XP pro problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom, Jun 4, 2009.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I have a computer that goes back to the welcome screen in screen saver after
    the time I put in . When it does this my backup does not work. There are
    about 5 log in only one needs a password and the others like guest , user,
    backup does not have or need a password to get in. Only one log in under my
    name which needs a password to get in. I went to screen saver by right
    click on desk top and then go to screensaver and I made sure every log in is
    not check where it says to check if you want to go back to the welcome
    screen which is the log in screen with all the names. Is there another place
    I missed that I have to uncheck which may be checked , So this does not go
    back to the welcome screen . Any suggestion on how I can fix this . Thank
    you Tommy
     
    Tom, Jun 4, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tom wrote:

    > I have a computer that goes back to the welcome screen in screen saver
    > after the time I put in . When it does this my backup does not work. There
    > are
    > about 5 log in only one needs a password and the others like guest ,
    > user,
    > backup does not have or need a password to get in. Only one log in under
    > my
    > name which needs a password to get in. I went to screen saver by right
    > click on desk top and then go to screensaver and I made sure every log in
    > is not check where it says to check if you want to go back to the welcome
    > screen which is the log in screen with all the names. Is there another
    > place
    > I missed that I have to uncheck which may be checked , So this does not
    > go back to the welcome screen . Any suggestion on how I can fix this .
    > Thank you Tommy


    Does that happen only with that particular screensaver?
    It may have problems ...
     
    wisdomkiller & pain, Jun 4, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    No this happens on all screen savers I pick. I even tried to go to Computer
    management and disabled the other users . Thanks
    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:eek:...
    > Tom wrote:
    >
    >> I have a computer that goes back to the welcome screen in screen saver
    >> after the time I put in . When it does this my backup does not work.
    >> There
    >> are
    >> about 5 log in only one needs a password and the others like guest ,
    >> user,
    >> backup does not have or need a password to get in. Only one log in under
    >> my
    >> name which needs a password to get in. I went to screen saver by right
    >> click on desk top and then go to screensaver and I made sure every log in
    >> is not check where it says to check if you want to go back to the welcome
    >> screen which is the log in screen with all the names. Is there another
    >> place
    >> I missed that I have to uncheck which may be checked , So this does not
    >> go back to the welcome screen . Any suggestion on how I can fix this .
    >> Thank you Tommy

    >
    > Does that happen only with that particular screensaver?
    > It may have problems ...
    >
     
    Tom, Jun 5, 2009
    #3
  4. Tom

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 07:07:20 -0400, "Tom" <> wrote:

    >No this happens on all screen savers I pick. I even tried to go to Computer
    >management and disabled the other users . Thanks


    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-519937.php

    --
    Today's forecast is: moderate to heavy patches of Frogs and a sunny outlook,
    but with a belt of inflatable pink Lizards moving in from the west for the
    weekend, and a trip to the psychiatrist for better drugs sometime Tuesday.
     
    Mara, Jun 5, 2009
    #4
  5. Tom wrote:
    [resorted for better readability]

    > "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in

    .....
    >> Does that happen only with that particular screensaver?
    >> It may have problems ...
    >>

    > No this happens on all screen savers I pick. I even tried to go to
    > Computer
    > management and disabled the other users . Thanks


    When you say "goes back to welcome screen" ... do you see something like
    "<number> programs are running"?
    If yes, it is just the screen lock feature and you may want to at least turn
    off the "require password upon resume" checkbox in properties. Or even
    better, if you don't need a screensaver, turn it off.
    In the other case, you will have to investigate your event viewer - the PC
    may have actually rebooted while you were off.
     
    wisdomkiller & pain, Jun 5, 2009
    #5
  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thank you. I know it did not reboot because It is a small made up type of
    server that just works the appointments for a small office . I had to put in
    a new motherboard and a new hard drive. If the power went or if it was an
    update we would of known because the appointments program would of went
    off. It seems that it goes back to the welcome screen every 2 hours because
    we have been checking it. There was one log in user that was checked at
    the screen saver to go back to the welcome log in choices. but I unchecked
    this and still have this problem Thanks for any more ideas


    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Tom wrote:
    > [resorted for better readability]
    >
    >> "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in

    > ....
    >>> Does that happen only with that particular screensaver?
    >>> It may have problems ...
    >>>

    >> No this happens on all screen savers I pick. I even tried to go to
    >> Computer
    >> management and disabled the other users . Thanks

    >
    > When you say "goes back to welcome screen" ... do you see something like
    > "<number> programs are running"?
    > If yes, it is just the screen lock feature and you may want to at least
    > turn
    > off the "require password upon resume" checkbox in properties. Or even
    > better, if you don't need a screensaver, turn it off.
    > In the other case, you will have to investigate your event viewer - the PC
    > may have actually rebooted while you were off.
    >
    >
    >
    >
     
    Tom, Jun 6, 2009
    #6
  7. Tom wrote:

    > Thank you. I know it did not reboot because It is a small made up type of
    > server that just works the appointments for a small office . I had to put
    > in a new motherboard and a new hard drive. If the power went or if it was
    > an
    > update we would of known because the appointments program would of went
    > off. It seems that it goes back to the welcome screen every 2 hours
    > because
    > we have been checking it. There was one log in user that was checked at
    > the screen saver to go back to the welcome log in choices. but I unchecked
    > this and still have this problem Thanks for any more ideas
    >

    You did set the screensaver type to "none"?
    That's the only way to reliably fix it. Since it is a per-user setting, it
    has to be done under the user account.
    Or do you have a policy in place?
     
    wisdomkiller & pain, Jun 6, 2009
    #7
  8. Tom

    Andy Guest

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    > Tom wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you. I know it did not reboot because It is a small made up type of
    >> server that just works the appointments for a small office . I had to put
    >> in a new motherboard and a new hard drive. If the power went or if it was
    >> an
    >> update we would of known because the appointments program would of went
    >> off. It seems that it goes back to the welcome screen every 2 hours
    >> because
    >> we have been checking it. There was one log in user that was checked at
    >> the screen saver to go back to the welcome log in choices. but I unchecked
    >> this and still have this problem Thanks for any more ideas
    >>

    > You did set the screensaver type to "none"?
    > That's the only way to reliably fix it. Since it is a per-user setting, it
    > has to be done under the user account.
    > Or do you have a policy in place?


    "Use the classic logon screen" in Group Policy might be a good bet.

    --
    Registered Linux User #478766
    Join the Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/
     
    Andy, Jun 6, 2009
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tim Fickes

    Laptop WinXP pro - Linksys WCG200 - PC Win2k pro

    Tim Fickes, Jul 29, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,609
    Tim Fickes
    Jul 29, 2004
  2. V
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    3,384
    Ron Martell
    Oct 8, 2003
  3. Treb
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    611
  4. nameruse

    Win2k Pro vs. WinXP Pro

    nameruse, Aug 2, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    928
    Mark Shaw
    Aug 4, 2004
  5. Mike

    Dual Monitor Display in W2K Pro vs XP Pro

    Mike, Dec 17, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,478
Loading...

Share This Page