XP Pro and Promise IDE cards and drives

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thegremlin@bledsoe.net, Aug 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    A while back, I built this HUGE tower system. Loaded XP Pro on a 120gig
    ATA100 drive, added a 100gig to the cable on the Primary IDE Channel.
    Installed a CD-RW and CD ROM master-slave on secondary. Added an Ultra
    Promise ATA100 PCI card with another 2 120gig hds, then added another
    Ultra Promise ATA66 PCI card with my DVD burner and reader. Bought a
    new 550watt p/s, so did not worry about power... heh heh Loaded C: and
    the 2 CD's first, then added slave to primary IDE. XP was fine with
    this. Added the ATA100 card and 1 drive, still ok. Added 2nd drive,
    still ok. Added ATA66card and DVD-RW and XP went crazy. I would lose
    one or both CD, then they would be back and I would lose the primary
    slave. The next time I might have everything. Everything I have read
    SEEMS to say that it will handle everything I can throw at it. Everyone
    I TALK to says that 6 drives is all it will handle CORRECTLY and
    CONSISTENTLY. A few said 7. I ended up going all the way back to 5
    before I had no more problems... 2 IDE on Primary, CD-RW and DVD-RW on
    Secondary, and 1 SATA harddrive. I have HEARD of people having 15
    drives and no problems. What have I done wrong that I can't get a
    measley 8 to go? I still have my tower, just in case SOMEone can
    correct my error(s).... Second question: Is there a way to make Windows
    Explorer open to the drive list instead of My Documents? THIS is
    EXTREMELY agitating to me!!!! Why they decided to make THAT happen is a
    total mystery to me... Explorer (for me, at least!) is where you go to
    work with your DRIVES, not your DOCUMENTS. That is what Word (et. al.)
    is for.... Thank you in advance for any information you can offer!

    , Aug 21, 2006

  2. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > A while back, I built this HUGE tower system. Loaded XP Pro on a 120gig
    > ATA100 drive, added a 100gig to the cable on the Primary IDE Channel.
    > Installed a CD-RW and CD ROM master-slave on secondary. Added an Ultra
    > Promise ATA100 PCI card with another 2 120gig hds, then added another
    > Ultra Promise ATA66 PCI card with my DVD burner and reader. Bought a
    > new 550watt p/s, so did not worry about power... heh heh Loaded C: and
    > the 2 CD's first, then added slave to primary IDE. XP was fine with
    > this. Added the ATA100 card and 1 drive, still ok. Added 2nd drive,
    > still ok. Added ATA66card and DVD-RW and XP went crazy. I would lose
    > one or both CD, then they would be back and I would lose the primary
    > slave. The next time I might have everything. Everything I have read
    > SEEMS to say that it will handle everything I can throw at it. Everyone
    > I TALK to says that 6 drives is all it will handle CORRECTLY and
    > CONSISTENTLY. A few said 7. I ended up going all the way back to 5
    > before I had no more problems...

    \
    <snip>

    Possibly your power adaptor cables?

    I recently built a machine with 6 drives and the 450watt PS handles it just
    fine

    philo, Aug 21, 2006

  3. Rod Speed Guest

    wrote:
    > A while back, I built this HUGE tower system. Loaded XP Pro on a
    > 120gig ATA100 drive, added a 100gig to the cable on the Primary IDE
    > Channel. Installed a CD-RW and CD ROM master-slave on secondary.
    > Added an Ultra Promise ATA100 PCI card with another 2 120gig hds,
    > then added another Ultra Promise ATA66 PCI card with my DVD burner
    > and reader. Bought a new 550watt p/s, so did not worry about power...
    > heh heh Loaded C: and the 2 CD's first, then added slave to primary
    > IDE. XP was fine with this. Added the ATA100 card and 1 drive, still
    > ok. Added 2nd drive, still ok.

    > Added ATA66card and DVD-RW and XP went crazy.

    Promise cards dont always do that well with ATAPI drives.

    Why do you need 3 optical drives ?

    > I would lose one or both CD, then they would be back and I
    > would lose the primary slave. The next time I might have everything.
    > Everything I have read SEEMS to say that it will handle everything I
    > can throw at it. Everyone I TALK to says that 6 drives is all it will
    > handle CORRECTLY and CONSISTENTLY.

    Yes, but not necessarily with two Promise cards.

    > A few said 7.

    You can do more than that fine too.

    > I ended up going all the way back to 5 before I had no more problems...
    > 2 IDE on Primary, CD-RW and DVD-RW on Secondary, and 1 SATA
    > harddrive. I have HEARD of people having 15 drives and no problems.

    Yep.

    > What have I done wrong that I can't get a measley 8 to go?

    Likely using two Promise cards and having one optical drive on one.

    > I still have my tower, just in case SOMEone can correct my error(s)....

    It'll probably work fine with all the optical drive and one hard drive on
    the motherboard controllers and just hard drives on the Promise cards.

    > Second question: Is there a way to make Windows
    > Explorer open to the drive list instead of My Documents?

    I have a variety of shortcuts in the quick start toolbar
    for the various places I often want to start Explorer in.
    Just browse to where you want to go and drag the
    address bar icon to the quick start toolbar.

    > THIS is EXTREMELY agitating to me!!!!

    You could try some prozac.

    > Why they decided to make THAT happen is a total mystery to me...
    > Explorer (for me, at least!) is where you go to work with your
    > DRIVES, not your DOCUMENTS. That is what Word (et. al.) is for....

    I prefer to access documents from explorer than from word.

    Rod Speed, Aug 22, 2006
  4. doS Guest

    all that and a promise 66?????

    doS, Aug 22, 2006
  5. Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > Promise cards dont always do that well with ATAPI drives.
    >Hmmm.... and after all the 'researching' I did on add-on controllers before going with Promise...
    >This was not something that I remember being addressed. Live and learn I guess. Thanx!!
    >
    > Why do you need 3 optical drives ?

    Do not NEED as much as WANTED... and WANTED to use 4 opticals: 1 CD
    ROM, 1 CD-RW, 1 DVD ROM, and 1 DVD-RW... for faster duplicating.

    > You can do more than that fine too.
    >
    > It'll probably work fine with all the optical drive and one hard drive on
    > the motherboard controllers and just hard drives on the Promise cards.

    After reading these answers, it seems that the drives XP can handle so
    many of are LOGICAL drives, not PHYSICAL drives. Too bad...

    > > Second question: Is there a way to make Windows
    > > Explorer open to the drive list instead of My Documents?

    > I have a variety of shortcuts in the quick start toolbar
    > for the various places I often want to start Explorer in.
    > Just browse to where you want to go and drag the
    > address bar icon to the quick start toolbar.

    The obvious solutions are so easily overlooked... heh heh THANX!!!!!

    > > THIS is EXTREMELY agitating to me!!!!

    > You could try some prozac.

    Allergic. Thanx anyways.

    , Aug 22, 2006
  6. Guest

    philo wrote:
    > Possibly your power adaptor cables?
    >
    > I recently built a machine with 6 drives and the 450watt PS handles it just
    > fine

    According to the drives' specs, the 550 I bought for the tower SHOULD
    have been more than enough. If memory serves, it only needed 480watts
    for all the drives I wanted in it, which would have left 70w for the
    rest of the system to use.

    , Aug 22, 2006