XP Pro problemo - what's new!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by teacka, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. teacka

    teacka Guest

    Hey all,

    Any/all help would be appreciated with this device. We have a dell optiplex
    computer, P4, 1.2ghz running XP Pro. About every 10-15 minutes or so, the
    CPU utilization goes 100 percent and the computer grinds to a halt. On the
    bottom right hand corner, where the clock is, on the network connection icon
    is, both little screens go full green. This happens for about 1-2 minutes,
    then the computer returns to normal. The event viewer shows nothing. I ran
    system monitor before it began it's "fit" and CPU utilization was maxed,
    while network was 0. I have ran Hijackthis, adaware, spybot, and full
    updated virus scans with no results. This computer is on a DSL network with
    two other computers that have no problems. I am beginning to suspect maybe
    a bad NIC, but the frequency is pretty consistent, seems like a bad or
    jabbering NIC would be firing off randomly? Anyone have an idea on what I
    can check for? have you seen this before? all updates including SP1 has
    been installed, this also occurred before SP1.

    Thanks for any help

    JMC

    teacka, Oct 12, 2004

  2. teacka

    Cubzilla Guest

    a) try booting in safe mode

    b) use a startup manager and "kill" all apps that are not needed ,
    enable/disable as required to troubleshoot

    c) take the PC of the LAN, does it still "fit"

    d) disable any scheduled virus checkers or apps

    e) try to time the fits, are they at a set frequency or duration

    Regards Trev

    Cubzilla, Oct 12, 2004