    Searching for gpedit get a nil report.

    What's the simplest way of restoring this file to by machine without
    reloading XP ?
    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Dec 5, 2005

  2. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    CyiPherX Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 06:53:32 +1300, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    > When I type gpedit.msc in the Run dialog I get a report that Windows
    > cannot find the file.
    >
    > Searching for gpedit get a nil report.
    >
    > What's the simplest way of restoring this file to by machine without
    > reloading XP ?

    Are you using xp pro?, since it's not included in the xp home edition.

    If you have access to xp pro then..

    Copy the files gpedit.dll and fde.dll from \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Pro
    machine to \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Home machine.
    * From a command prompt issue the following commands on the XP Home
    machine: regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\gpedit.dll

    * regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\fde.dll Open the Microsoft Management
    Console (mmc.exe) and select File->Add/Remove Snap-in... Then click Add.
    Select the Group Policy snap-in from the list of installed snap ins.

    CyiPherX

    --
    Want to tell the world where you are??
    Add yourself to either the nz.comp http://www.frappr.com/nzcompusenetgroup
    CyiPherX, Dec 5, 2005

  3. CyiPherX:

    Many Thanks -- worked like a charm
    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Dec 6, 2005