XP Machine looses HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by M, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. M

    M Guest

    Hi all,

    Had a machine given to me to fix the other day, user logged on... then the
    logon box greyed out... and that was it. After some time I could run task
    manager (ctrl+alt+del) but I couldnt run ANYTHING... I got an error that the
    'exe' was not associated.
    I figured how do I associate when I cant run aything? - I decided to try to
    export a 'exe' association from another registry. Did this, only to find
    'reg' files were also not associated.
    By this time I was pulling straws, rebooted in safe mode with command, found
    that regedit ran so I could import registry files. Imported a few essentials
    but to no avail... then I noticed, everything inside KHEY_CLASSES_ROOT was
    missing! - which made sence but..

    How did it happen? User said they logged off, put machine away (laptop) for
    an hour, came back, turned on, logged on and it was like that. No1 else used
    it etc....

    Just curious to how it happened, and more so if its going to happen again!

    M, Nov 28, 2003

  2. M

    Mike Guest

    "M" <> wrote in message news:<OYFxb.10319$>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Had a machine given to me to fix the other day, user logged on... then the
    > logon box greyed out... and that was it. After some time I could run task
    > manager (ctrl+alt+del) but I couldnt run ANYTHING... I got an error that the
    > 'exe' was not associated.
    > I figured how do I associate when I cant run aything? - I decided to try to
    > export a 'exe' association from another registry. Did this, only to find
    > 'reg' files were also not associated.
    > By this time I was pulling straws, rebooted in safe mode with command, found
    > that regedit ran so I could import registry files. Imported a few essentials
    > but to no avail... then I noticed, everything inside KHEY_CLASSES_ROOT was
    > missing! - which made sence but..
    >
    > How did it happen? User said they logged off, put machine away (laptop) for
    > an hour, came back, turned on, logged on and it was like that. No1 else used
    > it etc....
    >
    > Just curious to how it happened, and more so if its going to happen again!

    I've had this happen four times now since August. Once with XP Home,
    once with XP Pro installed on top of XP Home and now twice with XP Pro
    (clean install). The XP "system restore" is a joke.

    The first three times it happened after coming back from a "hibernate"
    so I figured that XP wasn't clearing the disk cache before it went to
    sleep. I disabled Hibernate and Standby and figured I'd be okay. This
    last time, however, it happened with just a restart. Not good.

    Some KB articles talk about potential causes (814545 comes to mind
    with its, "The registry resiliency code in Windows XP Service Pack 1
    (SP1) removes corrupted registry keys when Windows starts, but may
    inadvertently delete a subset of keys").

    Anyway, I've taken to periodically backing up the registry and then
    restoring it when this happens. It worked the last time, anyway (I'm
    attempting another restore right now). I restart the machine in "Safe
    Mode - with Command Prompt", run Regedit and do an import from there.
    You're right about the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT being the problem. In two
    cases I had about half the keys there but this last one wiped out the
    entire HEKY_CLASSES_ROOT. The import errors out at some point but upon
    reboot the machine starts ok.

    Once I get this up and running, I'm installing 2K...XP is the biggest
    POS ever released.

    Mike, Dec 4, 2003

  3. M

    Enkidu Guest

    On 4 Dec 2003 14:17:25 -0800, (Mike) wrote:

    >I've had this happen four times now since August. Once with XP Home,
    >once with XP Pro installed on top of XP Home and now twice with XP Pro
    >(clean install). The XP "system restore" is a joke.

    {snip]

    >Once I get this up and running, I'm installing 2K...XP is the biggest
    >POS ever released.

    What do you guys do to these machines to make them misbehave so? I've
    had XP for over a year and I've installed it on maybe half a dozen
    other machines. I've not had any such problems or had them reported to
    me.

    It's a good deal more stable than 2000. Why do you want to go back?
    2000 doesn't crash, but it does just hang for no good reason now and
    then and require a reboot. I've never had that with XP.

    It's easy to blame the OS, when it could be the hardware.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Dec 5, 2003
  4. M

    M Guest

    Hi guys....

    Well its never happened to me before, this happened on a Toshiba laptop,
    which the user I know is clued up, and isnt the type to muck around or not
    know what hes doing.

    It was just a normal bootup, login, and the damage was already done, no
    error message, and I couldnt view the event log except for txt files I could
    open in notepad.

    Ive had XP on my home machine for almost a year, and no problems like this.

    I *really* hope it doesnt happen again. - But I may implement a system state
    / registry backup very soon as it looks like ill have 100 of this exact
    model push out to our users!.... tough times ahead!

    M, Dec 5, 2003
  5. M

    Brendan Guest

    On 4 Dec 2003 14:17:25 -0800, (Mike) wrote:

    >Once I get this up and running, I'm installing 2K...XP is the biggest
    >POS ever released.

    It's not XP. Simple process of logic - you cannot find mention of it
    elsewhere because it is not happening to anyone else. Ergo, it is your
    particular combination of hardware and software.

    Something you are running is doing this. It is likely to be some
    buggy/malicious piece of software.

    And do not be surpised therefore if it happens in 2k as well.

    --

    ....Brendan

    Under capitalism, man exploits man.
    Under communism, it's just the opposite.
    J.K.Galbraith

    Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

    Brendan, Dec 5, 2003
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > Once I get this up and running, I'm installing 2K...XP is the biggest
    > POS ever released.

    I think that prize has to go to Windows ME, tho'!
    Then again, they've carried a lot of that ME crap on into XP, haven't
    they? (the ridiculously designed system restore for instance)

    I find XP is nowhere near as stable and reliable as a lot of people make
    out. I used to run Win98 for a week+ without turning off and without
    having any problems. I find I have to reboot XP at least every 2-3 days
    or it starts to play up; the 'separate memory space' model doesn't work
    as reliably as advertised; still get corruption, memory leaks,
    unkillable hung processes etc... <sigh>

    If Win98 ran properly on my new mobo, I'd go back like a flash.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 5, 2003
  7. M

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message

    > I find XP is nowhere near as stable and reliable as a lot of people make
    > out. I used to run Win98 for a week+ without turning off and without
    > having any problems. I find I have to reboot XP at least every 2-3 days
    > or it starts to play up; the 'separate memory space' model doesn't work
    > as reliably as advertised; still get corruption, memory leaks,
    > unkillable hung processes etc... <sigh>

    IMO you need to look at what software you are running. It's not too
    difficult to get consistent and long uptimes out of Windows, you just need
    to take care with what you load onto your machine.

    My plain old Win2k with SP4 has been up for almost 14 days without missing a
    tick. In fact the only reason it was shut down previously was because we had
    visitors and the PC is in the spare bedroom. Prior to that this PC had been
    up for more than 50 days (yeah running Win2K Pro). On that occasion it had
    been rebooted because i had developed an instabilty from the previous uptime
    of 84 days - what was it?, i don't know but 5 mins to reboot and it's been a
    happy camper ever since.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    Losers always whine about their 'best'.