    In Win XP, is it possible for an administrator to override the password of
    somebody with just a regular account? If so how is this done?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Frank, Dec 12, 2004

  2. Frank

    John Holmes Guest

    Frank came up with this:

    > In Win XP, is it possible for an administrator to override the
    > password of somebody with just a regular account? If so how is this
    > done? Thanks in advance for any replies.

    Rightclick "My Computer", click "manage", scroll down to "user accounts",
    click "users", in the right pane, right click the user name which you want
    to reset the password and click "reset password", enter the new password
    and you're all done.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
    John Holmes, Dec 12, 2004

  3. Frank

    °Mike° Guest

    Ask the administrator. If that's you, then RTFM.

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:49:25 GMT, in
    <F%Xud.248$>
    Frank scrawled:

    >In Win XP, is it possible for an administrator to override the password of
    >somebody with just a regular account? If so how is this done?
    >Thanks in advance for any replies.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 12, 2004
  4. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Ask the administrator. If that's you, then RTFM.

    Ok, I asked a civil question!
    I don't have "TFM"
    Maybe you should have "RTFQ" properly,
    I am asking if it possible for the "ADMINISTRATOR" to override the password
    of a "REGULAR USER"? If so, how is it done? If you are not able to answer
    the question, then why don't you "STFU"?
    The mind boggles!

    Frank, Dec 12, 2004
  5. Frank

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:29:52 GMT, in
    <4m_ud.381$>
    Frank scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Ask the administrator. If that's you, then RTFM.

    >Ok, I asked a civil question!

    And I gave a civil answer.

    >I don't have "TFM"

    Yes, you do. It's called Help & Support.

    >Maybe you should have "RTFQ" properly,

    Oh, I did that, thanks.

    >I am asking if it possible for the "ADMINISTRATOR" to override
    >the password of a "REGULAR USER"?

    Yes, it is.

    >If so, how is it done?

    As I said, ask the administrator.

    >If you are not able to answer the question, then why don't you "STFU"?

    I'm quite able, thanks, and request denied.

    >The mind boggles!

    Yep, when a supposed administrator doesn't know how
    to take ownership, the mind does boggle a tad....

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 12, 2004
  6. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > >The mind boggles!

    > Yep, when a supposed administrator doesn't know how
    > to take ownership, the mind does boggle a tad....

    Ok let me try to explain in simple terms for you, I am the owner of the comp
    and so far I am not sure how to solve the problem in hand, that is why I
    asked the question on "24hoursupport.helpdesk" You must realise that we are
    not all as clever as you and some of us need to ask questions, maybe you
    think that this is the wrong newsgroup for this sort of question? If so,
    which would be the right one?
    Frank, Dec 12, 2004
  7. Frank

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:51:59 GMT, in
    <PG_ud.399$>
    Frank scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> >The mind boggles!

    >> Yep, when a supposed administrator doesn't know how
    >> to take ownership, the mind does boggle a tad....
    >>

    >Ok let me try to explain in simple terms for you, I am the owner of the comp
    >and so far I am not sure how to solve the problem in hand, that is why I
    >asked the question on "24hoursupport.helpdesk"

    Ok, let me try to explain: when somebody says "how do
    I override a password", or "how do I negate a password",
    the alarm bells begin to ring.

    > You must realise that we are
    >not all as clever as you and some of us need to ask questions,

    That is *your* assumption, not mine.

    >maybe you think that this is the wrong newsgroup for this sort of question?

    I have been reading this newsgroups long enough to know
    that there is NO specific topic to this group.

    >If so, which would be the right one?

    This group will do fine. Here, do some reading:

    To change a user's password
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/UA_Password_Change.asp

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 12, 2004
  8. Howdy!

    "Frank" <> wrote in message

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > > Ask the administrator. If that's you, then RTFM.

    > Ok, I asked a civil question!
    > I don't have "TFM"

    You mean you don't even have the COMPUTER???

    I mean - if you go into Users and Groups control panel, and "Change
    an Account", one of the choices is to change the password.

    All you would have to do, if you're the administrator, is to just
    use Eyeball Mark 1 to READ THE SCREEN!

    > Maybe you should have "RTFQ" properly,

    He did. What part do you think Mike didn't understand?

    > I am asking if it possible for the "ADMINISTRATOR" to override the

    password
    > of a "REGULAR USER"? If so, how is it done? If you are not able to answer
    > the question, then why don't you "STFU"?

    He did. I did. You could if you'd bother RTFM. Which said FM is
    not only in menu choices, but also in Start --> Help (for Classic
    Interface - if you're in the TeleTubbies interface, it's somewhere, but
    damfino where.)

    > The mind boggles!

    It truly does at an "administrator" for a computer that can't even
    read the screens ...

    > > >In Win XP, is it possible for an administrator to override the password

    > of
    > > >somebody with just a regular account? If so how is this done?
    > > >Thanks in advance for any replies.

    Now, there's another possibility for your question - and that is to
    log on as the user without knowing the password, and not change it. If so,
    then no, unless you can social engineer the password.

    So what I do when I'm virus cleaning a machine and don't have any of
    the passwords - is to clear the passwords (as Administrator) and have the
    end user reset them.

    No huhu.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 12, 2004
  9. Frank

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Ralph Wade Phillips vaguely muttered something like ...

    > So what I do when I'm virus cleaning a machine and don't have any
    > of the passwords - is to clear the passwords (as Administrator) and have
    > the end user reset them.

    Works every time .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
    Paul - xxx, Dec 12, 2004
  10. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Frank" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > > > Ask the administrator. If that's you, then RTFM.

    > > Ok, I asked a civil question!
    > > I don't have "TFM"

    > You mean you don't even have the COMPUTER???

    Of course I have the COMPUTER!!!

    > I mean - if you go into Users and Groups control panel, and

    "Change
    > an Account", one of the choices is to change the password.

    I don't want to change the password.

    > All you would have to do, if you're the administrator, is to just
    > use Eyeball Mark 1 to READ THE SCREEN!

    I've READ THE SCREEN!

    > > Maybe you should have "RTFQ" properly,

    > He did. What part do you think Mike didn't understand?

    The part where he thought I wanted to change the password!

    > > I am asking if it possible for the "ADMINISTRATOR" to override the

    > password
    > > of a "REGULAR USER"? If so, how is it done? If you are not able to

    answer
    > > the question, then why don't you "STFU"?

    > He did. I did. You could if you'd bother RTFM. Which said FM is
    > not only in menu choices, but also in Start --> Help (for Classic
    > Interface - if you're in the TeleTubbies interface, it's somewhere, but
    > damfino where.)

    Where in the FM or "help" does it explain how to override the other users
    password?
    For override, read "by-pass" not "change"!

    > > The mind boggles!

    > It truly does at an "administrator" for a computer that can't even
    > read the screens ...

    See above.....

    > Now, there's another possibility for your question - and that is

    > log on as the user without knowing the password, and not change it. If

    so,
    > then no, unless you can social engineer the password.

    At last, we seem to be getting there!
    And the answer was "NO"

    > RwP

    Thank You Ralph, for your prompt reply!
    Frank, Dec 12, 2004
  11. Frank

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:09:26 GMT, in
    <GH0vd.543$>
    Frank scrawled:

    >"Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    >> Howdy!

    <snip>

    >> He did. What part do you think Mike didn't understand?
    >>

    >The part where he thought I wanted to change the password!

    I never thought that at all. Would you care to show me
    where I said, or intimated that?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 12, 2004
  12. Frank

    Frank Guest

    > >> He did. What part do you think Mike didn't understand?
    > >>

    > >The part where he thought I wanted to change the password!

    > I never thought that at all. Would you care to show me
    > where I said, or intimated that?

    THIS PART:

    Frank, Dec 12, 2004
  13. Frank

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:00:32 GMT, in
    <k44vd.594$>
    Frank scrawled:

    >> >The part where he thought I wanted to change the password!

    >> I never thought that at all. Would you care to show me
    >> where I said, or intimated that?
    >>

    >THIS PART:
    >This group will do fine. Here, do some reading:
    >
    >To change a user's password
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/UA_Password_Change.asp

    It was a lead, with a prompt to do some reading. As
    I said at the beginning, if you are the administrator,
    you should know these things, or RTFM. I understood
    your request perfectly, and my reply to you of:

    <quote>
    Ok, let me try to explain: when somebody says "how do
    I override a password", or "how do I negate a password",
    the alarm bells begin to ring.
    <unquote>

    should have made that quite clear.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 12, 2004
  14. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:00:32 GMT, in
    > <k44vd.594$>
    > Frank scrawled:

    > >> I never thought that at all. Would you care to show me
    > >> where I said, or intimated that?
    > >>

    > >THIS PART:
    > >*********************************************
    > >This group will do fine. Here, do some reading:
    > >
    > >To change a user's password

    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/UA_Password_Cha

    nge.asp
    > >*********************************************

    > It was a lead, with a prompt to do some reading. As
    > I said at the beginning, if you are the administrator,
    > you should know these things, or RTFM. I understood
    > your request perfectly, and my reply to you of:
    >
    > <quote>
    > Ok, let me try to explain: when somebody says "how do
    > I override a password", or "how do I negate a password",
    > the alarm bells begin to ring.
    > <unquote>
    >
    > should have made that quite clear.

    Ok "Numbnuts" you are beginning to bore me now! The answer that I needed was
    given by Ralph a while back, so you can now consider yourself dismissed!
    PLONK!
    Frank, Dec 12, 2004
  15. Frank

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:35:25 GMT, in
    <1B4vd.608$>
    Frank scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:00:32 GMT, in
    >> <k44vd.594$>
    >> Frank scrawled:

    >> >THIS PART:
    >> >*********************************************
    >> >This group will do fine. Here, do some reading:
    >> >
    >> >To change a user's password

    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/UA_Password_Cha

    >nge.asp
    >> >*********************************************

    >> It was a lead, with a prompt to do some reading. As
    >> I said at the beginning, if you are the administrator,
    >> you should know these things, or RTFM. I understood
    >> your request perfectly, and my reply to you of:
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> Ok, let me try to explain: when somebody says "how do
    >> I override a password", or "how do I negate a password",
    >> the alarm bells begin to ring.
    >> <unquote>
    >>
    >> should have made that quite clear.

    >Ok "Numbnuts" you are beginning to bore me now! The answer that I needed was
    >given by Ralph a while back, so you can now consider yourself dismissed!
    >PLONK!

    Oh dear, I've been plonked again...what will I do? WHAT WILL I DO?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 12, 2004
  16. Frank

    TJ Guest

    In news:,
    °Mike° <> typed:

    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:35:25 GMT, in
    > <1B4vd.608$>
    > Frank scrawled:
    >

    >> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:00:32 GMT, in
    >>> <k44vd.594$>
    >>> Frank scrawled:

    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/UA_Password_Cha

    >> nge.asp
    >>>
    >>> It was a lead, with a prompt to do some reading. As
    >>> I said at the beginning, if you are the administrator,
    >>> you should know these things, or RTFM. I understood
    >>> your request perfectly, and my reply to you of:
    >>>
    >>> <quote>
    >>> Ok, let me try to explain: when somebody says "how do
    >>> I override a password", or "how do I negate a password",
    >>> the alarm bells begin to ring.
    >>> <unquote>
    >>>
    >>> should have made that quite clear.

    >> Ok "Numbnuts" you are beginning to bore me now! The answer that I
    >> needed was given by Ralph a while back, so you can now consider
    >> yourself dismissed! PLONK!

    > Oh dear, I've been plonked again...what will I do? WHAT WILL I DO?

    Do what you always do. Google for possible answers, then post some links
    for yourself to read.
    TJ, Dec 13, 2004
  17. Frank

    TJ Guest

    In news:1B4vd.608$,
    Frank <> wrote the following:

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:00:32 GMT, in
    >> <k44vd.594$>
    >> Frank scrawled:

    >>> THIS PART:
    >>> *********************************************
    >>> This group will do fine. Here, do some reading:
    >>>
    >>> To change a user's password

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/UA_Password_Cha

    > nge.asp
    >>> *********************************************

    >> It was a lead, with a prompt to do some reading. As
    >> I said at the beginning, if you are the administrator,
    >> you should know these things, or RTFM. I understood
    >> your request perfectly, and my reply to you of:
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> Ok, let me try to explain: when somebody says "how do
    >> I override a password", or "how do I negate a password",
    >> the alarm bells begin to ring.
    >> <unquote>
    >>
    >> should have made that quite clear.

    > Ok "Numbnuts" you are beginning to bore me now!

    I'm surprised it took ya so long. The odd thing is, people here actually
    give the impression they respect that Google-searching, link-posting dweeb,
    even though he never seems to have an original thought in his head. Him
    giving you a link to "change" a password as opposed to "override" it, is
    just another prime example of his idiocy.

    Perhaps English isn't his native language, and he's unaware that override
    and change mean two different things? I don't know. But from lurking here
    a while I *DO* know .......

    Threads involving Mike tend to progress like this:

    OP: Question
    Mike: (48 links to possible answer he found on Google)
    OP: None of those links answer my question.
    Mike: You're stupid
    OP: Am not!
    Mike: Are too!
    And on and on.

    > The answer that I
    > needed was given by Ralph a while back, so you can now consider
    > yourself dismissed!

    Yes it was. And maybe if Mike ever gets a better newsfeed ... he'll be able
    to keep up.

    > PLONK!

    Dude? Publically plonking people is lame. I mean, do what ya have to do,
    but there's no need to announce it.

    Right, Mike?
    TJ, Dec 13, 2004
  18. Frank

    Rob K Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:38:27 +0000, °Mike° wrote:

    <snip>

    > Oh dear, I've been plonked again...what will I do? WHAT WILL I DO?

    Aye caramba, you're in trouble :)
    There's only one way out , ºMikeº. You'll have to organise a 24HSHD
    beach party, to be held sometime next summer, and it must be held in the
    UK - Isle of Wight, maybe ?

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Dec 13, 2004
  19. Frank

    trout Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > I'm surprised it took ya so long. The odd thing is, people here
    > actually give the impression they respect that Google-searching,
    > link-posting dweeb, even though he never seems to have an original
    > thought in his head. Him giving you a link to "change" a password as
    > opposed to "override" it, is
    > just another prime example of his idiocy.

    And just how long have you been sitting in the weeds with your shiny
    new sock, just waiting for a slip, to pop out piping "Aha!"?
    As you have no other posting history that you care to claim; I guess
    you're just another sad **** that lost an argument, and have been
    sulking in the bushes waiting for an opportunity to vent your poor hurt
    feelings. Pathetic.
    --
    "Boo hoo. Who fucking cares?"
    trout, Dec 14, 2004
  20. Frank

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:51:36 -0800, in
    <>
    trout scrawled:

    <snip>

    > And just how long have you been sitting in the weeds with your shiny
    >new sock, just waiting for a slip, to pop out piping "Aha!"?
    > As you have no other posting history that you care to claim; I guess
    >you're just another sad **** that lost an argument, and have been
    >sulking in the bushes waiting for an opportunity to vent your poor hurt
    >feelings. Pathetic.

    There are no prizes for guessing who the sock is.
    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2004