    problems could be due to I/O requests being congested; although this is
    pure speculation on my part. Any ideas guys?

    Cas
    Caseem, Jan 18, 2007

  2. Caseem

    Alasdair Guest

    On 18 Jan 2007 13:20:44 -0800, "Caseem" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I built a pc for myself about a year ago. All was fine until about a
    >week ago, and now whenever I play DVDs the sound is distorted and has
    >background crackling. I initially thought it was a problem with the
    >onboard soundcard, but after I played a CD I found that music audio was
    >fine. I also played mp3s and video files on the hard disk, which were
    >fine. Therefore Im unsure of what the problem could be. One thing
    >unusual on my computer is that there are 3 DVD drives (two writers and
    >one player set to a different region), and I was wondering if the
    >problems could be due to I/O requests being congested; although this is
    >pure speculation on my part. Any ideas guys?
    >
    >Cas

    I'm intrigued as to why you need 3 DVD drives. There is software
    available which will allow your DVD drive to play DVDs from any
    region.

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Jan 18, 2007

  3. Caseem

    Rod Speed Guest

    Caseem <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I built a pc for myself about a year ago. All was fine until about a
    > week ago, and now whenever I play DVDs the sound is distorted and has
    > background crackling. I initially thought it was a problem with the
    > onboard soundcard, but after I played a CD I found that music audio
    > was fine. I also played mp3s and video files on the hard disk, which
    > were fine. Therefore Im unsure of what the problem could be. One thing
    > unusual on my computer is that there are 3 DVD drives (two writers and
    > one player set to a different region), and I was wondering if the
    > problems could be due to I/O requests being congested;

    Shouldnt be if you get that effect with only one of the drives in use.

    > although this is pure speculation on my part. Any ideas guys?

    Check whether PIO is being used for the DVD drive.

    Win will turn DMA off when CRC errors are seen with a drive.
    That is usually due to a bad ribbon cable. If you replace the
    ribbon cable with a good one, you need to manually turn DMA
    on again and you cant do that in the device manager.
    Rod Speed, Jan 18, 2007
  4. Caseem

    Edwardo Guest

    It could also be not having the right codecs.Did you install any audio and
    video codecs.As I had a dvd that played fine in pc but when played on home
    player it was picture with crackly interference and sound was only heard
    from it.Make sure you have a codecs pack installed like k-lite codecs pack
    or winxp codec pack.You can type these names in google and downnload
    them.K-Lite plays most formats with sound and picture.
    Edwardo, Jan 19, 2007
  5. Caseem

    Caseem Guest

    Thanks to everyone who responded.

    1) Codecs are fine. I can play video and audio files perfectly when I
    am not using a DVD disk.

    2) I know there are supposedly software to make your DVD drives region
    free, but the only one I have tried is DVD Genie, which did not work -
    although the version I tried was from a few years ago. As I have 3 DVD
    drives, I am perfectly happy to let one run on region 1 for American
    disks, while the others are region 2.

    3) The ribbon is plausible I suppose. Interestingly, if I play a video
    file such as an avi or mpeg on a DVD R on the DVD drive, then it is
    fine. The issue is only with pre recorded DVD disks. The region 1 DVD
    -which is connected to a different cable- is fine too. Incidentally,
    how do you manually turn on DMA?

    Thanks for all your help,

    Cas
    Caseem, Jan 22, 2007
  6. Caseem

    1932 Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
    1932, Jan 22, 2007
  7. Caseem

    JAD Guest

    "Caseem" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks to everyone who responded.
    >
    > 1) Codecs are fine. I can play video and audio files perfectly when I
    > am not using a DVD disk.

    your not understanding codecs, find a better DVD decoder that is compatable
    with your player.

    JAD, Jan 22, 2007
  8. Caseem

    Rod Speed Guest

    Caseem <> wrote:
    > Thanks to everyone who responded.
    >
    > 1) Codecs are fine. I can play video and audio files perfectly when I
    > am not using a DVD disk.
    >
    > 2) I know there are supposedly software to make your DVD drives region
    > free, but the only one I have tried is DVD Genie, which did not work -
    > although the version I tried was from a few years ago. As I have 3 DVD
    > drives, I am perfectly happy to let one run on region 1 for American
    > disks, while the others are region 2.
    >
    > 3) The ribbon is plausible I suppose. Interestingly, if I play a video
    > file such as an avi or mpeg on a DVD R on the DVD drive, then it is
    > fine. The issue is only with pre recorded DVD disks. The region 1 DVD
    > -which is connected to a different cable- is fine too.

    What matters is whether DMA is actually being used.

    > Incidentally, how do you manually turn on DMA?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472/
    the workaround section.
    Rod Speed, Jan 22, 2007
  9. Caseem

    Rod Speed Guest

    1932 <> wrote:
    > "Caseem" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks to everyone who responded.
    >>
    >> 1) Codecs are fine. I can play video and audio files perfectly when I
    >> am not using a DVD disk.
    >>
    >> 2) I know there are supposedly software to make your DVD drives
    >> region free, but the only one I have tried is DVD Genie, which did
    >> not work - although the version I tried was from a few years ago. As
    >> I have 3 DVD drives, I am perfectly happy to let one run on region 1
    >> for American disks, while the others are region 2.
    >>
    >> 3) The ribbon is plausible I suppose. Interestingly, if I play a
    >> video file such as an avi or mpeg on a DVD R on the DVD drive, then
    >> it is fine. The issue is only with pre recorded DVD disks. The
    >> region 1 DVD -which is connected to a different cable- is fine too.
    >> Incidentally, how do you manually turn on DMA?
    >>

    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

    That wont work if Win has turned off the DMA because of CRC errors with the drive.
    Rod Speed, Jan 22, 2007