    I'd appreciate any suggestions.

    In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
    3.00Ghz P4 HT

    Bosco836, May 31, 2007

  2. Bosco836

    ian field Guest

    "Bosco836" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
    > added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
    > properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
    > (the motherboard supports 4).
    >
    > No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
    > However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.
    >
    > I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
    > problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
    > conclusive.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    >
    > In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
    > 3.00Ghz P4 HT

    Most boards I've seen have (at most) 2x SD slots & 2x DDR slots, and every
    one I've seen its stated in the user manual - you can't use both types of
    RAM simultaneously.

    ian field, May 31, 2007

  3. Bosco836

    Bosco836 Guest

    On May 31, 5:36 pm, "ian field" <> wrote:
    > "Bosco836" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
    > > added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
    > > properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
    > > (the motherboard supports 4).

    > > No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
    > > However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.

    > > I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
    > > problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
    > > conclusive.

    > > I'd appreciate any suggestions.

    > > In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
    > > 3.00Ghz P4 HT

    > Most boards I've seen have (at most) 2x SD slots & 2x DDR slots, and every
    > one I've seen its stated in the user manual - you can't use both types of
    > RAM simultaneously.

    I dont think there are 2 SD slots, as SD slots have little grooves cut
    out for the ram to fit into, where as DDR(2) only has 1. ALso, DDR2
    ram won't fit in an SD slot.

    Bosco836, May 31, 2007
  4. Bosco836

    Guest

    On May 31, 5:29 pm, Bosco836 <> wrote:
    > Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
    > added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
    > properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
    > (the motherboard supports 4).
    >
    > No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
    > However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.
    >
    > I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
    > problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
    > conclusive.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    >
    > In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
    > 3.00Ghz P4 HT

    When you had the 2 GB did it report that correctly, or is this another
    case of windows using base 2 math instead of base 10? Meaning windows
    calls 1024 MB 1 GB and manufacturers call 1000 MB 1 GB?

    , May 31, 2007
  5. Bosco836

    Bosco836 Guest

    On May 31, 6:03 pm, wrote:
    > On May 31, 5:29 pm, Bosco836 <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
    > > added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
    > > properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
    > > (the motherboard supports 4).

    > > No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
    > > However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.

    > > I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
    > > problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
    > > conclusive.

    > > I'd appreciate any suggestions.

    > > In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
    > > 3.00Ghz P4 HT

    > When you had the 2 GB did it report that correctly, or is this another
    > case of windows using base 2 math instead of base 10? Meaning windows
    > calls 1024 MB 1 GB and manufacturers call 1000 MB 1 GB?

    It reported the 2GB correctly before I added the ram it. I should
    also state that the 2 new 512 sticks of ram ram - was replaced by
    Kingston. They were previously installed by themselves and showed up
    as 1GB. However, as the RMA took several days to process, I added the
    2GB (2*1GB sticks) in. These showed up as 2GB even. However, when
    the new ram arrived from Kingston this afternoon, after adding it in,
    I now only see 2.87.

    Bosco836, May 31, 2007
  6. Bosco836

    PeeCee Guest

    "Bosco836" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
    > added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
    > properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
    > (the motherboard supports 4).
    >
    > No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
    > However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.
    >
    > I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
    > problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
    > conclusive.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    >
    > In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
    > 3.00Ghz P4 HT

    As I understand it it is a limitation of XP Pro.

    Essentially, of the 4GB maximum XP can normally address, 2GB is reserved for
    Applications and 2GB is reserved for the system (MS calls it 'Windows
    Executive')
    By using the /3GB switch in boot.ini you can increase the application space
    to 3GB and reduce the system space to 1GB (this may be why you can see
    2.87GB which is sorta close to 3GB)

    This page
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx may
    help to explain though in typical MS style it's somewhat difficult to
    follow.

    In practical terms it means the hardware has outrun the software again.
    In a way it's like in the 286/386 days when you could equip a PC with (say)
    16MB of RAM but DOS only used 0.64MB of the available RAM.

    Further reading:
    http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8N-SLI SE
    http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/4GB_Rev1.pdf
    http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/ta71902.pdf

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 1, 2007
  7. Bosco836

    Guest

    Bosco836 <> wrote:

    >Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
    >added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
    >properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
    >(the motherboard supports 4).
    >
    > No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
    >However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.
    >
    >I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
    >problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
    >conclusive.
    >
    >I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    >
    >In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
    >3.00Ghz P4 HT

    I've got the same mother board you need to use DDR ram.
    http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/av_mem.htm

    --

    HTML HEAD Sterling Silver Earrings
    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6045947

    , Jun 1, 2007
  8. Bosco836

    Bosco836 Guest

    There are several different models in the 915 series of boards, some
    of which, support DDR2, including the PBL, which I have. (ref:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=D915PBL).
    Furthermore, DDR and DDR2 ram are backwards compatible (to my
    understanding).

    Bosco836, Jun 1, 2007
  9. "Bosco836" <> wrote in message
    > There are several different models in the 915 series of boards, some
    > of which, support DDR2, including the PBL, which I have. (ref:
    > http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=D915PBL).
    > Furthermore, DDR and DDR2 ram are backwards compatible (to my
    > understanding).

    nope.....

    Christopher Syn, Jun 1, 2007
  10. Bosco836

    Larry Guest

    DDR2 is.

    Larry
    Behold Beware Believe

    "Christopher Syn" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Bosco836" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > There are several different models in the 915 series of boards, some
    : > of which, support DDR2, including the PBL, which I have. (ref:
    : > http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=D915PBL).
    : > Furthermore, DDR and DDR2 ram are backwards compatible (to my
    : > understanding).
    :
    : nope.....
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : >
    : > On May 31, 10:28 pm, wrote:
    : >> Bosco836 <> wrote:
    : >> >Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
    : >> >added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
    : >> >properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
    : >> >(the motherboard supports 4).
    : >>
    : >> > No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
    : >> >However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.
    : >>
    : >> >I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
    : >> >problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
    : >> >conclusive.
    : >>
    : >> >I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    : >>
    : >> >In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
    : >> >3.00Ghz P4 HT
    : >>
    : >> I've got the same mother board you need to use DDR
    : >> ram.http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/av_mem.htm
    : >>
    : >> --
    : >>