    How does XP decide what subnet mask etc to use when 'Use Automatic IP
    Address' is selected? I thought it would just query the router and get
    assigned everything from that.
    Chris Lim, Jun 18, 2006

  2. Chris Lim wrote:

    > Sometimes when I connect a computer to my LAN, it doesn't seem to be
    > able to get an IP address assigned from the (ADSL) router even though
    > 'Use Automatic IP Address' is selected. When I do an 'ipconfig', I see
    > that it has a different subnet mask than my other computers (e.g.
    > 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0), and the only way I can get it
    > connected to the LAN is to enter a specific IP address, subnet mask,
    > and Default Gateway.

    what is the IP addr when it has the incorrect mask?

    > How does XP decide what subnet mask etc to use when 'Use Automatic IP
    > Address' is selected? I thought it would just query the router and get
    > assigned everything from that.

    It should do
    Nathan Mercer, Jun 18, 2006

  3. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > what is the IP addr when it has the incorrect mask?

    I can't remember - the computer that it just happened with has gone
    back to its owner. Incidently, it was working fine until I changed the
    computer's name, then rebooted. In the past the problem seemed to
    happen when I changed the router, so is XP somehow caching the details
    and refusing to use the correct ones or something?
    Chris Lim, Jun 18, 2006
  4. Chris Lim

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 20:08:22 -0700, Chris Lim wrote:

    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >> what is the IP addr when it has the incorrect mask?

    > I can't remember - the computer that it just happened with has gone
    > back to its owner. Incidently, it was working fine until I changed the
    > computer's name, then rebooted. In the past the problem seemed to
    > happen when I changed the router, so is XP somehow caching the details
    > and refusing to use the correct ones or something?

    It'll set up a local guess and provide you with limited ( ie none )
    networking if if doesn't get a sensible answer from your dhcp server when
    needed. This can also occur if you rename your domain ...<something>.local
    ( thanks Microsoft! ).

    ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew should fix it if it was a
    connectivity issue.

    Steve
    Steve, Jun 18, 2006
  5. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > It'll set up a local guess and provide you with limited ( ie none )
    > networking if if doesn't get a sensible answer from your dhcp server when
    > needed. This can also occur if you rename your domain ...<something>.local
    > ( thanks Microsoft! ).
    >
    > ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew should fix it if it was a
    > connectivity issue.

    Yeah I tried both and neither of them worked. ipconfig hangs for a
    minute then returns an error saying it couldn't perform the action.

    Next time it happens I'll note the current IP address etc that it's
    trying to use and post that.
    Chris Lim, Jun 18, 2006
  6. Chris Lim

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Steve wrote:
    > > It'll set up a local guess and provide you with limited ( ie none )
    > > networking if if doesn't get a sensible answer from your dhcp server when
    > > needed. This can also occur if you rename your domain ...<something>.local
    > > ( thanks Microsoft! ).
    > >
    > > ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew should fix it if it was a
    > > connectivity issue.

    > Yeah I tried both and neither of them worked. ipconfig hangs for a
    > minute then returns an error saying it couldn't perform the action.
    >
    > Next time it happens I'll note the current IP address etc that it's
    > trying to use and post that.

    It sounds like your NIC isn't correctly configured/installed - or
    possibly faulty.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Jun 18, 2006