XP Or Vista Questions From "Sr. Citizen", Please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 10, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Am in my 70's now, and using XP on a 3 year old Dell Dimension.

    Looks like I will be in the market for a new PC soon.

    Frankly, XP seems to do just about everything I want, and have spent the
    requisite hours of aggravation learning it and its foibles.

    The idea of going to Vista on the new one doesn't actually thrill me, but I
    guess if I do, it will help keep my brain from atrophying even more.

    Questions, please:

    a. Is XP really a dead issue now, with most everyone ordering new desktops
    with Vista ?

    b. How steep a learning curve for Vista, realistically ?

    c. Am I worrying too much, probably, about going to Vista ?

    d. Should I just stick with, assuming I can order a new PC with it, XP, or
    does Vista truly offer "a lot" of "meaningful"
    improvements and enhancements ? What would be the major one(s) ?

    e. Likely that new software will require Vista, or more likely any new
    packages will run on both, just as well ?

    Much thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Nov 10, 2007

  2. Robert11

    sittingduck Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Questions, please:
    >
    > a. Is XP really a dead issue now, with most everyone ordering new
    > desktops with Vista ?

    No, Vista sucks.

    > b. How steep a learning curve for Vista, realistically ?

    See above.

    > c. Am I worrying too much, probably, about going to Vista ?

    No, Vista sucks.

    > d. Should I just stick with, assuming I can order a new PC with it, XP,
    > or does Vista truly offer "a lot" of "meaningful"
    > improvements and enhancements ? What would be the major one(s) ?

    Nothing significant. The negatives far outweigh the positives.

    > e. Likely that new software will require Vista, or more likely any new
    > packages will run on both, just as well ?

    Vista will run LESS software. DirectX 10 will supposedly be Vista only, but
    I'm guessing it will be hacked for XP.

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org
    sittingduck, Nov 10, 2007

  3. Robert11

    ded Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Am in my 70's now, and using XP on a 3 year old Dell Dimension.
    >
    > Looks like I will be in the market for a new PC soon.

    XP has many years left before it fizzles out, Microsoft continues
    to support XP, stick with it.

    > Frankly, XP seems to do just about everything I want, and have spent the
    > requisite hours of aggravation learning it and its foibles.

    Exactly, if it ain't broke.....

    > The idea of going to Vista on the new one doesn't actually thrill me, but
    > I guess if I do, it will help keep my brain from atrophying even more.
    >
    > Questions, please:
    >
    > a. Is XP really a dead issue now, with most everyone ordering new
    > desktops

    Certainly not. As above, XP will last a long time.

    > b. How steep a learning curve for Vista, realistically ?

    Nightmarish is Vista, many unresolved issues and hardware compatibility
    problems, so just one example, Printers.
    Vista requires specific drivers for hardware, but many Printer manufacturers
    are not releasing Vista compliant drivers even for printers that are only a
    few years old. The catch being, for a new Vista user is dubiously forced
    into buying a new "Vista complaint" printer.
    You may have a perfectly functioning printer fully compatible with XP,
    and it applies to all your hardware, but before considering Vista, check
    the hardware OEM's site to ensure Vista drivers are available and proven,
    otherwise you could be lumbered with Printers/Scanners/Digtal cameras etc
    that cannot be made to work with Vista. Likewise software.
    Buying into Vista could involve having to update a whole lot more and at
    a price. If XP is working fine for you - stick with it.

    > c. Am I worrying too much, probably, about going to Vista ?

    Yes you are, stop worrying, only consider Vista if you require something
    specific that they conived to ensure is only available with Vista, if XP
    does as you want then stick with it.
    ded, Nov 10, 2007
  4. Robert11

    SgtMinor Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Am in my 70's now, and using XP on a 3 year old Dell Dimension.
    >
    > Looks like I will be in the market for a new PC soon.
    >
    > Frankly, XP seems to do just about everything I want, and have spent the
    > requisite hours of aggravation learning it and its foibles.
    >
    > The idea of going to Vista on the new one doesn't actually thrill me, but I
    > guess if I do, it will help keep my brain from atrophying even more.
    >
    > Questions, please:
    >
    > a. Is XP really a dead issue now, with most everyone ordering new desktops
    > with Vista ?
    >
    > b. How steep a learning curve for Vista, realistically ?
    >
    > c. Am I worrying too much, probably, about going to Vista ?
    >
    > d. Should I just stick with, assuming I can order a new PC with it, XP, or
    > does Vista truly offer "a lot" of "meaningful"
    > improvements and enhancements ? What would be the major one(s) ?
    >
    > e. Likely that new software will require Vista, or more likely any new
    > packages will run on both, just as well ?
    >
    > Much thanks,
    > Bob

    A 3-year old computer, even a low end one, should be able to handle
    anything an average user would want to do. What are the problems you
    are having with it? Do you regularly remove cookies and various malware
    that gets installed? Some programs can be nasty too, and slow down a
    system's performance. For instance, do you have Norton or RealPlayer
    installed? To keep the system clean, do you have/use a firewall like
    ZoneAlarm, or cleanup tools like AdAware and Spybot? These a free tools
    that prevent or remove all sorts of nasty stuff.

    Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

    ZoneAlarm (look for the free version):
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/znalm/comparison.jsp

    AVG anti-virus: http://free.grisoft.com/

    And the general opinion seems to be not to move to Vista. Corporate
    users are staying away in droves.
    SgtMinor, Nov 10, 2007
  5. Robert11

    Tony Guest

    Vista = Shit

    Tony, Nov 10, 2007
  6. Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Am in my 70's now, and using XP on a 3 year old Dell Dimension.
    >
    > Looks like I will be in the market for a new PC soon.
    >
    > Frankly, XP seems to do just about everything I want, and have spent the
    > requisite hours of aggravation learning it and its foibles.
    >
    > The idea of going to Vista on the new one doesn't actually thrill me, but
    > I guess if I do, it will help keep my brain from atrophying even more.

    Maybe, but that sort of learning curve is not going deeper, just another
    arrangement of clickedie-clickies and another sort of annoyances. If you
    really want to learn new things, throw in a ubuntu live cd/dvd before you
    may continue using XP :)

    > Questions, please:
    >
    > a. Is XP really a dead issue now, with most everyone ordering new
    > desktops with Vista ?

    The problem is, most people who want new computers, only get them with
    Vista. You can purchase business pcs and business laptops with xp, which
    may be fine for you when I assume you are not into 3d games.

    > b. How steep a learning curve for Vista, realistically ?

    Rather steep for the outcome you get this time. Looks like it simply won't
    pay off for you.

    > c. Am I worrying too much, probably, about going to Vista ?
    >
    > d. Should I just stick with, assuming I can order a new PC with it, XP,
    > or does Vista truly offer "a lot" of "meaningful"
    > improvements and enhancements ? What would be the major one(s) ?

    Vista is a bit more secure when connected directly to the internet. However,
    there is a price to pay. And that price may get even higher, Small software
    companies or free- and shareware manufacturers might be forced out of
    business because they can't afford the checks and certificates needed to
    make their products run with Vista in a trusted mode.
    You can buy a cheap home router, alternative programs for e-mail and
    webbrowsing, apply common sense and you are on the safe side as well, with
    XP.

    > e. Likely that new software will require Vista, or more likely any new
    > packages will run on both, just as well ?

    Most commercial software still supports XP. Actually, that won't change for
    a few more years.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 10, 2007
  7. Robert11

    old man Guest

    To give one (bad?) example Dell sells 'business' PC's with winxp pro
    installed. They reintroduced winxp after a myriad of complaints about Vista

    old man, Nov 10, 2007
  8. Robert11

    old man Guest

    FWIW Vendors can supply Winxp PC's under their Licence with MS untill summer
    2008

    old man, Nov 10, 2007
  9. Robert11

    dadiOH Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Am in my 70's now, and using XP on a 3 year old Dell Dimension.
    >
    > Looks like I will be in the market for a new PC soon.

    Why???????

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Nov 10, 2007
  10. Robert11

    Ozark Guest

    On Nov 10, 7:14 am, "Robert11" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Am in my 70's now, and using XP on a 3 year old Dell Dimension.
    >
    > Looks like I will be in the market for a new PC soon.
    >
    > Frankly, XP seems to do just about everything I want, and have spent the
    > requisite hours of aggravation learning it and its foibles.
    >
    > The idea of going to Vista on the new one doesn't actually thrill me, but I
    > guess if I do, it will help keep my brain from atrophying even more.
    >
    > Questions, please:
    >
    > a. Is XP really a dead issue now, with most everyone ordering new desktops
    > with Vista ?
    >
    > b. How steep a learning curve for Vista, realistically ?
    >
    > c. Am I worrying too much, probably, about going to Vista ?
    >
    > d. Should I just stick with, assuming I can order a new PC with it, XP, or
    > does Vista truly offer "a lot" of "meaningful"
    > improvements and enhancements ? What would be the major one(s) ?
    >
    > e. Likely that new software will require Vista, or more likely any new
    > packages will run on both, just as well ?
    >
    > Much thanks,
    > Bob

    Hi Bob,

    I'm not a Vista user. I am a cheapskate. If your present computer does
    what you need to do, keep it. Hopefully by the time it dies or becomes
    obsolete Vista will have the bugs worked out or who knows, there may
    be a better OS available.

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Linux boys come up with
    something that is idiot proofed to the point that even I can use it
    without too much aggravation. :)
    Ozark, Nov 10, 2007
  11. Ozark wrote:

    > "Robert11" wrote:
    >> Am in my 70's now, and using XP on a 3 year old Dell Dimension.

    Ok... so you are a few years older than me.. but not much. I only play
    the Age Card when I go to the fast food restaurants, or other places
    where old-guy-discounts are offered.

    >> Looks like I will be in the market for a new PC soon.

    Has the old Dell quit working?

    >> c. Am I worrying too much, probably, about going to Vista ?

    Yes.

    > I'm not a Vista user. I am a cheapskate. If your present computer does
    > what you need to do, keep it.

    Agreed. I've got two here; one, a nice fast P4 3.2Ghz, and a PIII 650mHz
    about nine years old still working just fine, and still on its original
    installation of Windows 2000.

    > Hopefully by the time it dies or becomes obsolete Vista will have the
    > bugs worked out or who knows, there may be a better OS available.

    Some of us think there already is.

    > I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Linux boys come up with
    > something that is idiot proofed to the point that even I can use it
    > without too much aggravation. :)

    Get yourself a copy of Ubuntu, and run it as a LiveCD. See what you
    think. The only cost is a blank CD you have to burn once you've
    downloaded the .iso file.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2007
  12. Robert11

    Jerry G. Guest

    There are still many problems and issues with Vista. Most corporations
    and businesses are demanding XP-Pro.
    From most major manufactures, you can request for XP-Pro with a new PC.
    At this time, this would be your best solution.

    We've tested Vista at our company. There are so many issues with it, we
    will not touch it until it is properly fixed, and that it can give the
    same perphial support that XP-Pro offered. If XP-Pro cannot be
    available any more, we will go over to Linux, and pay the added training
    and conversion costs. We will have no other alternative.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Nov 11, 2007
  13. Jerry G. wrote:

    > If XP-Pro cannot be available any more, we will go over to Linux, and
    > pay the added training and conversion costs. We will have no other
    > alternative.

    Training and some geek time from the IT department. That's all.

    Think of all the money your company will save on licenses and office
    suites. ;-)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 11, 2007
  14. Robert11

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Am in my 70's now, and using XP on a 3 year old Dell Dimension.

    Just a little bit behind you Bob.

    > Looks like I will be in the market for a new PC soon.
    >
    > Frankly, XP seems to do just about everything I want, and have spent the
    > requisite hours of aggravation learning it and its foibles.

    Can I ask why you want/need a new computer then?

    > The idea of going to Vista on the new one doesn't actually thrill me, but
    > I guess if I do, it will help keep my brain from atrophying even more.

    Yep, it will do that. I bought two new laptops in the last couple of
    weeks, both with Vista, and had the same reservations as you are having.

    > Questions, please:
    >
    > a. Is XP really a dead issue now, with most everyone ordering new
    > desktops with Vista ?

    In my experience, yes. Vista seems to be taking over, at least where I
    live in Australia.

    > b. How steep a learning curve for Vista, realistically ?

    I haven't found it as steep as the move from Win 3.x to Wind 95, or from 9x
    to XP, and I will go against the others in the thread and suggest it is
    worth the effort.

    > c. Am I worrying too much, probably, about going to Vista ?

    Yes, I think you are.

    > d. Should I just stick with, assuming I can order a new PC with it, XP,
    > or does Vista truly offer "a lot" of "meaningful"
    > improvements and enhancements ? What would be the major one(s) ?

    Hard question. I am still learning how to drive Vista, but so far it seems
    to work very well. I like the new Windows Mail program which surprised me
    as I use Thunderbird on XP. I like the native DVD burning support in
    Vista, just to mention a couple of things. My (networked) printers (Epson
    and Canon) installed and worked OK, and even my often used DVD Shrink
    installed and ran without a hitch.

    Startup and shutdown are a little slower than XP, but that has not proved to
    be a problem. Actual opening and running programs has been as quick as
    with XP. (Both laptops have 2 gig of RAM.)

    > e. Likely that new software will require Vista, or more likely any new
    > packages will run on both, just as well ?

    Yes, I would imagine that will be the case.

    I would suggest downloading and running the Windows upgrade advisor to see
    whether you current printers and software etc will work with Vista.

    > Much thanks,
    > Bob

    Good luck.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Nov 11, 2007
  15. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks all for such informative answers. Appreciate it very much.

    Several have asked why I want/need a new PC.

    Several things beginning to go on my 3 yr old Dell.
    All fixable, I guess, but problematic if worth it.

    Power supply getting flaky, I think.
    Has lots of troubles starting up, and switching between Users. (takes
    several attempts)
    Only 2 USB 1.0 Ports (I know I can buy a powered USB Hub, but when I tried
    that approach last year it didn't work well)
    Very, very slow in booting up; seems to take longer each month.
    Lots of intermittent problems, that come and go
    Lots of crashes.

    Thought that perhaps it makes more sense to get a new one now, before this
    one totally
    conks out. 3 years for these things seems like a reasonable time ?

    Regards,
    Bob
    ------------------------

    Robert11, Nov 11, 2007
  16. Robert11

    Brett Kline Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks all for such informative answers. Appreciate it very much.
    >
    > Several have asked why I want/need a new PC.
    >
    > Several things beginning to go on my 3 yr old Dell.
    > All fixable, I guess, but problematic if worth it.
    >
    > Power supply getting flaky, I think.
    > Has lots of troubles starting up, and switching between Users. (takes
    > several attempts)
    > Only 2 USB 1.0 Ports (I know I can buy a powered USB Hub, but when I
    > tried that approach last year it didn't work well)
    > Very, very slow in booting up; seems to take longer each month.
    > Lots of intermittent problems, that come and go
    > Lots of crashes.

    Have you considered building your next PC? For roughly the same cost of a
    new Dell you can pick and choose your own hardware. Windows XP Home is $90
    for the OEM version.
    Brett Kline, Nov 11, 2007
  17. Robert11 wrote:

    > Several things beginning to go on my 3 yr old Dell.
    > All fixable, I guess, but problematic if worth it.

    ...and much cheaper to fix.

    > Power supply getting flaky, I think.

    A new one is inexpensive.

    > Has lots of troubles starting up, and switching between Users. (takes
    > several attempts)

    That's software, not hardware. File corruption. Failure to defrag
    periodically.

    > Only 2 USB 1.0 Ports (I know I can buy a powered USB Hub, but when I tried
    > that approach last year it didn't work well)

    Are you sure your present USB ports are 1.0? Three years ago, all were
    USB 2 as I recall.

    > Very, very slow in booting up; seems to take longer each month.
    > Lots of intermittent problems, that come and go
    > Lots of crashes.

    Barring hard drive problem, also software.

    > Thought that perhaps it makes more sense to get a new one now, before
    > this one totally conks out. 3 years for these things seems like a
    > reasonable time ?

    Before spending all the money for a completely new one, why not just
    tune up the one you have? Your speed problem ("take longer each month")
    could be, well, infestations of spyware, viruses, trojans. Or never
    cleaning old temp files. An occasional defrag. Or any of several other
    easily-remedied symptoms.

    Do you have a router on your cable connection? A firewall? Read this:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/19/infected_in20_minutes/
    This especially applies if you do not have a router and/or firewall in
    your setup.

    As I said, this eight-year-old box on my desk is running just fine on
    the original installation of Windows 2000, and it is just as fast now as
    the day it was new. And it is so long since I've seen a BSOD, I don't
    remember what color it was.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 11, 2007
  18. Robert11

    Alfred Guest

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 08:13:20 -0500, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Thanks all for such informative answers. Appreciate it very much.
    >
    >Several have asked why I want/need a new PC.
    >
    >Several things beginning to go on my 3 yr old Dell.
    >All fixable, I guess, but problematic if worth it.
    >
    >Power supply getting flaky, I think.
    >Has lots of troubles starting up, and switching between Users. (takes
    >several attempts)
    >Only 2 USB 1.0 Ports (I know I can buy a powered USB Hub, but when I tried
    >that approach last year it didn't work well)
    >Very, very slow in booting up; seems to take longer each month.
    >Lots of intermittent problems, that come and go
    >Lots of crashes.

    Tried a complete reinstall of the operating system?
    Will take a few hours but will probaly fix most problems.

    >Thought that perhaps it makes more sense to get a new one now, before this
    >one totally
    >conks out. 3 years for these things seems like a reasonable time ?

    I have one over ten years old. At work most of our desktop PCs are 6
    or 7 years old

    Alfred, Nov 11, 2007
  19. Robert11

    dadiOH Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks all for such informative answers. Appreciate it very much.
    >
    > Several have asked why I want/need a new PC.
    >
    > Several things beginning to go on my 3 yr old Dell.
    > All fixable, I guess, but problematic if worth it.
    >
    > Power supply getting flaky, I think.

    They pretty much are either good or bad. Why do you think yours is
    bad?
    ______________

    > Has lots of troubles starting up, and switching between Users.
    > (takes several attempts)
    > Only 2 USB 1.0 Ports (I know I can buy a powered USB Hub, but when
    > I tried that approach last year it didn't work well)

    No reason that it shouldn't. They are nothing more than an extension
    cord with multiple USB outlets, no power necessary.
    _________________

    > Very, very slow in booting up; seems to take longer each month.
    > Lots of intermittent problems, that come and go
    > Lots of crashes.

    How slow is slow?

    A new computer won't prevent that sort of thing, just takes a while to
    get screwed up like your current one with spyware, superfluous start
    up programs and the like.
    _________________

    > Thought that perhaps it makes more sense to get a new one now,
    > before this one totally
    > conks out. 3 years for these things seems like a reasonable time ?

    I built my PC in 2000. Got other non-PC computers 28 years old, they
    work just fine.

    It's your $$ but I'd just clean up the old one (I'm 74 and I'm
    frugal). Starting from scratch by wiping the hard drive and
    re-installing Windows (or using a OEM recovery disc) should fix any
    non-hardware problems and the machine would work like new. If you
    actually *do* have a bad power supply, they aren't expensive.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Nov 11, 2007
  20. Robert11 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks all for such informative answers. Appreciate it very much.
    >
    > Several have asked why I want/need a new PC.
    >
    > Several things beginning to go on my 3 yr old Dell.
    > All fixable, I guess, but problematic if worth it.

    A 3yr old Dell may well have hardware problems. We had one mainboard
    exchange on a 2yr old, and another one with a dead harddrive.
    Unless it is the mainboard in your case, you may run memtest and check the
    harddrive. A live linux cd usually supplies all the tools.

    > Power supply getting flaky, I think.
    > Has lots of troubles starting up, and switching between Users. (takes
    > several attempts)

    Power supplies are around $25,-

    > Only 2 USB 1.0 Ports (I know I can buy a powered USB Hub, but when I tried
    > that approach last year it didn't work well)

    If the box you bought is 3yrs old and no shelf warmer, it ought to have
    usb2.0 already, and - unless it's a laptop - 2 usb ports on the frontside
    and 2-4 on the backpanel.
    You can get a pci card with 4 usb2.0 ports for another $20,-

    > Very, very slow in booting up; seems to take longer each month.
    > Lots of intermittent problems, that come and go
    > Lots of crashes.

    Well, that could be software or malware infestation or a harddrive
    struggling, or bad ram. Again, a linux live cd may help to diagnose.

    > Thought that perhaps it makes more sense to get a new one now, before this
    > one totally
    > conks out. 3 years for these things seems like a reasonable time ?

    Maybe for a shelf-warmer :)
    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 12, 2007