    rejected by repair; have tried space etc, etc.

    Can anyone wave a magic wand please????

    Terry

    Greyhairedoldgit, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Greyhairedoldgit

    Rifleman Guest

    "Greyhairedoldgit" <terry.mitchell1@removemefromntlworlddotcom> wrote in
    message news:alk_b.2219$...
    > Hi
    >
    > Trying to use the repair facility in Win XP Pro, but it asks for admin
    > password. Did not have one before, but created one in User accounts. This

    is
    > rejected by repair; have tried space etc, etc.
    >
    > Can anyone wave a magic wand please????
    >
    > Terry

    was your XP pre-installed? If so then try leaving the password box
    absolutely blank.

    Rifleman, Feb 23, 2004

  3. I did original install and did not create a PW (too lazy to log in!!)

    as above, tried leaving blank and also creating an admin PW since, but to no
    avail.

    Thanks anyway

    Terry

    Greyhairedoldgit, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Greyhairedoldgit

    DE Guest

    There is *always* an administrator (or "owner" on XP Home) login &
    password; the problem is that during the install, it only asks for a
    password for the "computer". That's the password you need now.

    Also, is this by any chance a Dell system? There is a problem w/the
    recovery console w/Dell systems that came pre-SP1 and to which the user
    added SP1.

    Just what is it you are trying to accomplish, since it sounds like your XP
    boots OK? And what specific steps are you taking to try to do the repair
    re-install?

    -- DE

    DE, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Many thanks for reply.

    Background is my master HD is in removable tray and in process of changing
    master from 40gb to 80gb. setup new 80gb OK with Win XP pro, plus other
    apps, tools etc...all OK...and twice as fast!.

    Then I committed some sins!. to minimise size of Files and Settings
    Transfer, started un-installing apps etc. However, when I ran the migwiz
    utility, it picked up everything....apart from the MS Outlook folders,
    messages and addresses. All of these are still usable on old 40gb disk, but
    I cannot find a way of transferring them!!

    Help!

    Terry

    Greyhairedoldgit, Feb 23, 2004