    HI all not sure if approp. group. My friend installed XP and forgot his PW,
    is there a way to recover this. I remember someone telling me of a program
    a few years ago just cant remember it.

    BJH, Oct 29, 2003

  2. BJH

    Kevin Guest

    You might try using the Windows help system on the machine. Go to
    Start>Help and Support>Security and privacy. There is such a thing as a
    password reset disk you can create under Windows XP but you have to do that
    before you initiate a password. I have never used a system password on any
    of my machines and don't see the advantage in doing so. You can forget
    them, lose them, mis-type them and then you are in trouble. Just don't let
    anyone you don't trust use your machine and you should be fine.

    Kevin, Oct 30, 2003

  3. BJH

    Vanguard Guest

    Winternals.com has Admin Pak (they don't list an online store price so
    it's probably pricey) and ERD Commander (for $200). I haven't used
    these products but only heard about their use from other users here.

    I thought there was some Unix/Linux utility, probably free, that could
    decrypt the password but you need to have that OS available and run the
    program from there. I also thought there was a max limit on the
    characters in a password that could be retrieved, like up to 8
    characters (but which might be enough to jog the user's memory for the
    rest of it).

    It's possible the user never specified a password (i.e., it was left
    blank). Did they try a blank password on login?

    A Google search on:

    +"Windows 2000" +"recover password"

    shows lots of possibilities.

    *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

    Vanguard, Oct 30, 2003
  4. BJH

    JT Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:08:54 GMT, "BJH" <> wrote:

    >HI all not sure if approp. group. My friend installed XP and forgot his PW,
    >is there a way to recover this. I remember someone telling me of a program
    >a few years ago just cant remember it.

    look at http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    It runs on a bootdisk, and actually has a minimal amount of Linux on the
    boot disk. You don't need Linux installed to use it.

    There is also a copy of this program on the Ultimate Boot CD, which boots
    from the CD and has many other useful tools.

    JT, Oct 30, 2003
  5. BJH

    Mimic Guest

    "BJH" <> wrote in message
    > HI all not sure if approp. group. My friend installed XP and forgot his

    PW,
    > is there a way to recover this. I remember someone telling me of a

    program
    > a few years ago just cant remember it.

    If he has been a little silly, ctrl-alt-del at the login prompt, Admin - no
    pass, reset pass.

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

    Mimic, Oct 30, 2003
  6. BJH

    Dazz Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:08:54 GMT, "BJH" <> wrote:

    >HI all not sure if approp. group. My friend installed XP and forgot his PW,
    >is there a way to recover this. I remember someone telling me of a program
    >a few years ago just cant remember it.

    You can follow JT's suggestion, or you can try this.

    http://www.google.com.au/groups?&lr=&hl=en

    I posted this a week or two or three back in this very group.

    Hope it helps.

    Dazz

    Dazz, Oct 30, 2003
  7. BJH