    larger drive.

    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

    ED
    Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis, Jun 9, 2006

  2. Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis

    mdp Guest

    Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis wrote:
    > I don't have a clue how it happened but when I loaded XP Pro w/SP2, my
    > system now boots from D: I want it to be the conventional C: boot.
    >
    > Can I make that happen without a totally fresh re-load of XP and my
    > programs?
    >
    > Along those same lines, can I clone or copy my entire
    > drive to a larger drive and will the new drive work with XP without
    > having to go back to Microsoft and activate it? I have a non-internet
    > connected computer that is a pain to bring into work to connect up
    > to the internet to do the Microsoft activation thing but I need a
    > larger drive.
    >
    > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
    >
    > ED

    You can clone your drive without having to reactivate. Two popular
    applications are Norton Ghost and Acronis TrueImage. I like and use them
    both. Make sure you don't move any other devices around on the IDE
    connections other than adding the new HD, cloning it, then replacing the old
    drive. Moving devices around may cause Windows to think it's a different
    computer forcing a reactivation. If you want to add some 'margin', reset
    the Volume Serial Number (VSN) of the new drive (C: partition if you have
    more than one partition) to be the same as the old drive. More can be found
    here:

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php
    mdp, Jun 9, 2006

  3. Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 02:52:18 +0000, mdp wrote:

    > You can clone your drive without having to reactivate. Two popular
    > applications are Norton Ghost and Acronis TrueImage

    If the OP actually had to clone, Acronis Migrate Easy is a free for 30
    days download.

    Meat Plow, Jun 9, 2006
  4. Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis

    Bill Hanna Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:18:38 -0600, While running hot, "Shipping Boxes,
    Ed Lewis" <> posted:
    ..
    >I don't have a clue how it happened but when I loaded XP Pro w/SP2, my
    >system now boots from D: I want it to be the conventional C: boot.
    >
    >Can I make that happen without a totally fresh re-load of XP and my
    >programs?
    >
    >Along those same lines, can I clone or copy my entire
    >drive to a larger drive and will the new drive work with XP without
    >having to go back to Microsoft and activate it? I have a non-internet
    >connected computer that is a pain to bring into work to connect up
    >to the internet to do the Microsoft activation thing but I need a
    >larger drive.

    If need be..... You can activate via a voice phone call. They will give
    you a long (around 50 numerals)..
    --
    Bill

    To sleep- perchance to dream of puppies.

    -- WT Hanna ---
    Bill Hanna, Jun 9, 2006
  5. Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis" <> wrote:

    >I don't have a clue how it happened but when I loaded XP Pro w/SP2, my
    >system now boots from D: I want it to be the conventional C: boot.
    >
    >Can I make that happen without a totally fresh re-load of XP and my
    >programs?

    No. There are too many registry entries, shortcuts etc. that are
    hard-coded to drive D: at this point.

    >Along those same lines, can I clone or copy my entire
    >drive to a larger drive and will the new drive work with XP without
    >having to go back to Microsoft and activate it? I have a non-internet
    >connected computer that is a pain to bring into work to connect up
    >to the internet to do the Microsoft activation thing but I need a
    >larger drive.

    You can, but it may not work.

    One of the 10 items monitored by Activation is the volume serial
    number of the hard drive. If you have made other changes to any of
    the monitored hardware items (RAM quantity, video card, network card,
    etc) then the change in the volume serial number may be enough to
    trigger the requirement to reactivate.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Jun 9, 2006
  6. Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:18:38 -0600, "Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis" <> wrote:

    >I don't have a clue how it happened but when I loaded XP Pro w/SP2, my
    >system now boots from D: I want it to be the conventional C: boot.
    >
    >Can I make that happen without a totally fresh re-load of XP and my
    >programs?

    No. You can change the drive letter in the registry but it won't boot.

    >Along those same lines, can I clone or copy my entire
    >drive to a larger drive and will the new drive work with XP without
    >having to go back to Microsoft and activate it? I have a non-internet
    >connected computer that is a pain to bring into work to connect up
    >to the internet to do the Microsoft activation thing but I need a
    >larger drive.
    >
    >Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
    >
    >ED

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Barry OGrady, Aug 31, 2006
  7. Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis

    Maurice Guest

    If you already had the drive partitioned you should first boot up from C:
    and then close down before installing again. The existing OS will remember
    the partition it closed down on (D?) and default to that again.

    Don't try changing the boot-partition idents in Disk Management.that can
    wreak havoc on all the other partition idents. I've been that route!!
    --
    Maurice

    Maurice, Aug 31, 2006