    message about the length of the encrypted pass phrase when I try to logon to
    a secure network from a laptop that has XP PRO???

    All of the other users on the home network can access it using XP Home...

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBW?=, Jul 31, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBW?=

    Malke Guest

    Tony V wrote:

    > I've set up a network connection for XP before but why do I receive an
    > error
    > message about the length of the encrypted pass phrase when I try to logon
    > to a secure network from a laptop that has XP PRO???
    >
    > All of the other users on the home network can access it using XP Home...

    This has nothing to do with your operating system. Either your laptop's
    wireless hardware can't use the encryption scheme you've set on the router
    or you are entering it incorrectly. Since you didn't give us any details
    about your wireless hardware, that's as specific as I can get.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Jul 31, 2006

  3. Re: XP PRO--Setting up a network connection-Problem with passphras

    I couldn't upgrade the internal wireless adapter to use WPA-2 because it was
    too old.

    So I did the following:
    - updated the laptop with the Microsoft patch for WPA
    - disabled the internal wireless adapter
    - bought an external wireless card and installed it

    Everything is fine now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBW?=, Oct 9, 2006
  4. The internal wireless adapter was too old to update--no drivers available--so
    I did the following:
    - Disabled the internal wireless adpter
    - Updated the laptop with the latest Microsoft WPA patch
    - Installed an external wireless card

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBW?=, Oct 9, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBW?=

    S Guest

    "Tony V" <> wrote in message
    >I couldn't upgrade the internal wireless adapter to

    "Tony V" <> wrote in message
    news:...>I couldn't
    upgrade the internal wireless adapter use WPA-2 because it was

    S, Oct 9, 2006