    default desktop show up when I start these programs from
    User a desktop?

    Dan

    Dan C, Nov 25, 2006

  2. Dan C

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > XP allows for the creation of multiple users, each with their own desktop.
    >
    > I have Thunderbird and Firefox originally installed on the default
    > desktop, where I use it.
    > If I use another desktop, USER A and start up TB there are no folders,
    > filters, address book.
    > With Firefox a similar thing occurs. The tab setup, homepage, history,
    > bookmarks are not present.
    >
    > Question: How can I make all the settings, etc from default desktop
    > show up when I start these programs from User a desktop?
    >
    > Dan

    All of those settings are stored in the FF and TB "profiles." You can
    copy the profiles from one Windows user account to another if you are
    logged on as an Administrator.

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq.html
    http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/
    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

    However, the question is: why have the same FF and TB data in different
    Windows accounts? Or, if the accounts are the same, why even have two
    accounts?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 26, 2006

  3. Dan C

    Dan C Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> XP allows for the creation of multiple users, each with their own
    >> desktop.
    >>
    >> I have Thunderbird and Firefox originally installed on the default
    >> desktop, where I use it.
    >> If I use another desktop, USER A and start up TB there are no
    >> folders, filters, address book.
    >> With Firefox a similar thing occurs. The tab setup, homepage,
    >> history, bookmarks are not present.
    >>
    >> Question: How can I make all the settings, etc from default desktop
    >> show up when I start these programs from User a desktop?
    >>
    >> Dan

    > All of those settings are stored in the FF and TB "profiles." You can
    > copy the profiles from one Windows user account to another if you are
    > logged on as an Administrator.
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq.html
    > http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/
    > http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    > http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    >
    > However, the question is: why have the same FF and TB data in different
    > Windows accounts? Or, if the accounts are the same, why even have two
    > accounts?

    First, thanks and thanks for the references.

    Now to why. My wife does not use most of what is on the
    default desktop and crabs about the clutter. I am
    attempting to clean up her desktop so it is asthetetically
    more pleasing an less cluttered, and just separate it out
    a bit.

    Dan C, Nov 26, 2006
  4. Dan C

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>> XP allows for the creation of multiple users, each with their own
    >>> desktop.
    >>>
    >>> I have Thunderbird and Firefox originally installed on the default
    >>> desktop, where I use it.
    >>> If I use another desktop, USER A and start up TB there are no
    >>> folders, filters, address book.
    >>> With Firefox a similar thing occurs. The tab setup, homepage,
    >>> history, bookmarks are not present.
    >>>
    >>> Question: How can I make all the settings, etc from default desktop
    >>> show up when I start these programs from User a desktop?
    >>>
    >>> Dan

    >> All of those settings are stored in the FF and TB "profiles." You can
    >> copy the profiles from one Windows user account to another if you are
    >> logged on as an Administrator.
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq.html
    >> http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/
    >> http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    >> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    >>
    >> However, the question is: why have the same FF and TB data in
    >> different Windows accounts? Or, if the accounts are the same, why
    >> even have two accounts?
    >>

    > First, thanks and thanks for the references.
    >
    > Now to why. My wife does not use most of what is on the default desktop
    > and crabs about the clutter. I am attempting to clean up her desktop so
    > it is asthetetically more pleasing an less cluttered, and just separate
    > it out a bit.

    Ok. Just be aware that if you want both profiles to be exactly the same
    you've got a synchronization issue to deal with as the data (bookmarks,
    mail, passwords, cookies, etc.) are stored in the profile(s) and will
    drift out of sync with usage. If you want both users to share a profile
    I believe you can do that if both users are Administrators.
    Administrators in Windows XP have access to all the accounts on the
    system. Never tried it myself as I'm the only user of my systems.
    Perhaps someone else can chime in here on the exact procedure for
    setting this up?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 26, 2006
  5. Dan C

    Dan C Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> All of those settings are stored in the FF and TB "profiles." You
    >>> can copy the profiles from one Windows user account to another if you
    >>> are logged on as an Administrator.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq.html
    >>> http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/
    >>> http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    >>> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    >>>
    >>> However, the question is: why have the same FF and TB data in
    >>> different Windows accounts? Or, if the accounts are the same, why
    >>> even have two accounts?
    >>>

    >> First, thanks and thanks for the references.
    >>
    >> Now to why. My wife does not use most of what is on the default
    >> desktop and crabs about the clutter. I am attempting to clean up her
    >> desktop so it is asthetetically more pleasing an less cluttered, and
    >> just separate it out a bit.

    > Ok. Just be aware that if you want both profiles to be exactly the same
    > you've got a synchronization issue to deal with as the data (bookmarks,
    > mail, passwords, cookies, etc.) are stored in the profile(s) and will
    > drift out of sync with usage. If you want both users to share a profile
    > I believe you can do that if both users are Administrators.
    > Administrators in Windows XP have access to all the accounts on the
    > system. Never tried it myself as I'm the only user of my systems.
    > Perhaps someone else can chime in here on the exact procedure for
    > setting this up?

    I will quit using the original. The synchronizing will
    not be a problem. And she uses Netscape. Thanks though
    for your insights.

    Dan C, Nov 27, 2006