    worse. Most programs, XP Home on a newish Mesh Dual Core, 2GB Ram.

    What are the most likely culprits please?

    Lisa

    Lisa, Jan 25, 2006

  2. Lisa

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:34:48 GMT, "Lisa" <> wrote:

    >I keep getting programs freezing and not responding. Seems to be getting
    >worse. Most programs, XP Home on a newish Mesh Dual Core, 2GB Ram.
    >
    >What are the most likely culprits please?
    >
    >Lisa

    Are you using safe hex?
    AV, spybot search and destroy, spywareblaster, ad-aware, !
    Any or all of the above?
    and for the same reason."

    joevan, Jan 25, 2006

  3. Lisa

    Guest

    that's what you get for running windows. :)

    go linux

    , Jan 25, 2006
  4. Lisa wrote:

    > I keep getting programs freezing and not responding. Seems to be getting
    > worse. Most programs, XP Home on a newish Mesh Dual Core, 2GB Ram.
    >
    > What are the most likely culprits please?
    >
    > Lisa

    I recommend that you go to the following URL and download the Ewido Security
    Suite:
    http://www.ewido.net

    It's a 14 day trial - but it is the full version of the software and does a
    fantastic job of cleaning up any malware.

    Install Ewido, check for updates, then run a Full System Scan. Once you've
    done that, I recommend downloading CCleaner from:
    http://www.cleaner.com

    Install CCleaner, then run the cleaner. After that, have CCleaner "Scan for
    Issues" - the Fix All Issues. It will prompt you to backup your registry
    during this procedure. This is a good idea.

    You can keep Ewido for the two weeks, then uninstall it - but if Ewido
    detects and removes a significant amount of malware, I would suggest
    that you consider purchasing it - it is well worth the $30.

    If you do these things and your computer is still freezing, let us know.
    There is still more that can be done.

    HTH

    Malware Magnet, Jan 25, 2006
  5. Lisa

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 05:56:02 -0800, Malware Moron babbled:

    > Lisa wrote:
    >
    >> I keep getting programs freezing and not responding. Seems to be getting
    >> worse. Most programs, XP Home on a newish Mesh Dual Core, 2GB Ram.
    >>
    >> What are the most likely culprits please?
    >>
    >> Lisa

    > I recommend that you go to the following URL and download the Ewido Security
    > Suite:
    > http://www.ewido.net
    >
    > It's a 14 day trial - but it is the full version of the software and does a
    > fantastic job of cleaning up any malware.
    >
    > Install Ewido, check for updates, then run a Full System Scan. Once you've
    > done that, I recommend downloading CCleaner from:
    > http://www.cleaner.com
    >
    > Install CCleaner, then run the cleaner. After that, have CCleaner "Scan for
    > Issues" - the Fix All Issues. It will prompt you to backup your registry
    > during this procedure. This is a good idea.
    >
    > You can keep Ewido for the two weeks, then uninstall it - but if Ewido
    > detects and removes a significant amount of malware, I would suggest
    > that you consider purchasing it - it is well worth the $30.
    >
    > If you do these things and your computer is still freezing, let us know.
    > There is still more that can be done.

    Like suspect/test the fucking RAM / PSU like she should do before any
    other idiotic advice she's gotten prior to my reply.

    Meat Plow, Jan 25, 2006
  6. Lisa

    Aratzio Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:19:54 -0500, Meat Plow <>
    transparently proposed:

    >On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 05:56:02 -0800, Malware Moron babbled:
    >
    >> Lisa wrote:
    >>
    >>> I keep getting programs freezing and not responding. Seems to be getting
    >>> worse. Most programs, XP Home on a newish Mesh Dual Core, 2GB Ram.
    >>>
    >>> What are the most likely culprits please?
    >>>
    >>> Lisa

    >> I recommend that you go to the following URL and download the Ewido Security
    >> Suite:
    >> http://www.ewido.net
    >>
    >> It's a 14 day trial - but it is the full version of the software and does a
    >> fantastic job of cleaning up any malware.
    >>
    >> Install Ewido, check for updates, then run a Full System Scan. Once you've
    >> done that, I recommend downloading CCleaner from:
    >> http://www.cleaner.com
    >>
    >> Install CCleaner, then run the cleaner. After that, have CCleaner "Scan for
    >> Issues" - the Fix All Issues. It will prompt you to backup your registry
    >> during this procedure. This is a good idea.
    >>
    >> You can keep Ewido for the two weeks, then uninstall it - but if Ewido
    >> detects and removes a significant amount of malware, I would suggest
    >> that you consider purchasing it - it is well worth the $30.
    >>
    >> If you do these things and your computer is still freezing, let us know.
    >> There is still more that can be done.
    >>

    >Like suspect/test the fucking RAM / PSU like she should do before any
    >other idiotic advice she's gotten prior to my reply.

    "My computer locks-up."
    "Run a full scan by TWO full suites of software"

    Brilliant.

    Maybe a defrag that can lock-up mid point would be a fun thing to try
    too?

    --

    AHM Wanker Stomping Award - 2005

    Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - May, 2005

    Hammer of Thor - July, 2005

    David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) on 10-22-2005

    "But it is not isolated AUK has a massive impact the rest of usenet."

    Aratzio, Jan 25, 2006
  7. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    "Malware Magnet" <> wrote in message
    > Lisa wrote:
    >
    >> I keep getting programs freezing and not responding. Seems to be getting
    >> worse. Most programs, XP Home on a newish Mesh Dual Core, 2GB Ram.
    >>
    >> What are the most likely culprits please?
    >>
    >> Lisa

    > I recommend that you go to the following URL and download the Ewido
    > Security
    > Suite:
    > http://www.ewido.net
    >
    > It's a 14 day trial - but it is the full version of the software and does
    > fantastic job of cleaning up any malware.
    >
    > Install Ewido, check for updates, then run a Full System Scan. Once you've
    > done that, I recommend downloading CCleaner from:
    > http://www.cleaner.com
    >
    > Install CCleaner, then run the cleaner. After that, have CCleaner "Scan
    > for
    > Issues" - the Fix All Issues. It will prompt you to backup your registry
    > during this procedure. This is a good idea.
    >
    > You can keep Ewido for the two weeks, then uninstall it - but if Ewido
    > detects and removes a significant amount of malware, I would suggest
    > that you consider purchasing it - it is well worth the $30.
    >
    > If you do these things and your computer is still freezing, let us know.
    > There is still more that can be done.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --

    Thanks. Trying that now
    Lisa

    Lisa, Jan 25, 2006
  8. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 05:56:02 -0800, Malware Moron babbled:
    >
    >> Lisa wrote:
    >>
    >>> I keep getting programs freezing and not responding. Seems to be getting
    >>> worse. Most programs, XP Home on a newish Mesh Dual Core, 2GB Ram.
    >>>
    >>> What are the most likely culprits please?
    >>>
    >>> Lisa

    >> I recommend that you go to the following URL and download the Ewido
    >> Security
    >> Suite:
    >> http://www.ewido.net
    >>
    >> It's a 14 day trial - but it is the full version of the software and does
    >> fantastic job of cleaning up any malware.
    >>
    >> Install Ewido, check for updates, then run a Full System Scan. Once
    >> you've
    >> done that, I recommend downloading CCleaner from:
    >> http://www.cleaner.com
    >>
    >> Install CCleaner, then run the cleaner. After that, have CCleaner "Scan
    >> for
    >> Issues" - the Fix All Issues. It will prompt you to backup your registry
    >> during this procedure. This is a good idea.
    >>
    >> You can keep Ewido for the two weeks, then uninstall it - but if Ewido
    >> detects and removes a significant amount of malware, I would suggest
    >> that you consider purchasing it - it is well worth the $30.
    >>
    >> If you do these things and your computer is still freezing, let us know.
    >> There is still more that can be done.
    >>

    > Like suspect/test the fucking RAM / PSU like she should do before any
    > other idiotic advice she's gotten prior to my reply.

    Go away, you silly little man. You're pathetic.

    Lisa, Jan 25, 2006
  9. Lisa

    Gordon Guest

    Lisa wrote:
    > I keep getting programs freezing and not responding. Seems to be getting
    > worse. Most programs, XP Home on a newish Mesh Dual Core, 2GB Ram.
    >
    > What are the most likely culprits please?
    >
    > Lisa

    XP?

    Gordon, Jan 25, 2006
  10. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Lisa wrote:
    >> I keep getting programs freezing and not responding. Seems to be getting
    >> worse. Most programs, XP Home on a newish Mesh Dual Core, 2GB Ram.
    >>
    >> What are the most likely culprits please?
    >>
    >> Lisa

    > XP?

    Oh tee hee. (Twerp)

    Lisa, Jan 25, 2006
  11. Lisa

    Aratzio Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:33:38 GMT, "Lisa" <>
    transparently proposed:

    >"Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> I recommend that you go to the following URL and download the Ewido
    >>> Security
    >>> Suite:
    >>> http://www.ewido.net
    >>>
    >>> It's a 14 day trial - but it is the full version of the software and does
    >>> fantastic job of cleaning up any malware.
    >>>
    >>> Install Ewido, check for updates, then run a Full System Scan. Once
    >>> you've
    >>> done that, I recommend downloading CCleaner from:
    >>> http://www.cleaner.com
    >>>
    >>> Install CCleaner, then run the cleaner. After that, have CCleaner "Scan
    >>> for
    >>> Issues" - the Fix All Issues. It will prompt you to backup your registry
    >>> during this procedure. This is a good idea.
    >>>
    >>> You can keep Ewido for the two weeks, then uninstall it - but if Ewido
    >>> detects and removes a significant amount of malware, I would suggest
    >>> that you consider purchasing it - it is well worth the $30.
    >>>
    >>> If you do these things and your computer is still freezing, let us know.
    >>> There is still more that can be done.
    >>>

    >> Like suspect/test the fucking RAM / PSU like she should do before any
    >> other idiotic advice she's gotten prior to my reply.
    >>

    >Go away, you silly little man. You're pathetic.

    How stupid will you feel when you find out he is correct?

    Aratzio, Jan 25, 2006
  12. Lisa

    ric37r Guest

    Well that was helpful! Not! i mean comeon were generally dealing with people
    who have windows pre-installed and know no other operating system. Although
    Linux is getting more user friendly all the time, to expect the average joe
    to pickup linux (any distribution) and not be more confused than what the
    original problem was is asking for a leap into astrophysics!

    There are a multitude of things which could be causing someone's system to
    slow down and lock up, from simple spyware to too many processes running etc
    all these can be sorted with more information.

    Having read other comments in this usernet i wonder if this section is a
    helpdesk or a hinderance desk!

    Regards

    Richard

    ric37r, Jan 25, 2006
  13. "Lisa" <> wrote in message

    > "Malware Magnet" <> wrote in message
    >> Lisa wrote:
    >>
    >>> I keep getting programs freezing and not responding. Seems to be getting
    >>> worse. Most programs, XP Home on a newish Mesh Dual Core, 2GB Ram.
    >>>
    >>> What are the most likely culprits please?
    >>>
    >>> Lisa

    >> I recommend that you go to the following URL and download the Ewido
    >> Security
    >> Suite:
    >> http://www.ewido.net
    >>
    >> It's a 14 day trial - but it is the full version of the software and does
    >> fantastic job of cleaning up any malware.
    >>
    >> Install Ewido, check for updates, then run a Full System Scan. Once
    >> you've
    >> done that, I recommend downloading CCleaner from:
    >> http://www.cleaner.com
    >>
    >> Install CCleaner, then run the cleaner. After that, have CCleaner "Scan
    >> for
    >> Issues" - the Fix All Issues. It will prompt you to backup your registry
    >> during this procedure. This is a good idea.
    >>
    >> You can keep Ewido for the two weeks, then uninstall it - but if Ewido
    >> detects and removes a significant amount of malware, I would suggest
    >> that you consider purchasing it - it is well worth the $30.
    >>
    >> If you do these things and your computer is still freezing, let us know.
    >> There is still more that can be done.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > Thanks. Trying that now
    > Lisa
    >Have tried that and still bad. Seems to be mostly anything that depends on
    >Explorer - MSN, MSIE etc? Have also used the MS memory diagnostic thing and
    >all is fine. I have 2GB of Ram.

    What's next??

    Lisa

    Dave Michaels, Jan 25, 2006
  14. "Lisa" <> wrote in message

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> I recommend that you go to the following URL and download the Ewido
    >>> Security
    >>> Suite:
    >>> http://www.ewido.net
    >>>
    >>> It's a 14 day trial - but it is the full version of the software and
    >>> does a
    >>> fantastic job of cleaning up any malware.
    >>>
    >>> Install Ewido, check for updates, then run a Full System Scan. Once
    >>> you've
    >>> done that, I recommend downloading CCleaner from:
    >>> http://www.cleaner.com
    >>>
    >>> Install CCleaner, then run the cleaner. After that, have CCleaner "Scan
    >>> for
    >>> Issues" - the Fix All Issues. It will prompt you to backup your registry
    >>> during this procedure. This is a good idea.
    >>>
    >>> You can keep Ewido for the two weeks, then uninstall it - but if Ewido
    >>> detects and removes a significant amount of malware, I would suggest
    >>> that you consider purchasing it - it is well worth the $30.
    >>>
    >>> If you do these things and your computer is still freezing, let us know.
    >>> There is still more that can be done.
    >>>

    >> Like suspect/test the fucking RAM / PSU like she should do before any
    >> other idiotic advice she's gotten prior to my reply.
    >>

    > Go away, you silly little man. You're pathetic.

    Hi, There are pathetic kooks, aka kookologists. Their goal is not helping
    with problems but make it worse. To answer your question, there are many
    reasons why a computer would freeze up. Right click on the task bar ( the
    bottom bar on your main monitor), click on task manager. Then click on
    performance tab.

    You should see if the CPU is near 100% or the PR Uages (memory) curve is
    flat at 2 GB. This would give you indication why the machine freezes. Let me
    know if you need more info.

    Real Friendly Neighborhood Vote Ranger, Jan 26, 2006
  15. "Real Friendly Neighborhood Vote Ranger" <> wrote in
    message news:dr9avg$5n6$...

    > "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 05:56:02 -0800, Malware Moron babbled:

    >>> Like suspect/test the fucking RAM / PSU like she should do before any
    >>> other idiotic advice she's gotten prior to my reply.
    >>>

    >> Go away, you silly little man. You're pathetic.

    > Hi, There are pathetic kooks, aka kookologists. Their goal is not helping
    > with problems but make it worse. To answer your question, there are many
    > reasons why a computer would freeze up. Right click on the task bar ( the
    > bottom bar on your main monitor), click on task manager. Then click on
    > performance tab.
    >
    > You should see if the CPU is near 100% or the PR Uages (memory) curve is
    > flat at 2 GB. This would give you indication why the machine freezes. Let
    > me know if you need more info.

    No processor activity and 420MB on the PF Usage graph.

    On MSN Messenger, there's a popup window saying so-and-so wants to join etc.
    Usual stuff. But if you click on it Messenger hangs. I don't think it's a
    trojan/virus or whatever. Seems more like something needs deleting so it
    will recreate its preferences or settings file?

    Is that likely?

    Thanks Lisa

    Dave Michaels, Jan 26, 2006
  16. Lisa

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 07:36:07 +0000, Dave Michaels wrote:

    > "Real Friendly Neighborhood Vote Ranger" <> wrote in
    > message news:dr9avg$5n6$...
    >>
    >> "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Go away, you silly little man. You're pathetic.

    >> Hi, There are pathetic kooks, aka kookologists. Their goal is not helping
    >> with problems but make it worse. To answer your question, there are many
    >> reasons why a computer would freeze up. Right click on the task bar ( the
    >> bottom bar on your main monitor), click on task manager. Then click on
    >> performance tab.
    >>
    >> You should see if the CPU is near 100% or the PR Uages (memory) curve is
    >> flat at 2 GB. This would give you indication why the machine freezes. Let
    >> me know if you need more info.
    >>

    > No processor activity and 420MB on the PF Usage graph.
    >
    > On MSN Messenger, there's a popup window saying so-and-so wants to join etc.
    > Usual stuff. But if you click on it Messenger hangs. I don't think it's a
    > trojan/virus or whatever. Seems more like something needs deleting so it
    > will recreate its preferences or settings file?
    >
    > Is that likely?

    Yes that's about as likely as getting shit on by flying pigs you stupid
    twatter.

    Meat Plow, Jan 26, 2006
  17. Lisa

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:08:38 -0800, Real Friendly Neighborhood Vote Ranger
    wrote:

    > "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 05:56:02 -0800, Malware Moron babbled:

    >>> Like suspect/test the fucking RAM / PSU like she should do before any
    >>> other idiotic advice she's gotten prior to my reply.
    >>>

    >> Go away, you silly little man. You're pathetic.

    > Hi, There are pathetic kooks, aka kookologists. Their goal is not helping
    > with problems but make it worse. To answer your question, there are many
    > reasons why a computer would freeze up. Right click on the task bar ( the
    > bottom bar on your main monitor), click on task manager. Then click on
    > performance tab.
    >
    > You should see if the CPU is near 100% or the PR Uages (memory) curve is
    > flat at 2 GB. This would give you indication why the machine freezes. Let me
    > know if you need more info.

    Do what? BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

    Meat Plow, Jan 26, 2006
  18. "Dave Michaels" <> wrote in message

    > "Real Friendly Neighborhood Vote Ranger" <> wrote in
    > message news:dr9avg$5n6$...
    >>
    >> "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Go away, you silly little man. You're pathetic.

    >> Hi, There are pathetic kooks, aka kookologists. Their goal is not helping
    >> with problems but make it worse. To answer your question, there are many
    >> reasons why a computer would freeze up. Right click on the task bar ( the
    >> bottom bar on your main monitor), click on task manager. Then click on
    >> performance tab.
    >>
    >> You should see if the CPU is near 100% or the PR Uages (memory) curve is
    >> flat at 2 GB. This would give you indication why the machine freezes. Let
    >> me know if you need more info.
    >>

    > No processor activity and 420MB on the PF Usage graph.
    >
    > On MSN Messenger, there's a popup window saying so-and-so wants to join
    > etc. Usual stuff. But if you click on it Messenger hangs. I don't think
    > it's a trojan/virus or whatever. Seems more like something needs deleting
    > so it will recreate its preferences or settings file?

    All popups are suspicious. One of the known popups with caption of
    "unhandled exceptions" or something to that effect was indeed a virus I've
    seen around here in AUK. Pay attention to their dialog box or program icon
    etc. Some look very similar to Windows dialogs. But they are often
    recognizably odd. Never click on any button in suspicious dialogs, instead
    use Task Manager to kill it.

    > Is that likely?

    Preventitive measures:

    1. Use at least XP professional SP2 with NTFS patched up with Windows
    Update.

    2. Monitor processes:
    Click on Applications tab of task manager. If an application shows
    non-responding, kill it might do the trick. If all apps are ones you opened,
    and all are in Running status, click on Processes tab ( I actually don't
    have XP home edition so I am not sure all these tabs exist on it). There are
    a list of processes that are running. Try write down the names of these
    processes or save them in a text file. When you get this list while you are
    not connected to internet and when you are certain the machine is clean, you
    can think that's being a baseline, ie. the number of applications that are
    normally running in front and background. When you find a process that you
    don't see in the baseline, google it by the name of the process.

    3. Get one of the six anti-virus (spyware) software the Windows Security
    Center (click on red shield in lower right systray) recommands.

    4. Turn on firewall

    5. No file sharing.

    6. Join Domain.

    > Thanks Lisa

    10. So far you only see the tip of the icebug. You are still not safe
    whenever connected to internet unless you activily look for intruders, as if
    you want them to come. Then you'd learn and become like them. No matter what
    you do, don't keep any personal/sensitive information on the machines that
    connect to internet. And no on-line banking please.

    Real Friendly Neighborhood Vote Ranger, Jan 27, 2006
  19. "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 07:36:07 +0000, Dave Michaels wrote:
    >

    >> "Real Friendly Neighborhood Vote Ranger" <> wrote
    >> in
    >> message news:dr9avg$5n6$...
    >>>
    >>> "Lisa" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi, There are pathetic kooks, aka kookologists. Their goal is not
    >>> helping
    >>> with problems but make it worse. To answer your question, there are many
    >>> reasons why a computer would freeze up. Right click on the task bar (
    >>> the
    >>> bottom bar on your main monitor), click on task manager. Then click on
    >>> performance tab.
    >>>
    >>> You should see if the CPU is near 100% or the PR Uages (memory) curve is
    >>> flat at 2 GB. This would give you indication why the machine freezes.
    >>> Let
    >>> me know if you need more info.
    >>>

    >> No processor activity and 420MB on the PF Usage graph.
    >>
    >> On MSN Messenger, there's a popup window saying so-and-so wants to join
    >> etc.
    >> Usual stuff. But if you click on it Messenger hangs. I don't think it's a
    >> trojan/virus or whatever. Seems more like something needs deleting so it
    >> will recreate its preferences or settings file?
    >>
    >> Is that likely?

    > Yes that's about as likely as getting shit on by flying pigs you stupid
    > twatter.

    Kadaitcba Man impersonates Meat Plow?

    Real Friendly Neighborhood Vote Ranger, Jan 27, 2006
  20. "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:08:38 -0800, Real Friendly Neighborhood Vote Ranger
    > wrote:
    >

    >> "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Go away, you silly little man. You're pathetic.

    >> Hi, There are pathetic kooks, aka kookologists. Their goal is not helping
    >> with problems but make it worse. To answer your question, there are many
    >> reasons why a computer would freeze up. Right click on the task bar ( the
    >> bottom bar on your main monitor), click on task manager. Then click on
    >> performance tab.
    >>
    >> You should see if the CPU is near 100% or the PR Uages (memory) curve is
    >> flat at 2 GB. This would give you indication why the machine freezes. Let
    >> me
    >> know if you need more info.

    > Do what?

    Do you?

    Real Friendly Neighborhood Vote Ranger, Jan 27, 2006