    it so I can view all files?? Is there a setting adjustment?? - I cant find it??

    Help appreciated.

    Thanks. R.
    R, Oct 30, 2004

  2. R

    PseUDO Guest

    Re: XP - perhaps I hate it??? or am I just getting use to it?? Howdo I....??

    R wrote:
    > I've recently upgraded to XP and its taking a bit of getting use to.
    > My main problem with it is when I want to use windows explorer
    > (the file manager) to find and manage files - they seem to have tried
    > to child proof it and it doesn't let me look at C:\ or programe files etc.
    > How do I get around this - I've used the search feature and kind of gotten
    > around it that way from time to time but it's a nuisance. So how do I set
    > it so I can view all files?? Is there a setting adjustment?? - I cant find it??
    >
    > Help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks. R.

    Go to "folder options" in the control panel and then click the "View"
    tab, and make sure that the "show hidden files and folders" box is ticked.

    That should do it.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Oct 30, 2004

  3. R

    XPD Guest

    < :) (R)> wrote in message
    > I've recently upgraded to XP and its taking a bit of getting use to.
    > My main problem with it is when I want to use windows explorer
    > (the file manager) to find and manage files - they seem to have tried
    > to child proof it and it doesn't let me look at C:\ or programe files etc.
    > How do I get around this - I've used the search feature and kind of gotten
    > around it that way from time to time but it's a nuisance. So how do I set
    > it so I can view all files?? Is there a setting adjustment?? - I cant find

    it??

    Ive had XP installed (Pro and Home) and hated both editions.... some
    features were nice/needed but overall it didnt make a good impression on
    myself. So back to good old reliable Win 2k Pro :)
    Couple of my friends swear by XP, so for some people its great. Guess it
    depends what you want and are doing on the computer :)
    XPD, Oct 30, 2004
  4. R

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:46:26 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > Its funny, isn't it? I built a computer for my mother for Internet
    > out of old parts, based on my old K6-2/550 mobo, 256Mb RAM, installing
    > Win98SE with 98Lite. She suddenly bought a new machine with XP and,
    > of course, had problems with it straight away. Eventually I sold the
    > K6 machine to a friend as a second computer to his Pentium III 800MHz
    > running XP. These quotes are from three different e-mails from him
    > about it:
    >
    > "It is blazingly fast under light load, faster than the Pentium III
    > 800".
    >
    > "I will try to keep 98lite for as long as I can as the speed that it
    > starts up is incredible for a 550mhz".
    >
    > "Had another session on it this arvo and it is just sooooo fast!"

    There you go, ligthen the load and thing go faster. A machine which
    struggles with GUI hums along in text only mode. Ask a Penguin server.

    Bittorrent is another example of lightening the load to make things go
    faster.
    Gordon, Oct 30, 2004
  5. R

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:43:24 +0000, me wrote:

    > I've recently upgraded to XP and its taking a bit of getting use to.
    > My main problem with it is when I want to use windows explorer
    > (the file manager) to find and manage files - they seem to have tried
    > to child proof it and it doesn't let me look at C:\ or programe files etc.

    Hang in there, it will numb your brain given time, or make an alternative
    OS look and act the way you want it to do.
    Gordon, Oct 30, 2004
  6. R

    GraB Guest

    GraB, Oct 30, 2004
  7. Re: XP - perhaps I hate it??? or am I just getting use to it?? Howdo I....??

    GraB wrote:
    > Its funny, isn't it? I built a computer for my mother for Internet
    > out of old parts, based on my old K6-2/550 mobo, 256Mb RAM, installing
    > Win98SE with 98Lite. She suddenly bought a new machine with XP and,
    > of course, had problems with it straight away. Eventually I sold the
    > K6 machine to a friend as a second computer to his Pentium III 800MHz
    > running XP. These quotes are from three different e-mails from him
    > about it:

    sniped interesting quotes.

    the P3 was hardly the CPU available when the OS came out, it was
    available well before the launch of XP.
    and the K6-2, was available well after the launch of win-98...
    so, it is hardly a fair comparison.

    eg, when I got a new PC in 98, it was a P2 266, the latest CPU
    available(with a 4MB voodoo add on card - yeah baby!).

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 30, 2004
  8. R

    Geronimo Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:22:52 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >R wrote:
    >> I've recently upgraded to XP and its taking a bit of getting use to.
    >> My main problem with it is when I want to use windows explorer
    >> (the file manager) to find and manage files - they seem to have tried
    >> to child proof it and it doesn't let me look at C:\ or programe files etc.
    >> How do I get around this - I've used the search feature and kind of gotten
    >> around it that way from time to time but it's a nuisance. So how do I set
    >> it so I can view all files?? Is there a setting adjustment?? - I cant find it??
    >>
    >> Help appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks. R.
    >>

    >Go to "folder options" in the control panel and then click the "View"
    >tab, and make sure that the "show hidden files and folders" box is ticked.
    >
    >That should do it.
    >
    >PseUDO

    And show file extensions of know types..

    Plus select Apply to all folders..

    Plus you don't have to use the Icon mode, I prefer the view Detailed one..

    Plus select Apply to all folders..
    Geronimo, Oct 30, 2004
  9. R

    Geronimo wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:22:52 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote:
    >

    >>R wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've recently upgraded to XP and its taking a bit of getting use to.
    >>>My main problem with it is when I want to use windows explorer
    >>>(the file manager) to find and manage files - they seem to have tried
    >>>to child proof it and it doesn't let me look at C:\ or programe files etc.
    >>>How do I get around this - I've used the search feature and kind of gotten
    >>>around it that way from time to time but it's a nuisance. So how do I set
    >>>it so I can view all files?? Is there a setting adjustment?? - I cant find it??
    >>>
    >>>Help appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks. R.
    >>>

    >>Go to "folder options" in the control panel and then click the "View"
    >>tab, and make sure that the "show hidden files and folders" box is ticked.
    >>
    >>That should do it.
    >>
    >>PseUDO

    > And show file extensions of know types..
    >
    > Plus select Apply to all folders..
    >
    > Plus you don't have to use the Icon mode, I prefer the view Detailed one..
    >
    > Plus select Apply to all folders..

    Yep the "hide known file extensions", was real bad planning by
    Microsoft, the randompicture.jpg.pif type virus where the .pif is hidden
    gets a lot of new users!.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Oct 30, 2004
  10. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:46:26 +1300, GraB <> says...
    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:32:45 +1300, "XPD" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >< :) (R)> wrote in message
    > >> I've recently upgraded to XP and its taking a bit of getting use to.
    > >> My main problem with it is when I want to use windows explorer
    > >> (the file manager) to find and manage files - they seem to have tried
    > >> to child proof it and it doesn't let me look at C:\ or programe files etc.
    > >> How do I get around this - I've used the search feature and kind of gotten
    > >> around it that way from time to time but it's a nuisance. So how do I set
    > >> it so I can view all files?? Is there a setting adjustment?? - I cant find

    > >it??
    > >
    > >Ive had XP installed (Pro and Home) and hated both editions.... some
    > >features were nice/needed but overall it didnt make a good impression on
    > >myself. So back to good old reliable Win 2k Pro :)
    > >Couple of my friends swear by XP, so for some people its great. Guess it
    > >depends what you want and are doing on the computer :)
    > >

    > Its funny, isn't it? I built a computer for my mother for Internet
    > out of old parts, based on my old K6-2/550 mobo, 256Mb RAM, installing
    > Win98SE with 98Lite. She suddenly bought a new machine with XP and,
    > of course, had problems with it straight away. Eventually I sold the
    > K6 machine to a friend as a second computer to his Pentium III 800MHz
    > running XP. These quotes are from three different e-mails from him
    > about it:
    >
    > "It is blazingly fast under light load, faster than the Pentium III
    > 800".
    >
    > "I will try to keep 98lite for as long as I can as the speed that it
    > starts up is incredible for a 550mhz".
    >
    > "Had another session on it this arvo and it is just sooooo fast!"

    And 98 crashes a lot more and gets corrupted much more readily than XP,
    go figure
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 30, 2004
  11. R

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:32:45 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > < :) (R)> wrote in message
    >> I've recently upgraded to XP and its taking a bit of getting use to.
    >> My main problem with it is when I want to use windows explorer
    >> (the file manager) to find and manage files - they seem to have tried
    >> to child proof it and it doesn't let me look at C:\ or programe files etc.
    >> How do I get around this - I've used the search feature and kind of gotten
    >> around it that way from time to time but it's a nuisance. So how do I set
    >> it so I can view all files?? Is there a setting adjustment?? - I cant find

    > it??
    >
    > Ive had XP installed (Pro and Home) and hated both editions.... some
    > features were nice/needed but overall it didnt make a good impression on
    > myself. So back to good old reliable Win 2k Pro :)
    > Couple of my friends swear by XP, so for some people its great. Guess it
    > depends what you want and are doing on the computer :)

    Its great once you trim all the extras off, disable all those useless
    services (eg Windows image acquisition). Especially important is that you
    disable the service called "themes" and set your theme to windows classic
    in display properties. If you want it really lean (eg for gaming) you can
    set your shell to something other than explorer, and you will still be able
    to use windows explorer without it loading the whole shell.
    -[Myth]-, Oct 30, 2004
  12. R

    R Guest

    Re: XP - perhaps I hate it??? or am I just getting use to it?? Howdo I....??

    In article <%mGgd.24062$>, says...

    >Geronimo wrote:

    >>>Go to "folder options" in the control panel and then click the "View"
    >>>tab, and make sure that the "show hidden files and folders" box is ticked.
    >>>
    >>>That should do it.
    >>>
    >>>PseUDO

    >> And show file extensions of know types..
    >>
    >> Plus select Apply to all folders..
    >>
    >> Plus you don't have to use the Icon mode, I prefer the view Detailed one..
    >>
    >> Plus select Apply to all folders..

    >Yep the "hide known file extensions", was real bad planning by
    >Microsoft, the randompicture.jpg.pif type virus where the .pif is hidden
    >gets a lot of new users!.
    >
    >PseUDO

    Well thats helped. Ta. Still cant see c:\ in win explorer though.. but I can
    see that I can get get access to it from my computer and clicking the C: icon ...
    Just takes some adjustment. Thanks.
    R, Oct 30, 2004
  13. R

    R Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:43:24 +0000, me wrote:
    >
    >> I've recently upgraded to XP and its taking a bit of getting use to.
    >> My main problem with it is when I want to use windows explorer
    >> (the file manager) to find and manage files - they seem to have tried
    >> to child proof it and it doesn't let me look at C:\ or programe files etc.

    >Hang in there, it will numb your brain given time, or make an alternative
    >OS look and act the way you want it to do.

    Yip... brain is numbing.. :)
    R, Oct 30, 2004
  14. R

    R wrote:
    > In article <%mGgd.24062$>, says...
    >
    >>Geronimo wrote:

    >>>And show file extensions of know types..
    >>>
    >>>Plus select Apply to all folders..
    >>>
    >>>Plus you don't have to use the Icon mode, I prefer the view Detailed one..
    >>>
    >>>Plus select Apply to all folders..

    >>Yep the "hide known file extensions", was real bad planning by
    >>Microsoft, the randompicture.jpg.pif type virus where the .pif is hidden
    >>gets a lot of new users!.
    >>
    >>PseUDO

    > Well thats helped. Ta. Still cant see c:\ in win explorer though.. but I can
    > see that I can get get access to it from my computer and clicking the C: icon ...
    > Just takes some adjustment. Thanks.

    In windows explorer the C:/ is also under the "my computer" section, you
    can also right click on the drive and rename is to whatever suits, i
    call mine "Hard Disk" !!.

    If you still cant see it, then it is most likely that you are using an
    OEM version of windows from HP or DELL etc, and they have set it to be
    hidden!.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Oct 30, 2004
  15. R

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:41:45 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

    > R wrote:

    >>>Yep the "hide known file extensions", was real bad planning by
    >>>Microsoft, the randompicture.jpg.pif type virus where the .pif is hidden
    >>>gets a lot of new users!.
    >>>
    >>>PseUDO

    >> Well thats helped. Ta. Still cant see c:\ in win explorer though.. but I can
    >> see that I can get get access to it from my computer and clicking the C: icon ...
    >> Just takes some adjustment. Thanks.
    >>

    > In windows explorer the C:/ is also under the "my computer" section, you
    > can also right click on the drive and rename is to whatever suits, i
    > call mine "Hard Disk" !!.
    >
    > If you still cant see it, then it is most likely that you are using an
    > OEM version of windows from HP or DELL etc, and they have set it to be
    > hidden!.
    >
    > PseUDO

    try this: run cmd.exe, type "cd \"
    then type "explorer ."
    -[Myth]-, Oct 30, 2004
  16. R

    xyz Guest

    Re: XP - perhaps I hate it??? or am I just getting use to it?? Howdo I....??

    In article <4NUgd.24102$>, says...

    >R wrote:

    >>>Yep the "hide known file extensions", was real bad planning by
    >>>Microsoft, the randompicture.jpg.pif type virus where the .pif is hidden
    >>>gets a lot of new users!.
    >>>
    >>>PseUDO

    >> Well thats helped. Ta. Still cant see c:\ in win explorer though.. but I can
    >> see that I can get get access to it from my computer and clicking the C: icon ...
    >> Just takes some adjustment. Thanks.
    >>

    >In windows explorer the C:/ is also under the "my computer" section, you
    >can also right click on the drive and rename is to whatever suits, i
    >call mine "Hard Disk" !!.
    >
    >If you still cant see it, then it is most likely that you are using an
    >OEM version of windows from HP or DELL etc, and they have set it to be
    >hidden!.
    >
    >PseUDO

    Found it as you said. Thanks, not that hard eh..
    I guess I like it ok now... just takes a bit of learning after W98. Ta. R.
    xyz, Oct 31, 2004
  17. R

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on
    > Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:46:26 +1300, GraB <> says...
    >
    >>On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:32:45 +1300, "XPD" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>< :) (R)> wrote in message

    >>>it??
    >>>
    >>>Ive had XP installed (Pro and Home) and hated both editions.... some
    >>>features were nice/needed but overall it didnt make a good impression on
    >>>myself. So back to good old reliable Win 2k Pro :)
    >>>Couple of my friends swear by XP, so for some people its great. Guess it
    >>>depends what you want and are doing on the computer :)
    >>>

    >>Its funny, isn't it? I built a computer for my mother for Internet
    >>out of old parts, based on my old K6-2/550 mobo, 256Mb RAM, installing
    >>Win98SE with 98Lite. She suddenly bought a new machine with XP and,
    >>of course, had problems with it straight away. Eventually I sold the
    >>K6 machine to a friend as a second computer to his Pentium III 800MHz
    >>running XP. These quotes are from three different e-mails from him
    >>about it:
    >>
    >>"It is blazingly fast under light load, faster than the Pentium III
    >>800".
    >>
    >>"I will try to keep 98lite for as long as I can as the speed that it
    >>starts up is incredible for a 550mhz".
    >>
    >>"Had another session on it this arvo and it is just sooooo fast!"

    > And 98 crashes a lot more and gets corrupted much more readily than XP,
    > go figure

    I actually found that using 98lite as an installer for win98SE made
    win98SE more stable and faster loading than win98SE on it's own (I had 1
    PC running for a month before I had to shut it down - so I could move
    it). XP has never crashed in the four months I have been using it.
    While some programs have crashed, they have never taken the OS with it.
    I have also found that XP takes longer to load, but have found that
    many services are started when the OS is booted that aren't actually
    required (for me, at least). I am working through a list at:
    http://www.blackviper.com/index.html - someone posted this link recently
    in this NG and am looking at disabling a few. It will be interesting to
    see how this effects performance (boot time at least).

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 31, 2004
  18. R

    GraB Guest

    >>>Its funny, isn't it? I built a computer for my mother for Internet
    >>>out of old parts, based on my old K6-2/550 mobo, 256Mb RAM, installing
    >>>Win98SE with 98Lite. She suddenly bought a new machine with XP and,
    >>>of course, had problems with it straight away. Eventually I sold the
    >>>K6 machine to a friend as a second computer to his Pentium III 800MHz
    >>>running XP. These quotes are from three different e-mails from him
    >>>about it:
    >>>
    >>>"It is blazingly fast under light load, faster than the Pentium III
    >>>800".
    >>>
    >>>"I will try to keep 98lite for as long as I can as the speed that it
    >>>starts up is incredible for a 550mhz".
    >>>
    >>>"Had another session on it this arvo and it is just sooooo fast!"

    >> And 98 crashes a lot more and gets corrupted much more readily than XP,
    >> go figure

    My present installation of 98SE / 98Lite has been going for a few
    years now without reinstallation. Better the devil you know, I say.

    >I actually found that using 98lite as an installer for win98SE made
    >win98SE more stable and faster loading than win98SE on it's own (I had 1
    >PC running for a month before I had to shut it down - so I could move
    >it).

    That is what I have found. I am prepared to tollerate the occasional
    crash for the speed. I still can see no actual need to go to XP. If
    I ever did I would wait until it comes out with SP2 integrated and a
    version of XP Lite exists that is compatible with it.
    GraB, Nov 1, 2004