    dlink who both pointed the finger at each other. I think it is a setting in
    windows I am missing. Can anyone seem to figure this one out. I use XP home
    on all systems and XP media center on the laptop. Thanks.

    James D, May 19, 2006

  2. James D

    Kevin Guest

    "James D" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just got a new gateway laptop. I networked it on my home network. I can
    > access all other shared folders (hidden an unhidden) going OUT of the
    > laptop. I CANNOT however see anything going IN to the laptop. I have tried
    > connecting both wired and wireless and still nothing. I called gateway and
    > dlink who both pointed the finger at each other. I think it is a setting
    > in
    > windows I am missing. Can anyone seem to figure this one out. I use XP
    > home
    > on all systems and XP media center on the laptop. Thanks.

    So your other computers can't see the laptop? Did you enable file sharing
    on the laptop?

    Kevin, May 19, 2006

  3. James D

    Malke Guest

    James D wrote:

    > Just got a new gateway laptop. I networked it on my home network. I
    > can access all other shared folders (hidden an unhidden) going OUT of
    > the laptop. I CANNOT however see anything going IN to the laptop. I
    > have tried connecting both wired and wireless and still nothing. I
    > called gateway and dlink who both pointed the finger at each other. I
    > think it is a setting in windows I am missing. Can anyone seem to
    > figure this one out. I use XP home on all systems and XP media center
    > on the laptop. Thanks.

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, May 19, 2006
  4. James D

    cgi101

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I had a similar probelm on my Windows XP computer... I had printer sharing and file sharing enabled on my desktop computer, and file sharing on all my laptops... All of my laptops could see each other's file shares, and the desktop could see all the laptop file shares, but no laptop could see the desktop's file shares... However the laptops did 'see' the desktop in the workgroup... they just didn't detect any file shares.

    After reading this thread and hearing about how the guest account is used with simple file sharing, I had a stroke of genius.... I had put a password on the guest account!
    I simply went to the windows control panel, went to the user accounts settings, and removed the guest account password. Voila! All the laptops suddenly see the desktop's file and printer shares.

    Hope this helps someone else!

    cgi101, Jul 23, 2006
  5. James D

    myCubeIsMyCell

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    THANK YOU cgi101 ! I'd been pulling what's left of my hair out trying to figure out what the heck was going on with my MCE 2005 system... I didn't recall ever setting a pass on the Guest account - but sure enough... resetting it did the trick!

    Thanks!

    myCubeIsMyCell, Oct 2, 2007