    Peter

    Teaching others about Windows Applications in Seconds.
    http://www.kiwioffice.com/

    Peter, Aug 8, 2004

  2. On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:43:35 +1200, "Peter" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have XP on my computer and want to install XP on top of XP as I have tons
    >of problems and hope this will help.. Can this be done with erasing my
    >present files.?

    You can do a Repair, XP does not work the same as 98etc..

    So do a Install, it will search for a existing install of XP then you will
    see a option " R" listed at the bottom, so press "R" for the repair, you
    will need to install all the Updates and DX9 again as these get removed.

    Does not fix most problems that I have found out many times, so far I have
    had to do 3 clean installs, this pisses me off as the bugs come back again..

    I can get around it by using Powerdesk...
    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 8, 2004

  3. Peter

    Tim Guest

    Peter,

    There are 3 levels of install you can do:

    1. Repair install
    2. Reinstall
    3. fdisk and reinstall.

    For each of these install types , go to www.michaelstevenstech.com and you
    will see much information about how to do them.

    The Repair install is an "Over the Top" install that will preserve all data
    and applications. Note that you need to reapply all service packs and
    patches afterwards and may have to re-activate XP. Repair installs are safe
    so long as you do not have worms or viruses.

    IF you desire to do a Repair, then I would suggest that if you have "tons of
    problems" you should address these first. If you are not prepared to or feel
    it would be futile then options 2 or 3 above should be followed. Do a
    thorough virus scan followed by scumware scan using tools such as ad-aware
    and resolve all issues these tools raise prior to contemplating a Repair.
    Use at least 1 different virus scanner and check out recommendations on
    scumware scanners.

    If you do not resolve virus and other issues first, then you risk the repair
    being interferred with with possibility of system / data loss and the
    problems remaining afterwards.

    For this reason you may be better off doing either a reinstall or a complete
    disk wipe (fdisk) and reinstall of everything from scratch.

    Windows XP SP2 is on its way now - it will be available for download in the
    next few days and is already available to some (EG system builders,
    resellers, software testers etc.) It is an excellent time to do an fdisk and
    reinstall - if you can wait to get your hands on a CD with SP2. The reason
    why I mention this is that if you do a repair or reinstall then you have to
    reapply all patches. There are a lot to reapply and if you connect to the
    internet while applying them (EG to download them) then you are running the
    risk of getting infected! If you have an XP SP2 CD you do not (in fact
    really *must* not) connect to the internet until you have installed SP2.

    I would expect that every PC reseller worth their salt will have a copy of
    SP2 on CD some time this morning. You should be able to get a copy for
    minimal cost (IE the cost of the media + labour) or borrow one. You will be
    able to order a CD with SP2 from Microsoft some time in the next few days as
    it is not generally released yet.

    Getting and using SP2 should be standing advaice to all people contemplating
    a reinstall from now on.

    HTH
    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Peter

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:43:35 +1200, "Peter" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have XP on my computer and want to install XP on top of XP as I have tons
    >of problems and hope this will help.. Can this be done with erasing my
    >present files.?

    You should be able to repair it. Just select that when booting from your XP CD.
    You'll probably lose some settings and drivers. Put your data files in a folder
    away from Windows and My Documents and they'll be safer.

    Whatever you do don't touch the partition information or format the drive (in
    the Windows install when booting off the CD).
    Craig Shore, Aug 8, 2004