    few others like it.

    now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer, other
    than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 3, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    C9H8O4 Guest

    > heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a few
    > others like it.
    >
    > now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer, other
    > than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

    Think about it from the OEM's point of view too. Media Player is a free
    add-on so I would guess that Windows XP-N would cost them the same as
    Windows XP i.e. there is no price benefit. Why offer another product variant
    with all the inherent manufacturing, warehousing, stocking and support
    ramifications when there's no financial or technical upside in doing so ?
    Seems to me that the EU ruling is all about legal puffery and little to do
    with practical application in the real world. Of course, IANAL :)
    C9H8O4, Apr 4, 2005

  3. C9H8O4 wrote:
    >>heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a few
    >>others like it.
    >>now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer, other
    >>than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

    > Think about it from the OEM's point of view too. Media Player is a free
    > add-on so I would guess that Windows XP-N would cost them the same as
    > Windows XP i.e. there is no price benefit. Why offer another product variant
    > with all the inherent manufacturing, warehousing, stocking and support
    > ramifications when there's no financial or technical upside in doing so ?
    > Seems to me that the EU ruling is all about legal puffery and little to do
    > with practical application in the real world. Of course, IANAL :)

    I see that it was also posted a few days back...(stupid new house shit
    tying up my nntp time ;)

    anyway, it seems that most came to pretty much the same conclusion.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 4, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a
    > few others like it.
    >
    > now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer, other
    > than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

    If this remedy for MS's monopoly in Europe doesn't work.....the EU will
    likely look to impose one that will work.

    steve, Apr 4, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a few
    >> others like it.
    >>
    >> now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer, other
    >> than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

    > If this remedy for MS's monopoly in Europe doesn't work.....the EU will
    > likely look to impose one that will work.

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

    It has worked. MS have been forced to provide a version of Windows without a
    media player. It's just a shame that nobody other than Real actually wanted
    a version of Windows without a media player :)
    C9H8O4, Apr 4, 2005
  6. steve wrote:
    >> heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a
    >> few others like it.
    >> now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer,
    >> other than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

    > If this remedy for MS's monopoly in Europe doesn't work.....the EU will
    > likely look to impose one that will work.

    MS have complied, I don't see that it is their problem anymore, they did
    what was asked, and it didn't work the way the EU wanted. That should be
    the end of the story.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 4, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >steve wrote:
    >>> heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a
    >>> few others like it.
    >>> now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer,
    >>> other than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

    >> If this remedy for MS's monopoly in Europe doesn't work.....the EU will
    >> likely look to impose one that will work.

    >MS have complied, I don't see that it is their problem anymore, they did
    >what was asked, and it didn't work the way the EU wanted. That should be
    >the end of the story.

    If the remedy didn't work, then the offence that prompted the EC to take
    action is still continuing. If it's still continuing, then punitive
    action must be taken.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 5, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Windows User Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:49:44 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,

    >>> If this remedy for MS's monopoly in Europe doesn't work.....the EU will
    >>> likely look to impose one that will work.

    >>MS have complied, I don't see that it is their problem anymore, they did
    >>what was asked, and it didn't work the way the EU wanted. That should be
    >>the end of the story.

    >If the remedy didn't work, then the offence that prompted the EC to take
    >action is still continuing. If it's still continuing, then punitive
    >action must be taken.

    what is the "offence"

    who is "offended"
    Windows User, Apr 5, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    Windows User <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:49:44 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,

    >>>MS have complied, I don't see that it is their problem anymore, they did
    >>>what was asked, and it didn't work the way the EU wanted. That should be
    >>>the end of the story.

    >>If the remedy didn't work, then the offence that prompted the EC to take
    >>action is still continuing. If it's still continuing, then punitive
    >>action must be taken.

    >what is the "offence"
    >
    >who is "offended"

    <http://news.com.com/EU Microsoft not complying with order/2100-7343_3-56