here I am. Of course, AVG immediately reloaded
    the update as well as several Windows updates, so if there's a conflict, I
    should find out as soon as I reboot....

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 25, 2005
  7. ....and here I am again... so it seems that Windows healed itself...;-)
    Now I need to clone this noisy boot disk onto the new drive that arrived
    today...

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 25, 2005
  8. Yes, I've seen it. Usually means a corrupted database that has managed to
    fix a portion each time. (I've had it happen with AD and DNS on a system
    that was having disk problems, for example.)

    Get that disk out. Definitely.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 25, 2005
  9. yeah, probably that one.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 25, 2005
  10. Well I got good news and bad. The good is using Acronis Migrate Easy (the
    lite version of their utilities) I easily cloned my boot drive to a new
    drive. Took about 15 minutes. The bad news is that whatever corruption was
    on the old disk has been transferred over to the new one. So, while XP 64
    bit continues to run very well, my XP Pro side of things (on the new cloned
    drive) is still crashing shortly after booting... every time.

    Looks like I'll need to do the repair install after all. I hate to do it if
    it's gonna screw up XP 64 bit. As I understand it. I need to save the
    ntdetect.com and ntldr files from the 386 install; boot with the XP Pro CD
    and do a repair install; then replace those two files in the new
    installation. I know John mentioned something about bootcfg as well. Sorry
    for being dense here. I just don't want to forget anything.

    But the new drive is nice and quiet all right...;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 26, 2005
  11. Aw geez... it was AVG all the time apparently. After I left that post, I
    decided to rename all of the AVG files I found in the system 32 folder. That
    fixed it. AVG has a recent update that's much larger than the incremental
    ones they usually do (about 9 megs altogether). Something in there didn't
    ike something else. I wish I'd thought of that earlier (actually I did, but
    I've always been very fond of AVG, and I've recommended it to many users.
    This time something got screwy. I'll try a fresh install and see what
    happens... or maybe move over to NOD32.

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 26, 2005
  12. Ouch. I've always recommended AVG as well. Glad you know the source at
    least.

    For 32-bit, I still like Trend Micro. If they ever do a 64-bit, I'll
    probably install that on my x64 machines.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 26, 2005
  13. The upside of this trauma was that I was forced to do all of my work, under
    deadline, in 64bit. Everything worked flawlessly, except for printing
    (sluggish Xante printers due to makeshift drivers; no color copier supprt -
    no big deal - I don't use it very often). OS remains solid. If I hadn't been
    watching the Sox/Astros into the wee hours I probably would have figured out
    the problem a lot earlier...

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 26, 2005
  14. See, it's helping you make the transition. :) That's a good thing.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 26, 2005

  1. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9leSBU?=

    Bootup stops at acpitabl.dat

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9leSBU?=, May 9, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    rmohanj
    Nov 26, 2007
  2. Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]

    READ THIS: acpitabl.dat issues?

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], Jun 5, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Jun 18, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?QW50aG9ueQ==?=

    Boot process stops at acpitabl.dat

    =?Utf-8?B?QW50aG9ueQ==?=, Jul 5, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit