XP Pro (Gold?) and SP3

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ClueLess, May 11, 2008.

  1. ClueLess

    ClueLess Guest

    Hi All

    I see many posts stating that SP3 can be installed only after applying
    either SP1 or SP2

    I have already successfully slipstreamed SP3 on XP-SP2 and made a
    fresh install which went smoothly, no problems.

    Today I tried with my original XP Pro (Retail) and the slipstreaming
    with nLite went without any warning or hitch. That means, AFAICS,
    update.exe did not check whether XP was with either SP1 or SP2.

    Since I have no spare hard disk I did not try to install it and see if
    there is a problem.

    Having slipstreamed I believe there should be no problem. I will get a
    new hard disk and install this weekend and come back.

    Meantime if anyone has more information please respond.

    --
    Thanks for your time and attention

    ClueLess

    ClueLess, May 11, 2008

  2. ClueLess

    Big Al Guest

    ClueLess wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > I see many posts stating that SP3 can be installed only after applying
    > either SP1 or SP2
    >
    > I have already successfully slipstreamed SP3 on XP-SP2 and made a
    > fresh install which went smoothly, no problems.
    >
    > Today I tried with my original XP Pro (Retail) and the slipstreaming
    > with nLite went without any warning or hitch. That means, AFAICS,
    > update.exe did not check whether XP was with either SP1 or SP2.
    >
    > Since I have no spare hard disk I did not try to install it and see if
    > there is a problem.
    >
    > Having slipstreamed I believe there should be no problem. I will get a
    > new hard disk and install this weekend and come back.
    >
    > Meantime if anyone has more information please respond.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/cc164204.aspx
    This article says you have to have SP1 at least. And oddly it
    recommends SP2 installed. But that now runs totally against the grain
    of logic (to me at least).

    But I'd sure like to see it in more plain English like you said.

    Big Al, May 11, 2008

  3. Correct. The blocker is programmed into the herald file that starts the
    download of the main SP3 file on Windows Update. The standalone does not
    contain the herald file and so does display a blocker.

    Further, nLite works just fine. It does not know that it is creating a cd
    that will install a defective OS. It just does what you tell it too.

    The problems do not appear until you use the slipstreamed cd to install the
    OS or repair it.

    So don't use XP Gold to create an integrated XP SP3 cd. Just don't. The
    SP1 and SP2 installers made certain changes to XP Gold kernel files quite
    apart from any updates before or since. However, these changes are NOT done
    by the SP3 installer. That means critical changes aren't made to XP Gold at
    the time SP3 is applied that are made if you upgrade XP Gold to SP1 or SP2
    and then use that as a base for slipstreaming with SP3.

    I have no idea why MS did not provide for that in SP3 but they did say that
    they did not during the SP3 beta program and said not to use XP Gold for
    slipsteaming. I suppose it could have something to do with changes to XP's
    servicing stack back around SP1 but I am just speculating.

    Unfortunately, the SP3 beta newsgroups are no longer on the betanews servers
    so I cannot go back and capture the quotes for you.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 11, 2008
  4. ClueLess

    ANONYMOUS Guest

    The article you refer to is all about "INSTALLING Windows XP Service
    Pack 3 (SP3)". The operative word is Installing here NOT SLIPSTREAMING
    or EMBEDDING.

    I have done it and it does install without problems. The only
    difference is that you need to provide the product key during
    installation procedure rather than have the option to defer entering it
    after it is complete.

    hth

    ANONYMOUS, May 11, 2008
  5. ClueLess

    Huck Guest

    ANONYMOUS wrote:
    > The article you refer to is all about "INSTALLING Windows XP Service
    > Pack 3 (SP3)". The operative word is Installing here NOT
    > SLIPSTREAMING or EMBEDDING.
    >
    > I have done it and it does install without problems. The only
    > difference is that you need to provide the product key during
    > installation procedure rather than have the option to defer entering
    > it after it is complete.

    Slipstreaming SP3 RTM using the original release of Windows XP worked fine
    for me as well. Some have reported doing the same SP3 slipstream under
    Windows Vista can result in issues.

    Huck, May 12, 2008
  6. ClueLess

    Frank-FL Guest

    "Big Al" <> wrote in message news:xZDVj.3527$5b3.360@trnddc05...
    > ClueLess wrote:
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> I see many posts stating that SP3 can be installed only after applying
    >> either SP1 or SP2
    >>
    >> I have already successfully slipstreamed SP3 on XP-SP2 and made a
    >> fresh install which went smoothly, no problems.
    >>
    >> Today I tried with my original XP Pro (Retail) and the slipstreaming
    >> with nLite went without any warning or hitch. That means, AFAICS,
    >> update.exe did not check whether XP was with either SP1 or SP2.
    >>
    >> Since I have no spare hard disk I did not try to install it and see if
    >> there is a problem.
    >>
    >> Having slipstreamed I believe there should be no problem. I will get a
    >> new hard disk and install this weekend and come back.
    >>
    >> Meantime if anyone has more information please respond.
    >>

    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/cc164204.aspx
    > This article says you have to have SP1 at least. And oddly it
    > recommends SP2 installed. But that now runs totally against the grain
    > of logic (to me at least).
    >
    > But I'd sure like to see it in more plain English like you said.

    This page says different.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en#filelist

    Frank-FL, May 13, 2008
  7. ClueLess

    Bob I Guest

    Frank-FL wrote:

    > "Big Al" <> wrote in message news:xZDVj.3527$5b3.360@trnddc05...
    >
    >>ClueLess wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi All
    >>>
    >>>I see many posts stating that SP3 can be installed only after applying
    >>>either SP1 or SP2
    >>>
    >>>I have already successfully slipstreamed SP3 on XP-SP2 and made a
    >>>fresh install which went smoothly, no problems.
    >>>
    >>>Today I tried with my original XP Pro (Retail) and the slipstreaming
    >>>with nLite went without any warning or hitch. That means, AFAICS,
    >>>update.exe did not check whether XP was with either SP1 or SP2.
    >>>
    >>>Since I have no spare hard disk I did not try to install it and see if
    >>>there is a problem.
    >>>
    >>>Having slipstreamed I believe there should be no problem. I will get a
    >>>new hard disk and install this weekend and come back.
    >>>
    >>>Meantime if anyone has more information please respond.
    >>>

    >>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/cc164204.aspx
    >>This article says you have to have SP1 at least. And oddly it
    >>recommends SP2 installed. But that now runs totally against the grain
    >>of logic (to me at least).
    >>
    >>But I'd sure like to see it in more plain English like you said.

    > This page says different.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en#filelist

    BUT, if you actually read the contents of one the files at the link you
    posted, it says:

    Fundamentally, deploying Windows XP SP3 works the same as deploying SP1
    and SP2 for Windows XP:
    - SP3 is cumulative, so users can install SP3 on top of Windows XP SP1
    or SP2.
    - Windows XP SP3 supports the same languages as Windows XP did in its
    initial release.
    - You can run the SP3 update package on any edition of Windows XP SP1 or
    SP2. For example, you can
    run the SP3 update package on a computer running the Windows XP Media
    Center Edition with SP1. The
    exceptions are Embedded editions for XP wh
    Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3.

    Bob I, May 13, 2008
  8. ClueLess

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Frank-FL"
    <> wrote:

    >This page says different.
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en#filelist

    The deployment section is clear that upgrading from SP1 and SP2 is
    supported:

    "SP3 is cumulative, so users can install SP3 on top of Windows XP SP1 or
    SP2." and "You can run the SP3 update package on any edition of Windows
    XP SP1 or SP2"

    I skimmed and didn't see anything about XP RTM, either for or against.

    DevilsPGD, May 13, 2008
  9. ClueLess

    Big Al Guest

    Bob I wrote:

    > Frank-FL wrote:
    >
    >> "Big Al" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/cc164204.aspx
    >>> This article says you have to have SP1 at least. And oddly it
    >>> recommends SP2 installed. But that now runs totally against the
    >>> grain of logic (to me at least).
    >>>
    >>> But I'd sure like to see it in more plain English like you said.

    >> This page says different.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en#filelist
    >>

    > BUT, if you actually read the contents of one the files at the link you
    > posted, it says:
    >
    > Fundamentally, deploying Windows XP SP3 works the same as deploying SP1
    > and SP2 for Windows XP:
    > - SP3 is cumulative, so users can install SP3 on top of Windows XP SP1
    > or SP2.
    > - Windows XP SP3 supports the same languages as Windows XP did in its
    > initial release.
    > - You can run the SP3 update package on any edition of Windows XP SP1 or
    > SP2. For example, you can
    > run the SP3 update package on a computer running the Windows XP Media
    > Center Edition with SP1. The
    > exceptions are Embedded editions for XP wh
    > Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3.

    And the key words are "on top of Windows XP SP1 or SP2".
    Not on top of XP.

    Big Al, May 13, 2008
  10. ClueLess

    Bob I Guest

    Big Al wrote:

    > Bob I wrote:
    >

    >> Frank-FL wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Big Al" <> wrote in message

    >>> This page says different.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en#filelist
    >>>

    >> BUT, if you actually read the contents of one the files at the link
    >> you posted, it says:
    >>
    >> Fundamentally, deploying Windows XP SP3 works the same as deploying
    >> SP1 and SP2 for Windows XP:
    >> - SP3 is cumulative, so users can install SP3 on top of Windows XP SP1
    >> or SP2.
    >> - Windows XP SP3 supports the same languages as Windows XP did in its
    >> initial release.
    >> - You can run the SP3 update package on any edition of Windows XP SP1
    >> or SP2. For example, you can
    >> run the SP3 update package on a computer running the Windows XP Media
    >> Center Edition with SP1. The
    >> exceptions are Embedded editions for XP wh
    >> Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3.
    >>

    > And the key words are "on top of Windows XP SP1 or SP2".
    > Not on top of XP.

    Correctamundo!!!

    Bob I, May 13, 2008