    in some kind of loop

    Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?

    Gay
    brazen, Sep 5, 2007

  2. brazen

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in message
    news:fbna49$3vc$...
    >I have a friend who is having problems with her computer (Win XP) in that
    >she copied a folder of photos in her My Pictures folder, and now every time
    >she opens the folder it copies them over and over and over.... seems to be
    >in some kind of loop
    >
    > Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?
    >
    > Gay

    When selecting all images one has to be careful an extra click of the mouse
    on the screen can easily paste several copies or in some cases a jump of the
    mouse cursor as well.
    It should show how many files are in her new folder, it could be in the
    thousands if she had plenty of files to start with.

    Worth knowing that their are several ways of copying files and moving files
    with XP.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Sep 6, 2007

  3. brazen

    brazen Guest

    > "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a friend who is having problems with her computer (Win XP) in that
    >>she copied a folder of photos in her My Pictures folder, and now every
    >>time she opens the folder it copies them over and over and over.... seems
    >>to be in some kind of loop
    >>
    >> Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?
    >>
    >> Gay

    > When selecting all images one has to be careful an extra click of the
    > mouse on the screen can easily paste several copies or in some cases a
    > jump of the mouse cursor as well.
    > It should show how many files are in her new folder, it could be in the
    > thousands if she had plenty of files to start with.
    >
    > Worth knowing that their are several ways of copying files and moving
    > files with XP.

    Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
    folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning

    gay
    brazen, Sep 6, 2007
  4. brazen

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a friend who is having problems with her computer (Win XP) in that
    >>>she copied a folder of photos in her My Pictures folder, and now every
    >>>time she opens the folder it copies them over and over and over.... seems
    >>>to be in some kind of loop
    >>>
    >>> Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?
    >>>
    >>> Gay

    >> When selecting all images one has to be careful an extra click of the
    >> mouse on the screen can easily paste several copies or in some cases a
    >> jump of the mouse cursor as well.
    >> It should show how many files are in her new folder, it could be in the
    >> thousands if she had plenty of files to start with.
    >>
    >> Worth knowing that their are several ways of copying files and moving
    >> files with XP.
    >>

    > Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
    > folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning
    >
    > gay

    You might have to check the folder options menu. Perhaps that's the only
    folder the problem is happening on.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Sep 6, 2007
  5. brazen

    none Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
    > folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning

    Could try being more specific (or less vague).

    Copies them where exactly? What kind of behaviour does the machine display?
    none, Sep 6, 2007
  6. brazen

    impossible Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >I have a friend who is having problems with her computer (Win XP) in that
    >she copied a folder of photos in her My Pictures folder, and now every time
    >she opens the folder it copies them over and over and over.... seems to be
    >in some kind of loop
    >
    > Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?

    Sounds like trouble. Has your friend got a good AV program installed?
    impossible, Sep 6, 2007
  7. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "none" <> wrote in message
    > brazen wrote:
    >> Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
    >> folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning

    > Could try being more specific (or less vague).
    >
    > Copies them where exactly? What kind of behaviour does the machine
    > display?

    I havent seen it myself - she's been phoning me for help. But AFAIK she has
    a subfolder in My Pictures with 7 slide scans and each time she opens MP it
    copies the folder to itself (ie MP) - at last count it was over 100x so that
    says its only doing it when she opens the folder, otherwise there would be
    thousands as she first had the problem yesterday.

    Gay
    brazen, Sep 6, 2007
  8. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a friend who is having problems with her computer (Win XP) in that
    >>she copied a folder of photos in her My Pictures folder, and now every
    >>time she opens the folder it copies them over and over and over.... seems
    >>to be in some kind of loop
    >>
    >> Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?
    >>

    > Sounds like trouble. Has your friend got a good AV program installed?

    I think its one of the freebies Avast
    brazen, Sep 6, 2007
  9. brazen

    impossible Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in message

    > "none" <> wrote in message
    >> brazen wrote:
    >>> Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
    >>> folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning

    >> Could try being more specific (or less vague).
    >>
    >> Copies them where exactly? What kind of behaviour does the machine
    >> display?

    > I havent seen it myself - she's been phoning me for help. But AFAIK she
    > has a subfolder in My Pictures with 7 slide scans and each time she opens
    > MP it copies the folder to itself (ie MP) - at last count it was over 100x
    > so that says its only doing it when she opens the folder, otherwise there
    > would be thousands as she first had the problem yesterday.

    Just as a check, if you haven't already tried this -- have your friend
    reboot the machine in Safe Mode and then see if you get the same behavior.
    If not, then either the problem is a one-off fluke (reboot in Normal Mode to
    confirm) or else it's caused by some rogue script or trojan that's suddenly
    getting loaded on a regular start-up.
    impossible, Sep 6, 2007
  10. brazen wrote:
    > "none" <> wrote in message
    >> brazen wrote:
    >>> Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
    >>> folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning

    >> Could try being more specific (or less vague).
    >>
    >> Copies them where exactly? What kind of behaviour does the machine
    >> display?

    > I havent seen it myself - she's been phoning me for help. But AFAIK she has
    > a subfolder in My Pictures with 7 slide scans and each time she opens MP it
    > copies the folder to itself (ie MP) - at last count it was over 100x so that
    > says its only doing it when she opens the folder, otherwise there would be
    > thousands as she first had the problem yesterday.

    It sounds as though there may be a link getting a bit recursive somewhere.

    Perhaps she's managed get a link into MP which points to MP.

    Ask her if any of the icons have wee arrows.

    Scandisk applied to the file structure may help (I don't think a surface scan
    is necessary or would help).
    Mark Robinson, Sep 6, 2007
  11. brazen

    Geoff Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > "none" <> wrote in message
    >> brazen wrote:
    >>> Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she
    >>> opens the folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still
    >>> keeps happning

    >> Could try being more specific (or less vague).
    >>
    >> Copies them where exactly? What kind of behaviour does the machine
    >> display?

    > I havent seen it myself - she's been phoning me for help. But AFAIK
    > she has a subfolder in My Pictures with 7 slide scans and each time
    > she opens MP it copies the folder to itself (ie MP) - at last count
    > it was over 100x so that says its only doing it when she opens the
    > folder, otherwise there would be thousands as she first had the
    > problem yesterday.

    Stuck key on her keyboard ?

    geoff
    Geoff, Sep 6, 2007
  12. brazen

    Squiggle Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > brazen wrote:
    >> "none" <> wrote in message
    >>> Could try being more specific (or less vague).
    >>>
    >>> Copies them where exactly? What kind of behaviour does the machine
    >>> display?

    >> I havent seen it myself - she's been phoning me for help. But AFAIK
    >> she has a subfolder in My Pictures with 7 slide scans and each time
    >> she opens MP it copies the folder to itself (ie MP) - at last count
    >> it was over 100x so that says its only doing it when she opens the
    >> folder, otherwise there would be thousands as she first had the
    >> problem yesterday.

    > Stuck key on her keyboard ?
    >
    > geoff

    Or a faulty mouse button that is being interpretted as a click and drag
    possibly?
    Squiggle, Sep 6, 2007
  13. brazen

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in message

    > "none" <> wrote in message
    >> brazen wrote:
    >>> Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
    >>> folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning

    >> Could try being more specific (or less vague).
    >>
    >> Copies them where exactly? What kind of behaviour does the machine
    >> display?

    > I havent seen it myself - she's been phoning me for help. But AFAIK she
    > has a subfolder in My Pictures with 7 slide scans and each time she opens
    > MP it copies the folder to itself (ie MP) - at last count it was over 100x
    > so that says its only doing it when she opens the folder, otherwise there
    > would be thousands as she first had the problem yesterday.
    >
    > Gay

    Find out what she's called the folder. Shouldn't make much difference but
    she might've called it My Pictures as well.

    Your best bet is to go and have a look at what's going for yourself.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Sep 6, 2007
  14. brazen

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-09-06, brazen <> wrote:

    > "none" <> wrote in message
    >> brazen wrote:
    >>> Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
    >>> folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning

    >> Could try being more specific (or less vague).
    >>
    >> Copies them where exactly? What kind of behaviour does the machine
    >> display?

    > I havent seen it myself - she's been phoning me for help.

    May I suggest you pop over and see it for yourself if possible.
    Gordon, Sep 7, 2007
  15. brazen

    Geoff Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    >> I havent seen it myself - she's been phoning me for help.

    > May I suggest you pop over and see it for yourself if possible.

    Could be an "ID Ten T" error ?

    geoff
    Geoff, Sep 10, 2007
  16. brazen

    Matty F Guest

    On Sep 6, 10:18 am, "brazen" <> wrote:
    > I have a friend who is having problems with her computer (Win XP) in that
    > she copied a folder of photos in her My Pictures folder, and now every time
    > she opens the folder it copies them over and over and over.... seems to be
    > in some kind of loop
    >
    > Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?

    I have seen a similar error that happens sometimes when backing up a
    folder to CD using Nero. There appeared to be a problem if more than
    one of the sub-folder names had the same first 8 characters (i.e.
    there's a bug in the "long file name" handling). After renaming them,
    the problem seems to have gone away.
    Matty F, Sep 10, 2007
  17. In message <>, Matty F
    wrote:

    > I have seen a similar error that happens sometimes when backing up a
    > folder to CD using Nero. There appeared to be a problem if more than
    > one of the sub-folder names had the same first 8 characters (i.e.
    > there's a bug in the "long file name" handling). After renaming them,
    > the problem seems to have gone away.

    When were long file names introduced? 12 years ago. And yet Dimdows and its
    apps still have these limitations due to the need to remain
    backward-compatible with short file names.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 10, 2007
  18. brazen

    Matty F Guest

    On Sep 10, 7:48 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Matty F
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have seen a similar error that happens sometimes when backing up a
    > > folder to CD using Nero. There appeared to be a problem if more than
    > > one of the sub-folder names had the same first 8 characters (i.e.
    > > there's a bug in the "long file name" handling). After renaming them,
    > > the problem seems to have gone away.

    > When were long file names introduced? 12 years ago. And yet Dimdows and its
    > apps still have these limitations due to the need to remain
    > backward-compatible with short file names.

    I'm not surprised there are bugs. It must be quite horrible chasing
    pointers to the long file names, deleting names from the middle of the
    list, allowing for mixtures of folder names and file names etc.
    And why did Windoze ever allow duplicate folder names, especially a
    whole chain of them?
    Matty F, Sep 10, 2007
  19. In message <>, Matty F
    wrote:

    > On Sep 10, 7:48 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Matty
    >> F wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have seen a similar error that happens sometimes when backing up a
    >> > folder to CD using Nero. There appeared to be a problem if more than
    >> > one of the sub-folder names had the same first 8 characters (i.e.
    >> > there's a bug in the "long file name" handling). After renaming them,
    >> > the problem seems to have gone away.

    >> When were long file names introduced? 12 years ago. And yet Dimdows and
    >> its apps still have these limitations due to the need to remain
    >> backward-compatible with short file names.

    > I'm not surprised there are bugs. It must be quite horrible chasing
    > pointers to the long file names, deleting names from the middle of the
    > list, allowing for mixtures of folder names and file names etc.

    You'd think the move to NTFS would have done away with all that 8.3
    nonsense. But it appears not. In spite of all its claims to have left its
    antediluvian MS-DOS roots behind, it looks like key parts of that old code
    are still alive and well in Dimdows today...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 10, 2007
  20. brazen

    Matty F Guest

    On Sep 10, 9:29 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Matty F
    > wrote:

    > > I'm not surprised there are bugs. It must be quite horrible chasing
    > > pointers to the long file names, deleting names from the middle of the
    > > list, allowing for mixtures of folder names and file names etc.

    > You'd think the move to NTFS would have done away with all that 8.3
    > nonsense. But it appears not. In spite of all its claims to have left its
    > antediluvian MS-DOS roots behind, it looks like key parts of that old code
    > are still alive and well in Dimdows today...

    I forgot to mention that it was on a friend's computer with Win98SE.
    He's quite happy with that. No nasty patches to download all the time
    on dialup. No he never gets viruses etc.
    Matty F, Sep 10, 2007