  1. I am trying to delete a file, but xp keeps telling me the file is locked.
    But, I have no applications open.

    Is it possible to see what program or process is locking a file?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 28, 2006

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    XPD Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    news:GqhWf.9240$...
    >I am trying to delete a file, but xp keeps telling me the file is locked.
    >But, I have no applications open.
    >
    > Is it possible to see what program or process is locking a file?

    Is it a video file by any chance ? XP tries to preview the video therefore
    locking it......

    XPD, Mar 28, 2006

  3. "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message

    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to delete a file, but xp keeps telling me the file is locked.
    >>But, I have no applications open.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to see what program or process is locking a file?
    >>

    > Is it a video file by any chance ? XP tries to preview the video therefore
    > locking it......

    It is a TIF file, but, nothing has it open - at least, nothing obvious.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 28, 2006
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    Brendon Guest

    Restart your machine - and then browse to it straight away - and delete it -
    without opening it in any program - like Windows Picture viewer etc. It
    should work.

    Brendon, Mar 28, 2006
  5. news.xtra.co.nz

    Invisible Guest

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:57:11 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote:

    >I am trying to delete a file, but xp keeps telling me the file is locked.
    >But, I have no applications open.
    >
    >Is it possible to see what program or process is locking a file?

    Try this:
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

    Invisible, Mar 28, 2006
  6. "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:57:11 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I am trying to delete a file, but xp keeps telling me the file is locked.
    >>But, I have no applications open.
    >>
    >>Is it possible to see what program or process is locking a file?
    >>

    > Try this:
    > http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

    great, thanks for this.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 28, 2006
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    David Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > I am trying to delete a file, but xp keeps telling me the file is locked.
    > But, I have no applications open.
    >
    > Is it possible to see what program or process is locking a file?

    Try process explorer, a handy program for all sorts of stuff. Press
    "Find Handle" then type in the filename, it will show you which
    processes have it open, and will even let you close that handle without
    killing the process.

    David, Mar 29, 2006