XP Pro - setting network access for folders/drives.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daniel, May 14, 2004.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    How do I specify network premissions for XP Pro? I've seen that XP Home
    is very similar to 95/98. I go to the sharings tab of the properties file
    of the folder, & have ability to try to set permissions. First of all, how
    do I know the difference between another user of THAT computer & a network
    access?
    I click the sharing tab (in properties of the folder/drive).
    I say to share this folder & set a name (comment is optional).
    I ignore the number of users (self explanitory & I dont have any
    restrictions).
    I click on the permissions button.
    I see the group of user names, it says "everyone" (only one
    listed...I use only 1 login for XP Pro).
    If I click on "add", I get the "select users or groups" box.
    I click the "object type" button & get "built in security
    principals", "groups", & "users", each with a check box by them (all checked
    by default).
    The "from this location" box (& "locations" button) only has
    that computer's network name.
    Then there is the "Enter the object names to select" box at the
    bottom & the "advanced" button at the bottom (no clue what it is for).
    Meanwhile in the "permissions for everyone" section (at the bottom
    of the "permissions" button screen), I have "full control", "change", &
    "read" with allow/deny check boxes for each, though only "read" is checked
    in the allow side.
    If I try to deny change, it automatically denies read as well. If I
    try to allow read (with deny change checked), it unchecks both (deny read &
    change) & only checks read.
    Now I do understand how this works, but what is the purpose of
    having CHECK BOXES for ALLOW & DENY if unchecking allow is denying?

    I'm looking for more XP Home/Pro technical info (MSConfig/MSInfo32/DXDiag &
    other Win98 commands...where they are in XP + other XP tools). I want HATE
    the "here is how to turn on a computer" type of tutorials/technical info
    (that assume you are so stupid you'd sufficate if not reminded to keep
    breathing), as well as I want something that doesn't assume you wrote the
    operating system. I've not yet found such information. Is there any guides
    that have this type of info without having to search for every single
    command/question (including the ones I can't search for due to not knowing
    them anyway).

    --

    Daniel

    --

    There are 10 types of people in this world...
    ....those that understand binary & those that don't.

    Daniel, May 14, 2004

  2. Daniel

    °Mike° Guest

    How to Share and Set Permissions for Folders and
    Files Using Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/managing/filesharing.asp

    Shorter link: http://makeashorterlink.com/?D13D21B48

    Microsoft Windows XP - File and Folder permissions
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...ll/proddocs/en-us/acl_folder_permissions.mspx

    Shorter link: http://makeashorterlink.com/?T14D53B48

    Microsoft Windows XP - Special permissions for files
    and folders
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...l/proddocs/en-us/acl_special_permissions.mspx

    Shorter link: http://makeashorterlink.com/?N55D21B48

    Microsoft Windows XP - How inheritance affects file
    and folder permissions
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...l/proddocs/en-us/acl_inherit_permissions.mspx

    Shorter link: http://makeashorterlink.com/?D26D25B48

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:35:34 -0500, in