XP pro slow bootup and operation.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Patrick Casher, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. My son has a desktop PIII on a wireless router they use for the internet and
    for the children to play games with. I'm sure it's been abused. It takes
    about 5 min to be able to access the start menu. The boot screen comes on
    and after a minute the keyboard lights flash and it proceeds to slowly boot
    up. There doesn't appear to be too many fonts in explorer or word. I tried
    doing a restore going back as far as I could and it didn't help. Ran
    ad-aware, emptied trash bin, deleted cookies and internet files, ran disk
    cleanup and left it doing a defrag. I'm afraid I might have to reload XP.
    Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Patrick

    The following replys were from 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    You probrably have a virus or trojan.

    In addition to ad-aware try to run spybot - it is free.
    Also: download stinger from NAI - scans your system for trojans.

    HTH

    They run AVG freeware I should run a scan. I've added the hosts file and
    restricted zone domains but I know it might be after the fact. Does anyone
    in this group have any input? Thanks in advance.

    Patrick

    Stinger is NOT a cure-all. It is not really for Trojans. It is McAfee's
    Internet worm
    removal tool. There are a couple of Trojans that stinger covers only
    because they
    co-exist/cooperate with certain worms covered by Stinger. Stinger ONLY
    covers ~39 infectors
    and their variants of the 83K+ known infectors.

    Please go to McAfee (http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp) and/or
    Trend
    (http://housecall.antivirus.com ) and perform an online scan of your
    platform then report
    back your results.

    Based upon those results, we can go on from there.

    Dave

    I was overthere today for a couple of hours. I fired up Free Scan but it
    only got up to 31,000 files left it running. I'll check back with them
    tomorrow.

    Patrick

    Called son this am he said virus scan finished nothing found. Planning to
    go there this afternoon and run RbKiller, CWShredder, and an updated
    Ad-Aware.

    Patrick

    RbKiller and CWShredder found nothing. Ad-Aware found 9 items, deleted them.
    Noticed firewall Zonealarm not running tried to start it but it would pop up
    then dissapear. I downloaded the latest version and reinstalled.
    Dounloaded the latest AVG update and started it running. Left and will call
    them back for the results.

    Patrick

    Son called back scan ran error free. I'm running out of ideas. Maybe I'll
    run hijackthis and send in the log. Does anyone have any further
    suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Patrick

    Got this tip from their webmaster while waiting for reply on hijackthis log
    will check it
    out
    > on next visit.
    >
    > Patrick:
    >
    > Member
    >

    > Group: Full Member
    > Member No.: 3,012
    > Joined: 14-April 03
    >

    > Hi Patrick Casher-
    > You might try this.. go to Blackvipers site here and read up on XP's
    > services. Just make sure that you FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS as he lay's them
    > out for you to (playing around with services can cause problems) I am not

    an
    > expert on Hijack this logs, so please wait for one to reply as per your

    log.
    > It looks clean to me.
    >

    > --------------------
    >
    > Crow

    Hijackthis log came back clean. Planning to get back to son's and run
    stinger, updated ad-aware, and checkout services. Anyone have any other
    ideas?

    Ran updated ad-aware, checkedout services both ok. Removed MS patch
    Q811493 which was supposed to be causing problems in the past according
    to the web but it didn't help. Tried removing anti virus program AVG but
    no change. Started running Stinger and asked son to check on it later.
    Called
    him back next day and he didn't see result window. Plan to run it again.
    If runs
    clean plan to reload format and reload XP.

    Patrick

    Patrick Casher, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Patrick Casher

    alexandrew Guest

    I have Basic DSL, and had same problem like yours on XP, but not waited for
    5 minutes to load, any way , I did clean install and it is better now.
    How long ago you installed this OS any way, maybe its time for you to
    consider clean install.

    alexandrew, Feb 2, 2004

  3. I think I'm beginning to lean that way. It's just a pain to loose their
    settings and resetup the print server etc.

    Patrick

    Patrick Casher, Feb 2, 2004
  4. I reloaded XP today and found that there must be a hardware problem as it
    took about 3hrs to format the 20gig hd. I'm suspecting the drive itself or
    the motherboard. I'll try and swap the hd out on Fri.

    Patrick

    Patrick Casher, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Wondering if there's a boot sector virus. Noticed a strange 8 meg partition
    appearing when repartitioning. Maybe I'll try a low level format before
    replacing hd.

    Patrick

    Patrick Casher, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Patrick Casher

    Boomer Guest

    Patrick Casher, <> wrote:

    > Wondering if there's a boot sector virus. Noticed a strange 8
    > meg partition
    > appearing when repartitioning. Maybe I'll try a low level
    > format before
    > replacing hd.
    >
    > Patrick
    >
    > "Patrick Casher" <> wrote in message
    >> I reloaded XP today and found that there must be a hardware
    >> problem as it took about 3hrs to format the 20gig hd. I'm
    >> suspecting the drive itself or the motherboard. I'll try and
    >> swap the hd out on Fri.
    >>
    >> Patrick
    >> "Patrick Casher" <> wrote in message
    >> > I think I'm beginning to lean that way. It's just a pain to
    >> > loose their settings and resetup the print server etc.
    >> >
    >> > Patrick

    [snip]

    You might want to snip a bit. Whether you reply to yourself or
    others.

    Thanks.

    Boomer, Feb 5, 2004
  7. Patrick Casher

    Jay Mcginn Guest

    That 8MB is always going to be there... lol.. format if you want though!!!

    Jay Mcginn, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Patrick Casher

    Boomer Guest

    Jay Mcginn wrote:
    > That 8MB is always going to be there... lol.. format if you want
    > though!!!

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! You canuck chopfuck.

    Boomer, Feb 6, 2004
  9. Tried to low level format but couldn't find lowlevel format on Maxtor's
    Maxblast 3, so did their repartition and quick format and started reload of
    XP pro but when it became apparent it was running slow I replaced the hd and
    reloaded seems to have don the trick. Will go back and check the partitions
    with fdisk next week, didn't have time today. Gets to a usable start menu
    in less than a minute.

    Patrick

    Patrick Casher, Feb 7, 2004
  10. Had an opportunity to run fdisk on the replaced drive and found no 8 meg
    partition.

    Patrick

    Patrick Casher, Feb 8, 2004
  11. I always use a win98 boot disk and run Fdisk, delete all partitions,
    then turn off the machine for at least 30 seconds.
    This ensures that any viruses running in memory are totally gone
    before I start to install the new OS.

    Had an opportunity to run fdisk on the drive installed and found no 8 meg
    partition.

    Patrick

    Patrick Casher, Feb 9, 2004