XP NTBackup versus WinZip and copy

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nick Michell, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Nick Michell

    Nick Michell Guest

    Hi,

    Any thoughts on the relative merits of XP NTBackup as against a DOS
    Batch file invoking WinZip, with a fixed list of files?

    I've been using the latter method for many moons (yes - I have had
    cause to recover data, and this has been successful).

    I've been aware of NTBackup for a while, although it's been of only
    academic interest - I use Win 98 SE for all my main development work
    and have XP on my test machine for compatibility testing only.

    I've just been engaged by a client who, until now, has been using
    NTBackup on a regular basis - they've lost their NTBackup definitions
    and called me in to look at the problem.

    Frankly, I'm horrified - talk about sledge-hammer and nut! Also, from
    my (admittedly brief) investigation, it appears that:-

    1. NTBackup does not compress.

    2. It cannot write directly to CDR (okay - media reliability is
    another issue).

    3. The backup contents are not verifiable (as far as I can ascertain)
    - with WinZip, double-click and hey-presto there they are!

    4. Even worse - ntbackup.bkf files are in proprietary format - Win98
    can't do a thing with them. This is not a frivolous point - in a
    disaster situation, my client may need to run their (Win 98
    compatible) software on a leased PC.

    I'm open to conversion here, but I need some strong arguments - hit
    me!

    PS
    As for ASR - you can backup but not restore - that's handy.

    --
    Nick Michell
    Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
    Nick Michell, Nov 1, 2003