xp pro - puter shuts down

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dorian, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. dorian

    dorian Guest

    hi
    my friend, who has xp pro, wrote this:

    "I think I've been attacked. Last night it started doing this.
    Warning! the computer will shut down and restart in 60 seconds, or some such
    wording.
    There was this note... System32\isass.exe (or lsass) NT Authority
    System....

    and it would shut down and restart. It worked fine while it was running.

    I ran the entire Norton virus scan with no results.
    a friend sent a 32 blaster worm finder/fixer and I ran that on the entire
    system and it found nothing. I had to run it in safe mode cuz it took 2
    hours and in reg mode it shut down before it finished."

    all i could think of doing was to send him the norton bug cleaners
    FixSwen.exe, FxBeagle.exe, FxNetsky.exe. but i don't know how to fix his
    puter automatically shutting down.

    could someone help?
    thanks
    dorian, Apr 30, 2004

  2. dorian wrote:

    > hi
    > my friend, who has xp pro, wrote this:
    >
    > "I think I've been attacked. Last night it started doing this.
    > Warning! the computer will shut down and restart in 60 seconds, or some such
    > wording.
    > There was this note... System32\isass.exe (or lsass) NT Authority
    > System....
    >
    > and it would shut down and restart. It worked fine while it was running.
    >
    > I ran the entire Norton virus scan with no results.
    > a friend sent a 32 blaster worm finder/fixer and I ran that on the entire
    > system and it found nothing. I had to run it in safe mode cuz it took 2
    > hours and in reg mode it shut down before it finished."
    >

    > all i could think of doing was to send him the norton bug cleaners
    > FixSwen.exe, FxBeagle.exe, FxNetsky.exe. but i don't know how to fix his
    > puter automatically shutting down.
    >
    > could someone help?
    > thanks

    In Control Panel, go to Administrative Tools, then Services, then scroll
    down to Remote Procedure Call. Right click on the first listing, choose
    properties, Recovery tab, change to "Take no action" on all three choices.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 30, 2004

  3. dorian

    gurnmaster Guest

    I had that same problem when I re formatted and done a fresh install of
    windows xp.I forgot to install the ATI drivers. a pop box would appear
    saying your system will be shut down in 60 seconds..

    if all of the drivers are not installed it will make your system unstable

    gurnmaster, Apr 30, 2004
  4. <SNIP>
    There is a remote management procedure that is listed under the advanced
    settings of your Local Area Connection.

    Go into the control panel and then right click on Local Area Connection, or
    the Connection that you use to access the internet.

    A box will pop up and you need to go to the advanced settings and ensure
    that allow remote management is unchecked.

    This is alot easier than going into the computer management and messing with
    the Services indexes for it, but you may want to go to the administrative
    tools and check it out as well.

    Visit www.dynatechtx.com for updates as well as deliver messages to our
    Internet Technical Support teams for more questions and answers.

    Eric Clark
    Dynamic Technology Systems

    Dynamic Technology Systems, Apr 30, 2004
  5. gurnmaster wrote (TOP-POSTING):

    > I had that same problem when I re formatted and done a fresh install of
    > windows xp.I forgot to install the ATI drivers. a pop box would appear
    > saying your system will be shut down in 60 seconds..
    >
    > if all of the drivers are not installed it will make your system unstable

    This issue has nothing whatever to do with installing proper drivers. It has
    everything to do with the Blaster worm, which is addressed in other
    postings in this thread.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Apr 30, 2004
  6. dorian

    knw Guest

    If you can't fix it quickly enough within the 60 seconds, double click on
    your clock in the systray and set it back a day.

    knw, Apr 30, 2004
  7. dorian

    dorian Guest

    thanks for the help everyone :)