XP logon problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matthew, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    Hi all

    I've come accross a strange situation with a laptop running XP SP2..

    The laptop had XP Pro SP2 installed on it, works fine, all drivers up to
    date and no intermittant faults.

    However, after performing a windows update, the machine rebooted, and locked
    the user out at the welcome screen. Previously, he has had it setup so that
    there is no password, it just logs him in automatically. But after about
    10mb of updates, the machine now comes to the welcome screen, and the user
    is presented with a 2 usernames - his and administrator.

    The problem is when you try to click on either user, it spits out an error
    message: "The system cannot log you on due to the following error: the
    program issued a command, but the command length is incorrect. Please try
    again or consult administrator". It does this for both accounts, with or
    without any type of passwords, also does it in safe mode too. There is no
    hex error message either.

    So before I try to roll back the configuration or reinstall, has anyone come
    accross this sort of thing before? If so, can you please advise what to do
    ... I've tried google and the Microsoft Knowledge base, but to no avail.

    The machine:
    Dell Inspiron 1100
    Celery 2.4ghz
    512 MB Ram

    Theres been no changes to the hardware

    Thanks in advance,

    Matthew
    Matthew, Apr 4, 2005

  2. Matthew

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Matthew" <> wrote in

    > So before I try to roll back the configuration or reinstall, has
    > anyone come accross this sort of thing before? If so, can you please
    > advise what to do .. I've tried google and the Microsoft Knowledge
    > base, but to no avail.

    Look in the event logs and visit http://www.eventid.net/search.asp to see
    what it is all about.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 4, 2005

  3. Matthew

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    > "Matthew" <> wrote in
    >
    >> So before I try to roll back the configuration or reinstall, has
    >> anyone come accross this sort of thing before? If so, can you please
    >> advise what to do .. I've tried google and the Microsoft Knowledge
    >> base, but to no avail.

    > Look in the event logs and visit http://www.eventid.net/search.asp to see
    > what it is all about.

    Yes, but if he has a computer that he can't log into then how does he look
    at the log and visit the website?

    --
    Regards,
    Peter.
    Peter Lowrie, Apr 4, 2005
  4. Matthew

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Peter Lowrie <> wrote in

    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> "Matthew" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> So before I try to roll back the configuration or reinstall, has
    >>> anyone come accross this sort of thing before? If so, can you please
    >>> advise what to do .. I've tried google and the Microsoft Knowledge
    >>> base, but to no avail.

    >> Look in the event logs and visit http://www.eventid.net/search.asp to
    >> see what it is all about.
    >>

    > Yes, but if he has a computer that he can't log into then how does he
    > look at the log and visit the website?

    I thought the OP said he could get into safe mode.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 5, 2005