    Wireless network adapter everything seems to work fine
    and I can connect normally. What's the problem?

    Can I configure the wireless for multiple networks?

    Chris, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Chris

    Jack Guest

    Hi.

    Your work settings are not the same as Home.

    WinXP can accommodate two different settings for Network.

    Or use this: www.netswitcher.com

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 28, 2004

  3. On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 03:31:21 -0700, "Chris"
    <> wrote:

    >I can connect to the network at my work but when I bring
    >my machine home, it picks up an 169.x.x.x ip address and
    >I cannot connect. As soon as I disable and enable the
    >Wireless network adapter everything seems to work fine
    >and I can connect normally. What's the problem?
    >
    >Can I configure the wireless for multiple networks?

    You've not said anything about your equipment. I am presuming you
    have security enabled on your home network as the IP address being
    assigned suggests to me that you've tried to log into the network and
    successfully negotiated a connection but security criteria which means
    you're not really logged in at all and hence cannot make use of
    anything. In my experience, if the client completely fails to
    communicate with the network the IP address is 0.0.0.0 - hence my
    suggestion you are falling down on security.

    As another poster has pointed out it seems that you're trying to log
    into your home network using the same settings as your work one. This
    should not work (unless both have no security whatsoever) and clearly
    does not work. XP allows you to store more than one setting but
    better still most manufacturers provide a native GUI with their PCMCIA
    cards and this should allow you to store multiple profiles so you
    simply choose your home or work profile and it will automatically know
    the settings to use to make a successful connection to the network.

    Simon Pleasants, Jul 30, 2004
  4. I'll answer as best I can with the details provided. If you are using the
    Windows Zero Config service, wzcsvc then you need to setup another entry in
    your preferred network list for you home network. Go to the properties
    window for the wireless adapter and add the correct settings for you home
    network into the preferred networks section. At this time you may also want
    to uncheck the "connect to non-preferred networks" options as well. That
    will tell you computer to only connect to networks on the preferred list.
    Once you have your home network settings and you work networks settings in
    your preferred list the computer should connect to which ever network is in
    range. Please note if you are using the utility form your wireless adapter
    manufacture you will need to read their documentation to do this with their
    software.

    --
    Joshua
    [MSFT]

    Joshua Teague [MSFT], Jul 30, 2004
  5. Chris

    Guest

    Check-out "Plug and Browse" at www.interactive-studios.net. It allows
    you to store multiple network configurations and switch between them
    as needed. The program can store network connection settings, computer
    name and domain, Internet Explorer, etc.

    "Joshua Teague [MSFT]" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'll answer as best I can with the details provided. If you are using the
    > Windows Zero Config service, wzcsvc then you need to setup another entry in
    > your preferred network list for you home network. Go to the properties
    > window for the wireless adapter and add the correct settings for you home
    > network into the preferred networks section. At this time you may also want
    > to uncheck the "connect to non-preferred networks" options as well. That
    > will tell you computer to only connect to networks on the preferred list.
    > Once you have your home network settings and you work networks settings in
    > your preferred list the computer should connect to which ever network is in
    > range. Please note if you are using the utility form your wireless adapter
    > manufacture you will need to read their documentation to do this with their
    > software.
    >

    > --
    > Joshua
    > [MSFT]
    >

    > "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > I can connect to the network at my work but when I bring
    > my machine home, it picks up an 169.x.x.x ip address and
    > I cannot connect. As soon as I disable and enable the
    > Wireless network adapter everything seems to work fine
    > and I can connect normally. What's the problem?
    >
    > Can I configure the wireless for multiple networks?

    , Aug 9, 2004