    restart.
    Any information or help much appreciated.
    Thanks.

    Anthropy, Jun 16, 2004

  2. Anthropy

    The Prophecy Guest

    Windows Critical Security Patches:

    KB828741:

    Windows XP:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...0-b75bcf7368cc/WindowsXP-KB828741-x86-ENU.EXE

    Windows 2000:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...1b0335484386/Windows2000-KB828741-x86-ENU.EXE

    KB840374:

    Windows XP:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...4-6e322f7ab542/WindowsXP-KB840374-x86-ENU.EXE

    Virus Removal Tools:

    Blaster: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

    Welchia: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/FixWelch.exe

    Netsky: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxNetsky.exe

    Sasser: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxSasser.exe

    The Prophecy, Jun 16, 2004

  3. Anthropy

    reid decker Guest

    Does it mention NT Authority and shut your machine down after about 45
    seconds? If so Microsoft has a free patch and will send you a disk to cure
    it. It's a real bitch to get rid of.

    reid decker, Jun 16, 2004
  4. Anthropy

    The Prophecy Guest

    reid decker wrote:
    > Does it mention NT Authority and shut your machine down after
    > about 45 seconds? If so Microsoft has a free patch and will send you
    > a disk to cure it. It's a real bitch to get rid of.

    Actually it's really easy to get rid of. All you have to do is use the
    patches and removal tools provided in my first post.

    The Prophecy, Jun 16, 2004
  5. Anthropy

    Anthropy Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:34:25 GMT, "The Prophecy"
    <> wrote:

    >reid decker wrote:
    >> Does it mention NT Authority and shut your machine down after
    >> about 45 seconds? If so Microsoft has a free patch and will send you
    >> a disk to cure it. It's a real bitch to get rid of.

    >Actually it's really easy to get rid of. All you have to do is use the
    >patches and removal tools provided in my first post.
    >
    >> "Anthropy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> My PC is an AMD 2.6g, Gygabyte Triniton motherboard, 500Mb DDR 400.
    >>> It's all new and was working fine for a while but recently the PC
    >>> began restarting itself. I don't know if it's do with the hardware or
    >>> XP Pro. I heard their was a recent virus which caused PC's to
    >>> restart.
    >>> Any information or help much appreciated.
    >>> Thanks.

    Hi. Thanks for the help.
    "Prophecy", thanks for the links, I tried them all but the PC was
    "clean", no viri. Well not those anyway. I also installed the critical
    patches and the problem persisted. At one point the PC would not boot,
    not normally, from a boot disk or go into safemode. I downloaded the
    HD manufacturers utility prog (Fujitsu) and this at least enabled me
    to format the HD. I've since re-installed XP pro and it has only
    restarted itself once in the last few hours as compared to every 10
    minutes. If the problem reappears it's a safe bet its the hardware as
    I've been using this the same version of XP pro for a few months and
    it was fine.
    There's no mention of "NT Authority" or anything else. It's very
    sudden with no warning at all.

    One thing I should have mentioned earlier. This PC is not online nor
    is it networked.

    Thanks

    Anthropy, Jun 17, 2004
  6. Anthropy

    KungFusion Guest

    Anthropy wrote:

    > It's all new and was working fine for a while but recently the PC
    > began restarting itself. I don't know if it's do with the hardware or
    > XP Pro.

    Does it give any message when it comes back up or just
    boots normally? Have you tried looking in the system
    logs for any event messages that might give a clue?

    From your posts it sounds like hardware/memory to me.
    If there's nothing in the system logs then you might
    have to look for temperature related HW failures etc..

    Maybe it's covered by warrantee?

    --

    "Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons."
    Woody Allen

    KungFusion, Jun 17, 2004
  7. You should check out he HP website and see if there has been any news in
    regards to the Ram problem, there has been a global recall of certain
    types. The symptoms sound the same.

    Try replacing the ram in your system.

    You could also slow the system down slightly, this would help your
    stability problem. if the ram isn't the problem then definatley clock
    back the system by about 300 to 400 mhz and see if that helps, if it
    does then you need to check out if the settings for the motherboard,
    cpu, pci bus, agp and system bus speeds are correct and not overclocked.

    You could also adjust your ram timings in your system bios.

    Peter Van Dijk, Jul 3, 2004