XP lockout problem

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Keith Chilton, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. I've never had this happen before. Anybody have ideas on what to do?

    ---

    I have an XP pro station joined to a workgroup. It has two accounts. One is
    administrator, the other is not. I tried to login to the administrator
    account. It says "Unable to log you on because your account has been locked
    out, please contact your administrator."
    The other account when I try to login to it says "The security log on the
    system is full. Only administrators can log on to fix the problem."

    I can't get into the PC anymore. I tried to boot in safe mood to clear that
    stupid security log in Event Viewer, but I can't even login in safe mode,
    nothing shows up to click to login.

    I'm stuck and I don't want to format the dumb thing. Is it possible to clear
    that security log by doing "safe mode with command prompt" mode?

    Has anyone ever been locked out like this? I know XP forces you to have one
    administrator account and I know about the whole password disk thing, but i
    dont have one. Never thought this would happen like this. I hate the
    security logs!!!!!!!!!!

    --
    Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
    River Valley Financial Bank

    Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
    contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
    applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

    Keith Chilton, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Keith Chilton

    wagnerk Guest

    I don't know if this will help you or not, but I've come across something
    very similar, try ERD Commander 2005. It has a administrative utility to
    deal with user accounts on the local PC. Microsoft has actually bought this
    product now (so the new version flies under the MS flag) so I don't know what
    other utlities are bundled with it now.

    Hope it helps

    -Ken

    wagnerk, Jan 26, 2007

  3. It looks like it might help but unfortunately i cant find any way to get it.
    (unless i spend 1200 bucks) Thank you though. I guess I'll be formatting it.
    Hopefully i can get my graphics and network drivers back to the way they
    were.

    Keith Chilton, Jan 26, 2007
  4. Keith. I run into this problem all the time. Use this:
    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm#1. It is free
    and works every time for me. Good luck.

    Drop me an email if you cannot get it and I will send you the CD.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    http://www.yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom

    Michael D. Alligood, Jan 27, 2007
  5. I have also posted a link on my blog for you.

    Michael D. Alligood, Jan 27, 2007
  6. Thanks a whole heck of a lot Michael! This will save me a lot of time and
    save me from formatting that PC at work. When i get back to work Monday I'll
    give it a shot. It looks very promising though. As always you guys are the
    best. It's really amazing the amount I've benefited from being in this
    newsgroup.

    Keith Chilton, Jan 27, 2007
  7. No problem. We are here to help. Just burn the ISO to the disc and make
    it bootable. Then store it in your "toolbox" and be a hero to your
    company! :)

    Michael D. Alligood, Jan 27, 2007
  8. You got any good tools that could unlock an XP prof machine joined to Act.
    Dir? My local admin account is locked and for some reason i cant even get
    into the domain account either ... That one you posted last night did not
    work for it, but it does work for non-AD machines. Tested it today. I am
    going to disable this locking out crap on all our machines i think. It's
    really starting to irk me getting locked out as the admin.

    Keith Chilton, Jan 31, 2007
  9. It (the tool Michael directed me towards that you burn onto CD or floppy)
    gets halfway through and just locks up forcing you to restart the PC.

    Keith Chilton, Jan 31, 2007
  10. I'm setting the "Account Threshold" value to 0 as a result of all this to
    every computer not joined to the domain. We don't have a problem with
    password crackers where I work so this whole lockout thing has become a
    highly irritating thing for me to deal with.

    Keith Chilton, Feb 1, 2007