XP Pro BackUp Utility

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Si, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Si

    Si Guest

    Hi

    I'm having problems using the XP Pro BackUp Utility.

    I open this Wizard no problem, click next, then select I want to Back Up
    Files And Settings, the click next.

    I then select Everyone's Documents And settings, then click next.

    The it asks me to choose a place to save my Back Up - the options given are
    (A) Drive Floppy or Z:\ which is my CR-RW Drive.

    So as I want to back up to CD I choose Z:\ and am then asked to name the
    backup - I called it September, then clicked next.

    I then get an error message saying -

    'The backup file name could not be used'

    'Z:\September.bkf'

    'Please ensure it is a valid path and that you have sufficient access'.

    What does this mean?

    I am the Administrator on this machine therefore I do have sufficient
    access. If 'September' is not a valid file name, what should I be using?

    Simon
    Si, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Si wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm having problems using the XP Pro BackUp Utility.
    >
    > I open this Wizard no problem, click next, then select I want to Back
    > Up Files And Settings, the click next.
    >
    > I then select Everyone's Documents And settings, then click next.
    >
    > The it asks me to choose a place to save my Back Up - the options
    > given are (A) Drive Floppy or Z:\ which is my CR-RW Drive.
    >
    > So as I want to back up to CD I choose Z:\ and am then asked to name
    > the backup - I called it September, then clicked next.
    >
    > I then get an error message saying -
    >
    > 'The backup file name could not be used'
    >
    > 'Z:\September.bkf'
    >
    > 'Please ensure it is a valid path and that you have sufficient
    > access'.
    >
    > What does this mean?
    >
    > I am the Administrator on this machine therefore I do have sufficient
    > access. If 'September' is not a valid file name, what should I be
    > using?
    >
    > Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Simon

    XP (NT) Backup won't backup directly to a CDRW drive. You need to make a
    folder on the HDD to backup to and burn the CD from there afterwards.

    --
    Google is your Friend
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Si

    Si Guest

    Thanks for that - it works a treat now!

    Si, Sep 17, 2003
  4. Si wrote:
    > Thanks for that - it works a treat now!
    >

    > "Gordon Burgess-Parker" <> wrote in message
    >> Si wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I'm having problems using the XP Pro BackUp Utility.
    >>>
    >>> I open this Wizard no problem, click next, then select I want to
    >>> Back Up Files And Settings, the click next.
    >>>
    >>> I then select Everyone's Documents And settings, then click next.
    >>>
    >>> The it asks me to choose a place to save my Back Up - the options
    >>> given are (A) Drive Floppy or Z:\ which is my CR-RW Drive.
    >>>
    >>> So as I want to back up to CD I choose Z:\ and am then asked to name
    >>> the backup - I called it September, then clicked next.
    >>>
    >>> I then get an error message saying -
    >>>
    >>> 'The backup file name could not be used'
    >>>
    >>> 'Z:\September.bkf'
    >>>
    >>> 'Please ensure it is a valid path and that you have sufficient
    >>> access'.
    >>>
    >>> What does this mean?
    >>>
    >>> I am the Administrator on this machine therefore I do have
    >>> sufficient access. If 'September' is not a valid file name, what
    >>> should I be using?
    >>>
    >>> Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Simon

    >> XP (NT) Backup won't backup directly to a CDRW drive. You need to
    >> make a folder on the HDD to backup to and burn the CD from there
    >> afterwards.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Google is your Friend
    >> Email address deliberately false to avoid spam:
    >> gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    >> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    You're welcome!

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Sep 17, 2003