XP NOT BOOTING

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by William Poaster, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. It was on Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:41:13 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that tomlou wrote:

    > win XP will not boot. All i get is a blank screen after the winxp logo. The
    > computer will boot in save mode. I have checked the device manager and there
    > was no problem found. So i installed a new 128mb and a 64mb of ram and
    > bought a new 40gb hard drive still no joy.
    >
    > I specs are :-
    >
    > 800mz processor
    > 64mb graphics card
    > 40mb hard drive
    > creative 5.1 live sound card
    > 192mb sdram
    >
    > many thanks

    Your date & time are *way* out -
    Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:41:13 -0000

    Actual posting date / time :-

    Please adjust your clock!

    --
    Registered Linux user: 305646 - http://counter.li.org/
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0

    William Poaster, Jan 3, 2004

  2. William Poaster

    HaJEEE Guest

    Hi there,

    what helps most of the time, is hit F8 at boot, actually shortly before
    boot, so that an option menu pops up in a dos like screen, where one of the
    options is "boot using the last known good config", booting will likely make
    the machine boot properly after again as well, untill MS decides to have
    another break ;-)

    Good luck,
    Henk-Jan

    HaJEEE, Jan 3, 2004

  3. "William Poaster" <> wrote in message
    > It was on Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:41:13 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    > large jam doughnut, that tomlou wrote:
    >
    > > win XP will not boot. All i get is a blank screen after the winxp logo.

    The
    > > computer will boot in save mode. I have checked the device manager and

    there
    > > was no problem found. So i installed a new 128mb and a 64mb of ram and
    > > bought a new 40gb hard drive still no joy.
    > >
    > > I specs are :-
    > >
    > > 800mz processor
    > > 64mb graphics card
    > > 40mb hard drive
    > > creative 5.1 live sound card
    > > 192mb sdram
    > >
    > > many thanks

    > Your date & time are *way* out -
    > Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:41:13 -0000
    >
    > Actual posting date / time :-
    >
    > Please adjust your clock!
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux user: 305646 - http://counter.li.org/
    > SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    > No viruses, no defragging,
    > NO M$, NO problems!!

    boot up with the winxp cd and run setup when you get to the part where it
    asks to install or "repair a windows installation"
    then choose repair.

    cheerz

    NorthernPirate, Jan 3, 2004
  4. William Poaster

    DataSpider Guest

    "tomlou" <> wrote in message
    > win XP will not boot. All i get is a blank screen after the winxp logo.

    The
    > computer will boot in save mode. I have checked the device manager and

    there
    > was no problem found. So i installed a new 128mb and a 64mb of ram and
    > bought a new 40gb hard drive still no joy.
    >
    > I specs are :-
    >
    > 800mz processor
    > 64mb graphics card
    > 40mb hard drive
    > creative 5.1 live sound card
    > 192mb sdram
    >
    > many thanks

    Try to remove the 64MB memory. If still the same try with removing the sound
    card.

    DataSpider, Jan 3, 2004
  5. William Poaster

    John Holmes Guest

    NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
    No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

    NorthernPirate came up with this:

    > "William Poaster" <> wrote in message
    >> It was on Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:41:13 +0000, just as I was halfway
    >> through a large jam doughnut, that tomlou wrote:
    >>
    >> > win XP will not boot. All i get is a blank screen after the winxp
    >> > logo.

    > The
    >> > computer will boot in save mode. I have checked the device manager
    >> > and

    > there
    >> > was no problem found. So i installed a new 128mb and a 64mb of ram
    >> > and bought a new 40gb hard drive still no joy.
    >> >
    >> > I specs are :-
    >> >
    >> > 800mz processor
    >> > 64mb graphics card
    >> > 40mb hard drive
    >> > creative 5.1 live sound card
    >> > 192mb sdram
    >> >
    >> > many thanks

    >> Your date & time are *way* out -
    >> Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:41:13 -0000
    >>
    >> Actual posting date / time :-
    >>
    >> Please adjust your clock!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Registered Linux user: 305646 - http://counter.li.org/
    >> SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    >> No viruses, no defragging,
    >> NO M$, NO problems!!
    >>

    > boot up with the winxp cd and run setup when you get to the part where
    > it asks to install or "repair a windows installation"
    > then choose repair.
    >
    > cheerz

    Why do you tell William this? He already knows that.

    --
    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    John Holmes, Jan 3, 2004
  6. It was on Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:52:51 -0600, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that NorthernPirate wrote:

    > "William Poaster" <> wrote in message
    >> It was on Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:41:13 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    >> large jam doughnut, that tomlou wrote:
    >>
    >> > win XP will not boot. All i get is a blank screen after the winxp logo.

    > The
    >> > computer will boot in save mode. I have checked the device manager and

    > there
    >> > was no problem found. So i installed a new 128mb and a 64mb of ram and
    >> > bought a new 40gb hard drive still no joy.
    >> >
    >> > I specs are :-
    >> >
    >> > 800mz processor
    >> > 64mb graphics card
    >> > 40mb hard drive
    >> > creative 5.1 live sound card
    >> > 192mb sdram
    >> >
    >> > many thanks

    >> Your date & time are *way* out -
    >> Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:41:13 -0000
    >>
    >> Actual posting date / time :-
    >>
    >> Please adjust your clock!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Registered Linux user: 305646 - http://counter.li.org/
    >> SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    >> No viruses, no defragging,
    >> NO M$, NO problems!!
    >>

    > boot up with the winxp cd and run setup when you get to the part where it
    > asks to install or "repair a windows installation"
    > then choose repair.
    >
    > cheerz

    Why are you telling me this? I wouldn't touch M$ products with a barge
    pole.

    William Poaster, Jan 3, 2004
  7. The easiest solution to this, and i can't believe noone else has thought
    of this, is reinstalling you graphics driver, first you'll have to boot
    to safe mode and change the driver to standard vga, reboot as normal,
    and install the graphics driver that worked, when you do the windows
    update, ignore installing the updated driver from ms, which is probably
    what you did the first time, and things went wrong.

    i really cant believe none of these other techs noticed you were able to
    boot into safe mode but blanked on normal boot, 9 out of 10, it's the
    graphics driver, if i'm wrong you can bash me later.

    Joel Harris Borsack, Jan 4, 2004
  8. "William Poaster" <> wrote in message
    > It was on Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:52:51 -0600, just as I was halfway through a
    > large jam doughnut, that NorthernPirate wrote:
    >

    > > "William Poaster" <> wrote in message
    > >> It was on Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:41:13 +0000, just as I was halfway

    through a

    logo.
    > > The

    and
    > > there

    and

    > >> Your date & time are *way* out -
    > >> Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:41:13 -0000
    > >>
    > >> Actual posting date / time :-
    > >>
    > >> Please adjust your clock!
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Registered Linux user: 305646 - http://counter.li.org/
    > >> SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    > >> No viruses, no defragging,
    > >> NO M$, NO problems!!
    > >>

    > > boot up with the winxp cd and run setup when you get to the part where

    it
    > > asks to install or "repair a windows installation"
    > > then choose repair.
    > >
    > > cheerz

    > Why are you telling me this? I wouldn't touch M$ products with a barge
    > pole.
    >

    > --
    > Registered Linux user: 305646 - http://counter.li.org/
    > SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    > No viruses, no defragging,
    > NO M$, NO problems!!

    one word: Comprehension

    NorthernPirate, Jan 4, 2004
  9. William Poaster

    Sano Guest

    "NorthernPirate" <NorthernPirate@hot*mail.com> spluttered in

    >> NO M$, NO problems!!
    >>

    > one word: Comprehension

    No, the word is Usenet. Learn how to post.

    --
    "You cannot teach a man anything; you
    can only help him discover it in himself."

    Sano, Jan 4, 2004
  10. William Poaster

    Sano Guest

    Good answer, I often forget it myself.

    Joel Harris Borsack <> spluttered in

    > The easiest solution to this, and i can't believe noone else has
    > thought of this, is reinstalling you graphics driver, first you'll
    > have to boot to safe mode and change the driver to standard vga,
    > reboot as normal, and install the graphics driver that worked, when
    > you do the windows update, ignore installing the updated driver from
    > ms, which is probably what you did the first time, and things went
    > wrong.
    >
    > i really cant believe none of these other techs

    What other *techs* ? I'm a mechanic. With a BBA.

    Some of my buddies think I could be a tech because I took a hdd apart
    once.

    tomlou, Jan 4, 2004