XP Pro networking?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Les Hemmings, Feb 12, 2007.

  1. Les Hemmings

    Les Hemmings Guest

    Is there a site someone can recommend that takes you through all the
    settings needed to manually (no wizards) network 2 pc's running XP pro with
    a crossover cable for file and internet sharing?

    I have the network cards installed, cabled up with a cat 5 crossover and
    have run the Networking Wizard on both machines. Workgroup name the same but
    still no internet sharing and the machines can't see each other.

    I think I need to go through all relevant settings, services running on xp
    etc. Networking still feels like a black art to me and I'm off now to try
    and work out how to check IP address's, subnet masks and find out what it
    all means.

    But in the meantime, an idiot proof step by step guide covering all the
    snags would really help.

    --
    Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

    "Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

    "That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd
    time!"

    http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

    http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

    Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

    Les Hemmings, Feb 12, 2007

  2. Les Hemmings

    Les Hemmings Guest

    Les Hemmings wrote:
    > Is there a site someone can recommend that takes you through all the
    > settings needed to manually (no wizards) network 2 pc's running XP
    > pro with a crossover cable for file and internet sharing?

    It was bloody Zonealarm!!! Running on the xp firewall all if fine..

    Les

    Les Hemmings, Feb 12, 2007

  3. Les Hemmings

    Neil Green Guest

    "Les Hemmings" <>
    wrote in message
    > Les Hemmings wrote:
    >> Is there a site someone can recommend that takes
    >> you through all the
    >> settings needed to manually (no wizards) network 2
    >> pc's running XP
    >> pro with a crossover cable for file and internet
    >> sharing?
    >>

    > It was bloody Zonealarm!!! Running on the xp
    > firewall all if fine..
    >
    > Les
    >
    > --
    > Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.
    >

    > "Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated
    > Pooh!"
    >
    > "That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I
    > won't tell you a 3rd
    > time!"
    >

    > http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/
    >
    > http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php
    >

    > Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

    Zone Alarm is a piece of crap.
    If you want a half decent firewall download an old
    version of Sygate.
    It used to be free for personal use but Symantec
    bought it and you can guess the rest.
    You can still find a copy of version 5 hanging around
    the net.

    Neil Green, Feb 13, 2007
  4. Les Hemmings

    Les Hemmings Guest

    Neil Green wrote:

    > Zone Alarm is a piece of crap.
    > If you want a half decent firewall download an old
    > version of Sygate.
    > It used to be free for personal use but Symantec
    > bought it and you can guess the rest.
    > You can still find a copy of version 5 hanging around
    > the net.

    Thanks Neil.. i'll take a look....

    Les

    Les Hemmings, Feb 13, 2007