    put as the password. He can log onto his daughters part of windows XP who does
    not need a password, but does not have administator access.

    Any idea of how to recover his password?
    JAMEZY NJ, Dec 9, 2004

  2. JAMEZY NJ

    Duane Arnold Guest

    (JAMEZY NJ) wrote in
    news::

    > A buddy of mine called me with a problem he is having.
    >
    > Another one of his friends was helping him set up windows XP and asked
    > him what he wanted as his password. He said he didn't want a
    > password, but the idiot accidently put something there and does not
    > know what. Now it asks for a password for the administrator.
    >
    > He never had a password before and his friend does not know what he
    > could have put as the password. He can log onto his daughters part of
    > windows XP who does not need a password, but does not have
    > administator access.
    >
    > Any idea of how to recover his password?

    If the computer has a CD reader, then you can have an Ultimate Boot CD
    burned somehow and boot off of it. F4-Other Tools has a section that allows
    one to change the PSW for any user account on a NT Based O/S including the
    Admin account.

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 9, 2004

  3. JAMEZY NJ

    dan Guest

    Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (v041205)
    Petter Nordahl-Hagen has written a Windows NT/2000/XP offline password
    editor:

    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd

    a.. This is a utility to (re)set the password of any user that has a valid
    (local) account on your NT system, by modifying the encrypted password in
    the registry's SAM file.

    b.. You do not need to know the old password to set a new one.

    c.. It works offline, that is, you have to shutdown your computer and boot
    off a floppy disk or CD. The boot-disk includes stuff to access NTFS
    partitions and scripts to glue the whole thing together.

    d.. Works with syskey (no need to turn it off, but you can if you have
    lost the key)

    e.. Will detect and offer to unlock locked or disabled out user accounts!

    Caution: If used on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is
    XP or later service packs on W2K, all encrypted files for that user will be
    UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password
    again!

    dan, Dec 10, 2004