XP Pro Having Random Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gummy, May 19, 2005.

  1. Gummy

    Gummy Guest

    Hi All,

    I have Windows XP Pro SP2 running on a home-built machine. The motherboard
    is an Asus P4S533 with 512Megs of RAM. I've never had any problems with the
    machine (which is 4 years old) until recently...

    Every so often, and more often recently, Windows just shuts down as though
    someone pulled the plug out of the wall. There is no warning or error, it
    just shuts completely off. When I turn it back on, it boots into Windows as
    though nothing happened. There is no need-to-recover messages or anything.

    I leave the machine on continuously and it will stay on for days without a
    problem. The shutdown started to appear recently when I was using Premiere -
    thought it was old hardware driver conflicts with a non-Win XP card which
    has been removed from the machine.

    Now I can reproduce it when running the CheckIt Diagnosis application that
    came with Norton Utilities 2005. When I run the Memory Test it goes OK for a
    while, but then will do the someone-pulled-the-plug-out-of-the-wall shutdown
    before ever completing the test.

    Since I can do this reliably, could the problem be with bad memory? If so,
    how can I check it?

    Any ideas (short of building a new machine) will be greatly appreciated.

    As an aside, I was running Ghost 9.0 to backup the machine thinking that I
    would try reinstalling XP. But during that process it also shutdown.

    Thanks so much for the help.

    -Gummy

    Gummy, May 19, 2005

  2. Gummy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Gummy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have Windows XP Pro SP2 running on a home-built machine. The motherboard
    > is an Asus P4S533 with 512Megs of RAM. I've never had any problems with
    > the machine (which is 4 years old) until recently...
    >
    > Every so often, and more often recently, Windows just shuts down as though
    > someone pulled the plug out of the wall. There is no warning or error, it
    > just shuts completely off. When I turn it back on, it boots into Windows
    > as though nothing happened. There is no need-to-recover messages or
    > anything.
    >
    > I leave the machine on continuously and it will stay on for days without a
    > problem. The shutdown started to appear recently when I was using
    > Premiere - thought it was old hardware driver conflicts with a non-Win XP
    > card which has been removed from the machine.
    >
    > Now I can reproduce it when running the CheckIt Diagnosis application that
    > came with Norton Utilities 2005. When I run the Memory Test it goes OK for
    > a while, but then will do the someone-pulled-the-plug-out-of-the-wall
    > shutdown before ever completing the test.
    >
    > Since I can do this reliably, could the problem be with bad memory? If so,
    > how can I check it?
    >
    > Any ideas (short of building a new machine) will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > As an aside, I was running Ghost 9.0 to backup the machine thinking that I
    > would try reinstalling XP. But during that process it also shutdown.
    >
    > Thanks so much for the help.

    I don't recall seeing memory errors power down a system. Usually they would
    give me a BSOD. However, if you have two sticks of RAM, take one stick out
    and try again. If you still have problems, swap the RAM and try again. Also,
    search on Google for memory test software - there are others out there.

    Toolman Tim, May 19, 2005

  3. Gummy

    Steve Stone Guest

    Maybe your system is getting updates from Microsoft automatically and
    rebooting after the update ?

    Steve Stone, May 19, 2005
  4. Gummy

    10_4 Guest

    "Gummy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have Windows XP Pro SP2 running on a home-built machine. The motherboard
    > is an Asus P4S533 with 512Megs of RAM. I've never had any problems with
    > the machine (which is 4 years old) until recently...
    >
    > Every so often, and more often recently, Windows just shuts down as though
    > someone pulled the plug out of the wall. There is no warning or error, it
    > just shuts completely off. When I turn it back on, it boots into Windows
    > as though nothing happened. There is no need-to-recover messages or
    > anything.
    >
    > I leave the machine on continuously and it will stay on for days without a
    > problem. The shutdown started to appear recently when I was using
    > Premiere - thought it was old hardware driver conflicts with a non-Win XP
    > card which has been removed from the machine.
    >
    > Now I can reproduce it when running the CheckIt Diagnosis application that
    > came with Norton Utilities 2005. When I run the Memory Test it goes OK for
    > a while, but then will do the someone-pulled-the-plug-out-of-the-wall
    > shutdown before ever completing the test.
    >
    > Since I can do this reliably, could the problem be with bad memory? If so,
    > how can I check it?
    >
    > Any ideas (short of building a new machine) will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > As an aside, I was running Ghost 9.0 to backup the machine thinking that I
    > would try reinstalling XP. But during that process it also shutdown.
    >
    > Thanks so much for the help.
    >
    > -Gummy

    Have you checked your CPU fan to see if it is still functioning properly?
    Sounds like a heat problem!

    Good luck!

    10_4, May 19, 2005
  5. Gummy

    Gummy Guest

    All,

    Thanks so much for the tips, but so far I haven't gotten anywhere.
    1) I downloaded MemTest-86 v3.2 (from http://www.memtest86.com) to check the
    RAM and my computer did the shutdown thing when it was being checked. I then
    removed that chip (512 MEGS) and put a different one, 256Megs) and that too
    shutdown my machine.
    2) I know it is not Windows rebooting, because it would boot backup. Plus, I
    have the automatic updates turned off.
    3)I've run the ASUS Probe software and all the temps and other stats on my
    motherboard are fine.

    Any other ideas are graciously accepted.

    Thank you for the help.

    Gummy, May 22, 2005
  6. Gummy

    Guest

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 22:42:42 -0400, "Gummy" <>
    wrote:

    |>2) I know it is not Windows rebooting, because it would boot backup. Plus, I
    |>have the automatic updates turned off.

    Run (WinKey+R) DRWTSN32.EXE <enter>

    If Windows has been rebooting, the program causing the problem should
    be listed in the applications area.

    --

    , May 22, 2005
  7. Gummy

    Gummy Guest

    Thanks. But there were no logs in the Dr. Watson directory. Plus, the
    computer reboots when I run the memory test from a DOS bootup.

    Gummy, May 22, 2005
  8. Gummy

    10_4 Guest

    "Gummy" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks. But there were no logs in the Dr. Watson directory. Plus, the
    > computer reboots when I run the memory test from a DOS bootup.
    >

    > <> wrote in message

    >> Plus, I
    >>
    >> Run (WinKey+R) DRWTSN32.EXE <enter>
    >>
    >> If Windows has been rebooting, the program causing the problem should
    >> be listed in the applications area.
    >>

    >> --

    Have you tried resetting the BIOS Setup to the default to see if that helps?
    Sometimes this can cause the rebooting if the BIOS is not set correctly.

    Good luck!

    10_4, May 23, 2005
  9. Gummy

    MisterGlobal Guest

    I run XP Home SP2 on a Fujitsu Lifebook N3010, 2.66G, 512M, 40G

    I'm having similar problems - for about 6 weeks now and it seems to b
    happening sooner in the processing than when it first appeared. I
    happens with Ghost backup (oh, it's nice not to have a backup), Norto
    virus scan and Spybot S&D. Has anyone got any further suggestions? I
    my case I don't know how to check motherboard temp - but temp has alway
    seemed a possibility

    --
    MisterGloba
    MisterGlobal's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1335

    MisterGlobal, Jun 24, 2005
  10. When booting your computer, open up the BIOS and check the memory speed, if
    set to 133mhz slow it down to 100, you will notice a slight loss in
    performance but this stabalises a large number of systems prone to seemingly
    arbitary reboots.

    "MisterGlobal" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Robert Withall, Jun 24, 2005
  11. Gummy

    Renniegade

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Re: I have exact same problem...

    It's a good idea when making a post like this to include as much information as you can as to what components you have in your system, the driver versions, your BIOS version, and even the BIOS settings. If I were to view some of that information then I could almost instantly discover the problem when I compare what you have with what I have.

    As for me, I'm running:
    -Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    -BIOS ver. 1405
    -4GB of Mushkin duel-channel RAM (Blackline)
    -2x BFG 7900GT SLI'd
    -Creative X-FI Music Extreme
    -AMD Opteron 170
    -BFG Ageia Physx

    Now this problem began when I was running my 4GB TwinX2048-3500LLPRO's RAM. I thought it was the RAM when my system continuously would shutdown. No warning, no "blue screen of death," nothing... Actually I did get blue screens sometimes.

    What I'm almost convinced of is the Asus system drivers are conflicting with some part of the operating system. Some of the board drivers are like 4 years old and haven't been updated by Asus (I hate Asus for that, and probably will never buy another board from them again).

    I have changed my video cards, my BIOS, my RAM, and I'm still getting the same problem, but just not as frequently. If anyone has a solution let me know. Thanks.

    Renniegade, Mar 23, 2010
  12. Gummy

    XeoNoX

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    considering if it it happens in BOTH windows and DOS, you already changed mem, check HD for loose wires, made sure its not overheating CPU, tried a dif video card, (in that order) i would say that all that is left is your CPU or MOBO, if thats the case im pretty sure either your CPU or MOBO might have gone defective...it happens. If its still under warranty you can call manufacturer and get another replacement, most MOBOs 1 year, CPU 3 years. GoodLuck

    XeoNoX, Nov 11, 2010