    Thomas Biddy Guest

    Where is the sound file that plays when you start XP? Can I change to
    an mp3?
    Thomas Biddy, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Thomas Biddy

    °Mike° Guest

    Wherever you want it to be, and no, you can't.

    Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices / Sounds tab.

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:32:57 GMT, in
    <>
    Thomas Biddy scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 12, 2004

  3. Thomas Biddy

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:32:57 GMT, Thomas Biddy <> wrote:

    >Where is the sound file that plays when you start XP?

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, "Sounds and Audio Devices", "Sounds" tab.
    The Default sounds are in the C:\Windows\Media\ folder.

    > Can I change to an mp3?

    No. You convert them to wav files first.
    Unk, Nov 12, 2004
  4. Thomas Biddy

    WormWood Guest

    If you change the opening sound file, choose a very short playing file,
    (a few seconds), and no, not an mp3. You will be able to browse for it
    so it can be anywhere.

    WormWood, Nov 12, 2004
  5. Thomas Biddy

    trout Guest

    WormWood wrote:

    > If you change the opening sound file, choose a very short playing
    > file, (a few seconds)

    How come? Does playing the .wav slow the opening of start-ups?
    --
    "Just curious."
    trout, Nov 12, 2004
  6. Thomas Biddy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    | WormWood wrote:
    |
    | > If you change the opening sound file, choose a very short playing
    | > file, (a few seconds)
    |
    | How come? Does playing the .wav slow the opening of start-ups?

    Yup. Simple math: large wave files are resource intensive...much data to
    load from the drive, reduced available memory, etc.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 12, 2004
  7. Thomas Biddy

    trout Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> WormWood wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you change the opening sound file, choose a very short playing
    >>> file, (a few seconds)

    >> How come? Does playing the .wav slow the opening of start-ups?

    > Yup. Simple math: large wave files are resource intensive...much data
    > to load from the drive, reduced available memory, etc.

    Hmm. I guess that explains a thing or two.
    --
    "I guess I should change mine from the full 'RKO' theme."
    trout, Nov 12, 2004
  8. Thomas Biddy

    WormWood Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    | WormWood wrote:
    |
    | > If you change the opening sound file, choose a very short playing
    | > file, (a few seconds)
    |
    | How come? Does playing the .wav slow the opening of start-ups?
    | --
    | "Just curious."

    A large sound file would also cause you to spend a *lot of time waiting
    for it to finish so Windows could start.
    WormWood, Nov 12, 2004
  9. Thomas Biddy

    WormWood Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > "trout" <> wrote in message

    | >> How come? Does playing the .wav slow the opening of start-ups?
    | >
    | > Yup. Simple math: large wave files are resource intensive...much
    data
    | > to load from the drive, reduced available memory, etc.
    |
    | Hmm. I guess that explains a thing or two.
    | --
    | "I guess I should change mine from the full 'RKO' theme."

    The MGM Lion's roar would be perfect.
    WormWood, Nov 12, 2004
  10. Thomas Biddy

    trout Guest

    WormWood wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> WormWood wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you change the opening sound file, choose a very short playing
    >>> file, (a few seconds)

    >> How come? Does playing the .wav slow the opening of start-ups?
    >> --
    >> "Just curious."
    >>

    > A large sound file would also cause you to spend a *lot of time
    > waiting for it to finish so Windows could start.

    Makes perfect sense. Just goes to show that you never know when the
    brain is going to slip a gear.
    --
    "Gee, this takes a long time....might as well have something to
    listen-to....."
    trout, Nov 12, 2004
  11. Thomas Biddy

    WormWood Guest

    "trout" | WormWood wrote:

    | >> How come? Does playing the .wav slow the opening of start-ups?
    | >> --
    | >> "Just curious."
    | >>
    | > A large sound file would also cause you to spend a *lot of time
    | > waiting for it to finish so Windows could start.
    |
    | Makes perfect sense. Just goes to show that you never know when the
    | brain is going to slip a gear.
    | --
    | "Gee, this takes a long time....might as well have something to
    | listen-to....."

    heh....
    WormWood, Nov 12, 2004
  12. Thomas Biddy

    Guest

    Thank you. This is just what I needed.

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:08:10 -0500,
    Unk <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:32:57 GMT, Thomas Biddy <> wrote:
    >
    >>Where is the sound file that plays when you start XP?

    >Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, "Sounds and Audio Devices", "Sounds" tab.
    >The Default sounds are in the C:\Windows\Media\ folder.
    >
    >> Can I change to an mp3?

    >No. You convert them to wav files first.

    --
    Have a GREAT day,
    Thomas

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
    , Nov 12, 2004
  13. Thomas Biddy

    Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:15:10 -0500,
    "WormWood" <> wrote:

    >A large sound file would also cause you to spend a *lot of time waiting
    >for it to finish so Windows could start.

    Can you turn the opening sound off?

    --
    Have a GREAT day,
    Thomas

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
    , Nov 12, 2004
  14. Thomas Biddy

    WormWood Guest

    <> wrote in message
    | On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:15:10 -0500,
    | "WormWood" <> wrote:
    |
    | >A large sound file would also cause you to spend a *lot of time
    waiting
    | >for it to finish so Windows could start.
    |
    | Can you turn the opening sound off?

    Yes. Start / settings / control panel / sounds and audio devices.
    WormWood, Nov 12, 2004
  15. Thomas Biddy

    WormWood Guest

    "WormWood" <> wrote in message

    | <> wrote in message
    || On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:15:10 -0500,
    || "WormWood" <> wrote:
    || >A large sound file would also cause you to spend a *lot of time
    | waiting
    || >for it to finish so Windows could start.
    || Can you turn the opening sound off?

    Sorry, I forgot this part:**

    Yes. Start / settings / control panel / sounds and audio devices
    /**sound tab / highlight start windows, select ''no sound" from the
    drop-down menu, name and save the new scheme or you lose it.****
    WormWood, Nov 12, 2004
  16. Thomas Biddy

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome.

    Unk, Nov 12, 2004
  17. Thomas Biddy

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Lady Chatterly, <> wrote:

    > Have you considered that your society might be better off if half of
    > you were dead?

    Dying would suck.

    --
    Solve the food crisis and the homeless pet problem.
    Eat a dog today!
    Aquila Deus, Nov 12, 2004
  18. In article <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:15:10 -0500,
    >"WormWood" <> wrote:
    >
    >>A large sound file would also cause you to spend a *lot of time waiting
    >>for it to finish so Windows could start.

    >Can you turn the opening sound off?

    Have you considered that your society might be better off if half
    of
    you
    were
    dead?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Still talking to the bot too. What a maroon!" -- Aratzio
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 12, 2004
  19. Thomas Biddy

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Lady Chatterly, <> wrote:

    > You are kidding, right?

    Am I really kidding, right? How can you tell?

    Aquila Deus, Nov 12, 2004
  20. In article <> Aquila Deus <> wrote:

    >Lady Chatterly, <> wrote:
    >
    >> Have you considered that your society might be better off if half of
    >> you were dead?

    >Dying would suck.

    You are kidding, right?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "the bot master surfaces at least ten posts per day. pete, you should
    stick your eye balls into a pencil sharpener." -- yyyiiinnnggg
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 12, 2004