    Got an old laptop with only 192mb of ram (max), was wondering if there is a
    way to make xp recognise a pcmcia memory card or usb pen drive as ram.
    Thanks
    Molecule, Nov 28, 2008

  2. Molecule wrote:
    > Got an old laptop with only 192mb of ram (max), was wondering if there is a
    > way to make xp recognise a pcmcia memory card or usb pen drive as ram.
    > Thanks

    Everything Ive read on it says "not really". Plus the added downside of
    using that kind of memory for the constant rewriting is supposed to wear
    it out.
    Best thing for old pc's: lightweight distros.
    So that means linux or a stripped down version of windows.
    You can try tinyXP but its slightly illegal...Damn Small Linux will make
    that laptop fly.

    FYI
    HTH
    §ñühw¤£f, Nov 28, 2008

  3. Molecule

    Cork Soaker Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "Molecule" <> wrote in message
    >> Got an old laptop with only 192mb of ram (max), was wondering if there is

    >> way to make xp recognise a pcmcia memory card or usb pen drive as ram.
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Don't think that's possible
    >
    > but you should check the specs of your machine...I find it unlikely that it
    > can only support 192 megs of RAM...
    >
    > I know I have an old laptop than can take up to a gig.
    >

    > Also, to make the most of XP on a low RAM pc
    > I'd definitely go into the control panel and set for best performance if you
    > have not already done so.

    Try Linux.
    Cork Soaker, Dec 2, 2008