    So.. which one would be better for a Netbook?

    Thanks...

    annie

    NJ_Annie, Mar 23, 2010

  2. NJ_Annie

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The NJ_Annie Post:
    > Thinking of getting a Netbook and was wondering whether I should opt
    > for a unit with Win XP or Win 7 :starter"...???
    >
    > Which of the two operating systems would be better as far as running
    > programs, resource usage etc.... ?
    >
    > I've heard there are quite a few limitations for "starter" such as
    > program limits and changing wallpaper however I have seen several
    > workarounds to deal with these issues.
    >
    > So.. which one would be better for a Netbook?
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > annie

    Annie, this is a decision you should make so you are comfortable with
    the outcome what ever it might be. I personally would recommend Win
    7. I don't sit at my computer watching screen savers or the wall
    Paper so that should not enter into situations why not to use one OS
    or the other. Good luck in what ever you decide.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Mar 23, 2010

  3. OldGringo38 wrote:
    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The NJ_Annie Post:
    >> Thinking of getting a Netbook and was wondering whether I should opt
    >> for a unit with Win XP or Win 7 :starter"...???
    >>
    >> Which of the two operating systems would be better as far as running
    >> programs, resource usage etc.... ?
    >>
    >> I've heard there are quite a few limitations for "starter" such as
    >> program limits and changing wallpaper however I have seen several
    >> workarounds to deal with these issues.
    >>
    >> So.. which one would be better for a Netbook?
    >>
    >> Thanks...
    >>
    >> annie

    > Annie, this is a decision you should make so you are comfortable with
    > the outcome what ever it might be. I personally would recommend Win
    > 7. I don't sit at my computer watching screen savers or the wall
    > Paper so that should not enter into situations why not to use one OS
    > or the other. Good luck in what ever you decide.

    Annie, it is an intensely personal decision that only you can make.

    Me, I hate the miserable graphics and fonting of W7 - but it does a good
    deal that XP doesn't .... and better.

    It's great for netbooks because it's so resource-economic, but XP's better
    for gaming (if it's say, on the ION graphics chipset) and familiarity.

    Until MS stops putting that hideous halo around W7 fonts, I'm sticking with
    XP.

    For example: John Smith, Mar 23, 2010
  4. NJ_Annie

    Mike Easter Guest

    NJ_Annie wrote:
    > Thinking of getting a Netbook and was wondering whether I should opt
    > for a unit with Win XP or Win 7 :starter"...???

    Be careful you are actually comparing oranges with oranges in your
    shopping. Look at each netbook's resources, not just its OS.

    First read some articles like these:

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34483717/ Netbook decision: Windows XP or 7
    Starter?

    That article outlines a lot of advantages and disadvantages of each OS.

    XP is an old system with insecurities and weaknesses, but it uses less
    resources and may suit some of your existing apps better. Win7starter
    is too stripped down for some tastes.

    http://snipr.com/v0pqc Windows 7 Starter Edition Is Too Wimpy for New
    Netbooks

    That article just says that Win7SE is too wimpy and that a lot of modern
    netbooks have enough muscle and resources to run a better Win7, so some
    buyers will end up wanting to upgrade the OS, which will cost them $$.

    The netbooks I see advertised only offer the 'low end' - in terms of
    resources - models with XP. All of the stronger netbooks I see don't
    offer an XP choice, just Win7SE.

    I hear mostly positive things about Win7 - certainly compared to Vista -
    but I hear more negative things about the Starter Edition than positive.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 23, 2010
  5. NJ_Annie wrote:
    > Thinking of getting a Netbook and was wondering whether I should opt
    > for a unit with Win XP or Win 7 :starter"...???
    >
    > Which of the two operating systems would be better as far as running
    > programs, resource usage etc.... ?
    >
    > I've heard there are quite a few limitations for "starter" such as
    > program limits and changing wallpaper however I have seen several
    > workarounds to deal with these issues.

    I installed starter for my new 64bit computer and it pretty much
    sucked but now have 64bit home premium and I like it better than XP
    for a lot of reasons. You maybe could upgrade from home basic as an
    option. But I am
    seriously relieved I got my new computer with win7 instead of XP. A
    new install of xp has soo many security updates and currently win7 has
    only a few.

    Win7 has it's security benefits as far as windows goes also.

    monkeywintest, Mar 24, 2010