    I'm going to take the OS exam. I'm much more familiar
    with Win2K, but will this exam be on its way out soon and
    should I take the XP exam instead?
    Damp, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Damp

    JaR Guest

    Damp wrote:

    > I'm about to start preparing for the MCSA and for starts
    > I'm going to take the OS exam. I'm much more familiar
    > with Win2K, but will this exam be on its way out soon and
    > should I take the XP exam instead?

    You are thinking about getting a certification that you are proficient
    at something.

    Why would you consider getting a certification in something that you are
    not proficient at doing.

    cart><horse

    JaR
    JaR, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Damp

    Steve Guest

    There really isn't much different between win2k and
    winXP. Most companies have to to winXP so you might be
    better off getting XP.
    Just my opinion......

    Steve, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Damp

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 28, 2004 "JaR" blathered:

    > Why would you consider getting a certification in something that you are
    > not proficient at doing.

    To work toward becoming proficient at it.

    --
    Tech "Studious Geek" Pro
    MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Damp

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 28, 2004 "TechGeekPro" blathered:

    > On Jul 28, 2004 "JaR" blathered:
    >
    >> Why would you consider getting a certification in something that you are
    >> not proficient at doing.

    > To work toward becoming proficient at it.

    To put it better:

    "Passing certifications is not a race, it's truely the road to it that
    counts...".*

    * Quoted from Johan Hiemstra, the Webmaster of TechExams.net.

    --
    Tech "Philosophical Geek" Pro
    MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Jul 28, 2004
  6. Damp

    JaR Guest

    TechGeekPro wrote:

    > On Jul 28, 2004 "JaR" blathered:
    >

    >>Why would you consider getting a certification in something that you are
    >>not proficient at doing.

    > To work toward becoming proficient at it.

    One becomes proficient, then obtains the certification. One does not get
    certified first, then develop the proficiency. That's like saying "I
    know how to drive a car, should I get a auto driver's license? Or should
    I just go ahead and get a pilot's licence because I've never been in an
    airplane?"

    JaR
    JaR, Jul 28, 2004
  7. Damp

    Guest Guest

    Folks,
    I feel comforatble with both, but I've been supporting
    2000 for a couple years now and feel very confident in
    that area. I dont think preparing for XP would be all
    that tough or different. I guess the best way to phrase
    my question would be...Am I wasting my time with 2000
    because its not the most up to date and-WILL IT NOT be
    offered soon as an exam?

    Guest, Jul 29, 2004
  8. Damp

    JaR Guest

    wrote:

    > Folks,
    > I feel comforatble with both, but I've been supporting
    > 2000 for a couple years now and feel very confident in
    > that area. I dont think preparing for XP would be all
    > that tough or different. I guess the best way to phrase
    > my question would be...Am I wasting my time with 2000
    > because its not the most up to date and-WILL IT NOT be
    > offered soon as an exam?

    It really depends on what you want to do or what your employer wants.
    Heck there's a lot of places still running NT. 2K will be around for a
    while. If you are more familiar with 2K then certify in it.

    JaR
    JaR, Jul 29, 2004
  9. Damp

    ~baked Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:08:20 -0700, "Damp"
    <> wrote:

    IF you already know 2000 AND you're only going to certify in
    one desktop OS, then why not go for XP - if for not other reason
    than to learn the differences between the two. I would certainly
    not say that 2000 is going away anytime soon, but XP would
    get you further with most employers if that's what you're after.

    ~baked, Aug 2, 2004