XP Pro Anti- virus

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?VHlEeWVk?=, Aug 15, 2005.

  1. What is the currently the best choice for anti-virus software for XP Pro? I'm
    aware that some are not compatible
    =?Utf-8?B?VHlEeWVk?=, Aug 15, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VHlEeWVk?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    "TyDyed" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What is the currently the best choice for anti-virus software for XP Pro?
    > I'm
    > aware that some are not compatible

    Well, I have started using avast! 4 Anti-Virus which is free for home and
    personal use.

    I have it running on the x64 machine and it runs fine and stable and I have
    to say, with no where near the kind of system hit that packages like Norton
    or Macafee seem to incur...

    You can read about it here http://www.avast.com/

    Regards,

    Colin
    Colin Nowell, Aug 15, 2005

  3. There are several, I belive ClamWin, Avast, Symantec and McAfee have all
    released 64 bit versions along with some others. Computer Associates also
    has a native x64 version of e-Trust has a 64-bit antivirus (Ver. 7.1.192).
    Here are some recommendations:
    Symantec
    http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/products/products.cfm?ProductID=155

    Note: The x64 client that ships with AV Corp10 and it will not update it's
    signatures from the parent server, it has to use Live Update which I won't
    work through proxyservers.
    Avast

    The free one from Avast:

    Update: ESET the company made famous for it's multi-award winning Anti-Virus
    software NOD32 has advised WinBeta.Org that the beta of it's 64Bit
    Anti-Virus product is now available for download.

    NOD32 has risen to prominence over the last 7 years given that according to
    Virus Bulletin it has not missed a single in-the-wild virus since its
    release.
    http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=3054&catid=1
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 15, 2005
  4. I will place another vote for Avast.
    Been using for over a month and not problems.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Aug 15, 2005
  5. Some users have reported shutdown issues with it.

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 15, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?VHlEeWVk?=

    wewa Guest

    yes, i am one of them.
    x64 pretty much hangs with avast on shutdown.
    i have to hold my power switch for 5 seconds...

    wewa, Aug 15, 2005
  7. On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:59:53 -0700, "Andre Da Costa"
    <> wrote:

    >Update: ESET the company made famous for it's multi-award winning Anti-Virus
    >software NOD32 has advised WinBeta.Org that the beta of it's 64Bit
    >Anti-Virus product is now available for download.
    >
    >NOD32 has risen to prominence over the last 7 years given that according to
    >Virus Bulletin it has not missed a single in-the-wild virus since its
    >release.
    >http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=3054&catid=1

    Update on the update: as of a few weeks ago NOD32 64bit went
    production and must now be purchased (~US$40).

    I have it installed on my XP x64 Athlon 64 3000+ (Venice) system and
    it works like a charm, very low on resources, small footprint. When
    scans run in the background, you don't even notice it. Context menu
    integration work as well. Sophisticated GUI compared to Avast, which I
    have on W2K laptop with no complaints except the garish, clunky GUI. I
    have F-Prot on another 32bit machine with no complaints but as far as
    I can tell they are not yet working on a 64bit version.

    I suspect I'll eventually migrate all my 32bit machines to NOD32 as
    subscriptions expire.
    J. Eric Durbin, Aug 15, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?VHlEeWVk?=

    NNBXX Guest

    I confirm.

    NNBXX, Aug 15, 2005
  9. Avast works pretty well, however, it does have issues disallowing XP to
    shutdown "sometimes" an do have to manually turn off your puter. But not bad
    for "free" and a lot less cumbersome than the troubles that will ensue from
    any Symantec product will come out with.

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=, Aug 15, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?VHlEeWVk?=

    John Barnes Guest

    No problems here either.

    John Barnes, Aug 15, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?VHlEeWVk?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    > Some users have reported shutdown issues with it.

    In defence of Avast! (no REAL need I suppose...), I used the home edition
    (free license) for a while and I must confess not not liking the "cartoon"
    interface that panders to the younger generation's idea of a GUI (imho) BUT
    I was impressed with its low hit on the system in terms of performance and
    also its (apparent) low memory footprint which comes to about the same 20Mb
    as NOD32 uses (if you add up all the individual services) so, I decided to
    register it and get the Pro version. The nice surprise came with the "Pro"
    interface which was much more businesslike and more to my taste.

    As to shutdown issues? Well, I have never had a one but then again, I've
    never had any instability of any kind with my purchased OEM copy of WinXPPro
    x64 Edition anyway on this hardware platform that I have built so I guess
    that probably counts for a lot of it. No kind of "lock-up", "slowdown" or
    even a sign of a blue screen. Completes a complete System Restart back to 60
    running processes in 2mins 15-20secs (I timed it! ;-) everytime. Regular as
    clockwork.

    I also liked the prices and deals they offered... better than some I've seen
    from more high profile security vendors anyway...

    Colin
    Colin Nowell, Aug 15, 2005