    sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a few
    minutes later all the programs pop up at once).

    Any advice greatfully received.
    Joe, May 4, 2004

  2. Joe

    Joevan Guest

    On Tue, 4 May 2004 16:55:23 +0100, "Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I bought a 2nd hand computer which came with XP Pro installed, i have the
    >manual but cannot find the certificate of authencity, its a custom made
    >computer?
    >
    >I've tried in vain to find a site within Microsoft to scan my computer to
    >see if it is legit. I've found the serial number in the registery because I
    >want to do a reinstall or something, as it often has slow downs and
    >sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a few
    >minutes later all the programs pop up at once).
    >
    >Any advice greatfully received.

    If you really want to know, open up windows explorer, click on help
    and you will see something like Is this copy of windows legal.
    Let us know what you discover.
    joevan
    Joevan, May 4, 2004

  3. "Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I bought a 2nd hand computer which came with XP Pro installed, i have the
    > manual but cannot find the certificate of authencity, its a custom made
    > computer?
    >
    > I've tried in vain to find a site within Microsoft to scan my computer to
    > see if it is legit. I've found the serial number in the registery because

    > want to do a reinstall or something, as it often has slow downs and
    > sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a

    few
    > minutes later all the programs pop up at once).
    >
    > Any advice greatfully received.

    Check the back of the PC or inside the computer cover, sometimes people put
    them in there
    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., May 4, 2004
  4. Joe

    Lazarus Guest

    If you have a pirate copy windows update only works the first time u use
    it....2nd time it tells you you have pirate sware!

    Lazarus, May 4, 2004
  5. Joe

    Jonti Guest

    Not quite correct :-0

    Jonti

    Jonti, May 4, 2004
  6. Joe

    Dan Shea Guest

    wrote:

    >I bought a 2nd hand computer which came with XP Pro installed, i have the
    >manual but cannot find the certificate of authencity, its a custom made
    >computer?
    >
    >I've tried in vain to find a site within Microsoft to scan my computer to
    >see if it is legit. I've found the serial number in the registery because I
    >want to do a reinstall or something, as it often has slow downs and
    >sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a few
    >minutes later all the programs pop up at once).
    >
    >Any advice greatfully received.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/default.mspx

    Generally, if you didn't receive any Certificate of Authenticity (a
    sticker on the case somewhere, a piece of paper, etc) your software is
    pirated. Not receiving a genyewine MS hologram CD or 3-rd party
    recovery disk -- SOME way of reinstalling your OS -- is also a bad
    sign.

    FWIW, as long as it works with Windows Update, you shouldn't have any
    problems other than the legal/ethical ones. If it doesn't work with
    Windows Update, you can always buy a retail XP license, enter the new
    key, and you're set.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, May 4, 2004
  7. Joe

    M Guest

    You can check that the key you have retrieved is correct by using Belarc
    Advisor free from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html or Magical Jelly
    Bean Keyfinder free from http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml .
    You can reinstall using the key that this retrieves. Only problem is if the
    key is for an OEM version, upgrade or full retail you will need that
    specific disc. Also you may find that it then refuses to activate because
    the original install was activated using a crack. I might be easier to ask
    the seller. It would be useful to know the specification as the problem
    might be caused but a slow CPU or lack of RAM which reinstalling wont fix.
    If the machine stops responding clicking loads of icons will only make the
    problem worst since each click adds yet another instruction in the queue to
    be processed.

    M, May 4, 2004
  8. Joe

    Hamman Guest

    "Lazarus" <> wrote in message
    > If you have a pirate copy windows update only works the first time u use
    > it....2nd time it tells you you have pirate sware!

    what the hell have you been drinking / smoking? complete BS, it either works
    all the time or never.

    hamman
    Hamman, May 4, 2004
  9. Joe

    doS Guest

    Damn to hell, he said he found the serial in the registry, no way possible,
    it's not listed there.

    doS, May 5, 2004
  10. Joe

    doS Guest

    Who asked you Hummerman?

    doS, May 5, 2004
  11. Joe

    Diesel Guest

    there are xp serial key viewers shareware that can be downloaded from the
    net. wether they're legal or not, who cares, he just wants to know what the
    serial is right?

    Diesel, May 5, 2004
  12. Joe

    doS Guest

    No shit Van?

    doS, May 5, 2004
  13. Joe

    SgtMinor Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > I bought a 2nd hand computer which came with XP Pro installed, i have the
    > manual but cannot find the certificate of authencity, its a custom made
    > computer?
    >
    > I've tried in vain to find a site within Microsoft to scan my computer to
    > see if it is legit. I've found the serial number in the registery because I
    > want to do a reinstall or something, as it often has slow downs and
    > sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a few
    > minutes later all the programs pop up at once).
    >
    > Any advice greatfully received.

    "Is it legal for me to sell software that I have bought and used?"

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/lic_legal_sell_software.htm

    It says to read the EULA. Click on links to find where the EULA may be
    found.
    SgtMinor, May 6, 2004
  14. Joe

    Lazarus Guest

    is that right?

    I loaded xp
    done an update...only done so much because I am on 56k
    went back later to get more
    "you have pirate software...do you want to report it?"

    so it could have been something i d/l`d on the 1st session that reported
    back the 2nd time

    i then used xpgoodies and everything was ok again and i continued updating

    then i finished my evaluation and went out and bought one ;o)

    At the time of the post I was drinking MGD`s and smoking a bit of hash and
    some nice african bush.....what I was drinking and smoking at the time of
    the update I have no idea........is windows update choosy about who it gives
    its updates to? If I`m off my face do they take my "key" off me and tell me
    to come back in the morning? wonderful service!

    "dont drink and windows update" hmmm doesnt quite have that ring to it?

    I could understand "no hashing while flashing (your bios)"

    up yer pipe!

    Lazarus, May 6, 2004