    failure?
    Thank you,
    Seamus J. Wilson
    Seamus J. Wilson, Mar 4, 2009

  2. Seamus J. Wilson

    RickMerrill Guest

    Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
    > This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I have
    > never used password access. I could not get by.
    > I booted up in safe mode and did a restore a few days back to fix the
    > problem. It worked.
    > Any ideas why the password request? Could this be a sign of imminent HD
    > failure?
    > Thank you,
    > Seamus J. Wilson

    Sounds like a Trojan virus. Scan; what's y our A-V?
    RickMerrill, Mar 4, 2009

  3. Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

    > This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I
    > have never used password access. I could not get by.

    You should use passwords. You should also not use an Administrator
    account for normal activity. Without a password, any hacker on the
    planet who finds your IP address "can be you." Set it back to use
    password, and pick a strong one that nobody can guess.

    > I booted up in safe mode and did a restore a few days back to fix the
    > problem. It worked. Any ideas why the password request?

    Did you do any Windows Updates yesterday? Recently? Microsloth does have
    the habit of changing the way you work, without telling you.

    > Could this be a sign of imminent HD failure?

    It had nothing to do with your hard drive...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 4, 2009
  4. "Seamus J. Wilson" <> promulgated this using

    > This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I
    > have never used password access. I could not get by.
    > I booted up in safe mode and did a restore a few days back to fix the
    > problem. It worked.
    > Any ideas why the password request? Could this be a sign of imminent HD
    > failure?
    > Thank you,
    > Seamus J. Wilson

    Could be some program you installed or uninstalled or Windows Update...

    I use the old TweakUI (v1.33)to avoid a password for my Admin user
    accounts. Every now and then, especially if someone uses a password, then
    Windows wants to do the password dance. I just go back to TweakUI and
    reset the checkbox and reboot.

    HDD failure? That's way out of the range of any reasonable considerations
    if what you've said is all there is to it...

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and if you put all your gold in
    an envelope and send it to me, I'll send you what it's worth.

    Get yerself some wimmins in yer pickup
    without any of that pesky incriminating Rohypnol :

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCGcAQ9nLiI

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 4, 2009
  5. Seamus J. Wilson

    Gordon Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I
    >> have never used password access. I could not get by.

    > You should use passwords. You should also not use an Administrator
    > account for normal activity. Without a password, any hacker on the
    > planet who finds your IP address "can be you." Set it back to use
    > password, and pick a strong one that nobody can guess.

    The Default setting in XP is first User created is an Administrator and
    no password.
    Great isn't it?

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    Gordon, Mar 4, 2009
  6. Seamus J. Wilson

    Guest

    "Seamus J. Wilson" <> wrote:

    >This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I have
    >never used password access. I could not get by.
    >I booted up in safe mode and did a restore a few days back to fix the
    >problem. It worked.
    >Any ideas why the password request? Could this be a sign of imminent HD
    >failure?

    Something (maybe a recent install) most likely changed a registry
    entry.

    Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
    control userpasswords2
    <enter>

    Follow the instructions, and hopefully there is no password, if so one
    you can remember.
    --

    www.coffeeandcigarettes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/thefuture1.jpg
    , Mar 4, 2009
  7. Gordon wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
    >>> ..have never used password access.

    >> You should use passwords. You should also not use an Administrator
    >> account for normal activity.

    > The Default setting in XP is first User created is an Administrator
    > and no password. Great isn't it?

    Greatest thing since sliced bread. Without it, all those bot-net
    managers would be looking elsewhere for work.

    (oh, probably not... there are so many ways into Windows, it will never
    end.)

    --
    -bts
    -"Windows - Life Without Wallsâ„¢"
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 4, 2009
  8. Thank you for all the helpful responses. Much appreciated.
    Best,
    Seamus J.

    Seamus J. Wilson, Mar 4, 2009
  9. Seamus J. Wilson

    chuckcar Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
    >>
    >>> This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I
    >>> have never used password access. I could not get by.

    >> You should use passwords. You should also not use an Administrator
    >> account for normal activity. Without a password, any hacker on the
    >> planet who finds your IP address "can be you." Set it back to use
    >> password, and pick a strong one that nobody can guess.
    >>

    > The Default setting in XP is first User created is an Administrator and
    > no password.
    > Great isn't it?

    Same with *any* operating system. The first time you boot in linux to
    install it, there's no password for root and you *never* have to add one.
    It *recommends* it strongly, even warns of one that's too short, but you
    *never* have to give root one.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 4, 2009
  10. Seamus J. Wilson

    Gordon Guest

    chuckcar wrote:

    > Same with *any* operating system. The first time you boot in linux to
    > install it, there's no password for root

    Wrong and wrong and wrong. Ubuntu you HAVE to provide a password.
    Mandriva you HAVE to provide a password. AFAIK in SUSE you HAVE to
    provide a password.
    Give us an example of a Distro where you don't.

    Gordon, Mar 5, 2009
  11. Seamus J. Wilson

    Tony Guest

    Only a dipshit with more time on their hands than brains would use a
    password.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Mar 5, 2009
  12. Seamus J. Wilson

    Gordon Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Only a dipshit with more time on their hands than brains would use a
    > password.

    Got lots of Trojans and bots have we?

    Gordon, Mar 5, 2009