    updates.

    Am I doing something wrong, and if so what do I need to do? Microsoft want
    to charge me £35.00 plus vat to sort it out (WTF!....lol)!
    =?Utf-8?B?RmFUaGVSLVRlRA==?=, Jul 27, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RmFUaGVSLVRlRA==?=

    T-Bone Guest

    "FaTheR-TeD" <> wrote
    > I have had XP Pro for approx 9 months, already installed on this pc when I
    > purchased the machine.
    > Just tried to do a Windows update, but then the Authentication tool says
    > that my install is not authenticated. Never had any problems before, ever.
    > A couple of months back I had a hard drive failure and motherboard

    problems,
    > which was repaired and replaced locally (heat problem, so new case with

    extra
    > fans, and new hard drive).
    > The shop sorted the whole thing out for me, but now I cannot do Windows
    > updates.

    It could be that in the process of putting your system back together the
    shop used their copy of windows instead of yours. So now the update systems
    thinks its pirated. Being as the shop were the last ones to touch your
    system, I would take it up with them. Otherwise I'd suggest posting your
    question in one of the many XP related newsgroups.
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Jul 27, 2005

  3. I can answer it here, though I don't know why it is in this thread...

    As of yesterday Windows Update requires your Windows XP to be authenticated
    before installing ANY updates or patches, though I believe there is an
    exception for Security patches.

    Read what T-Bone said. If your XP was legit when you bought it then it is
    probable that the shop reinstalled it with an illegit copy. Take it back to
    them and let them know that it is their responsability and that you will not
    pay a quid for them to fix it, and if they refuse then call Microsoft and
    report the issue.

    --
    Mitchell D. Garvis, MCSA
    www.e-mitch.com

    =?Utf-8?B?TWl0Y2ggR2FydmlzLCBNQ1NB?=, Jul 28, 2005