    I think someone posted in here a while ago about some app that cut XP
    down to size for running specific apps or as a gaming rig etc. Can
    anyone shed some light on this?
    Dogg, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Dogg

    frederick Guest

    "Dogg" <doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I think someone posted in here a while ago about some app that cut XP
    > down to size for running specific apps or as a gaming rig etc. Can
    > anyone shed some light on this?

    You might have to shift country to get it (and maybe learn another language)

    http://www.entmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=6334
    or
    http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/8/11/latest/18416Microsoft&sec=latest

    I don't think it is quite what you are looking for though.
    frederick, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Dogg

    Chris Guest

    www.litepc.com ?
    Chris, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Dogg

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I think someone posted in here a while ago about some app that cut XP
    > down to size for running specific apps or as a gaming rig etc. Can
    > anyone shed some light on this?

    That were me. After I posted someonelse posted another (free and IMHO
    better) utility NLite.
    http://nuhi.msfn.org/
    I downloaded it and it is really good. Much better than XPLite (free
    version) but the xplite pro does do much more tho.
    I would recommend nlite tho but tis up to you what you use.

    HTH
    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Dogg

    Chris Guest

    bAZZ <> wrote in news:MPG.1b8f0d8f9742ad6a989694
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    > In article <>,
    > doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com says...
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I think someone posted in here a while ago about some app that cut XP
    >> down to size for running specific apps or as a gaming rig etc. Can
    >> anyone shed some light on this?
    >>

    > That were me. After I posted someonelse posted another (free and IMHO
    > better) utility NLite.
    > http://nuhi.msfn.org/
    > I downloaded it and it is really good. Much better than XPLite (free
    > version) but the xplite pro does do much more tho.
    > I would recommend nlite tho but tis up to you what you use.
    >
    > HTH
    > bAZZ

    I C that is beta though, a bit like windows anyway lol

    How long have you been using it ?

    Got the page open now .........
    Chris, Aug 19, 2004
  6. Dogg

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <tyYUc.63557$>,
    says...
    > bAZZ <> wrote in news:MPG.1b8f0d8f9742ad6a989694
    > @news.orcon.net.nz:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com says...
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> I think someone posted in here a while ago about some app that cut XP
    > >> down to size for running specific apps or as a gaming rig etc. Can
    > >> anyone shed some light on this?
    > >>

    > > That were me. After I posted someonelse posted another (free and IMHO
    > > better) utility NLite.
    > > http://nuhi.msfn.org/
    > > I downloaded it and it is really good. Much better than XPLite (free
    > > version) but the xplite pro does do much more tho.
    > > I would recommend nlite tho but tis up to you what you use.
    > >
    > > HTH
    > > bAZZ

    > I C that is beta though, a bit like windows anyway lol
    >
    > How long have you been using it ?
    >
    > Got the page open now .........

    Hmmm about a week. Downloaded it after reading it here and installed it
    to have a play. From a brief play it looked OK in what it could do. I
    was gonna wait and get SP2, slipstream it then use nlite to rip the guts
    out of XP and install it with only features I wanted. Prob get round to
    it in a week or so. Till then my recommendation is only from having a
    brief fiddle with it.Can post back here when I do and let you know how
    it goes.

    Also got the free trial XPLite but it is very limited in what it can do.
    The paid for pro version has heaps more features but I do not want to
    pay to remove features of windows that I don't want/need.

    HTH
    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Aug 19, 2004
  7. Dogg

    Chris Guest

    bAZZ <> wrote in

    > In article <tyYUc.63557$>,
    > says...
    >> bAZZ <> wrote in news:MPG.1b8f0d8f9742ad6a989694
    >> @news.orcon.net.nz:
    >>
    >> > In article <>,
    >> > doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com says...

    >> > That were me. After I posted someonelse posted another (free and
    >> > IMHO better) utility NLite.
    >> > http://nuhi.msfn.org/
    >> > I downloaded it and it is really good. Much better than XPLite
    >> > (free version) but the xplite pro does do much more tho.
    >> > I would recommend nlite tho but tis up to you what you use.
    >> >
    >> > HTH
    >> > bAZZ

    >> I C that is beta though, a bit like windows anyway lol
    >>
    >> How long have you been using it ?
    >>
    >> Got the page open now .........
    >>

    > Hmmm about a week. Downloaded it after reading it here and installed
    > it to have a play. From a brief play it looked OK in what it could do.
    > I was gonna wait and get SP2, slipstream it then use nlite to rip the
    > guts out of XP and install it with only features I wanted. Prob get
    > round to it in a week or so. Till then my recommendation is only from
    > having a brief fiddle with it.Can post back here when I do and let you
    > know how it goes.
    >
    > Also got the free trial XPLite but it is very limited in what it can
    > do. The paid for pro version has heaps more features but I do not want
    > to pay to remove features of windows that I don't want/need.
    >
    > HTH
    > bAZZ

    I would be interested in how it works out. I've only been using XP for
    a couple or 3 weeks so I need to get to know it better before trying
    that kind of s/ware. I used the 98lite software from litePC which
    worked out well. I have downloaded the XP lite but not done anything
    with it yet.
    Chris, Aug 19, 2004
  8. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:19:12 +1200, bAZZ <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com says...
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I think someone posted in here a while ago about some app that cut XP
    >> down to size for running specific apps or as a gaming rig etc. Can
    >> anyone shed some light on this?
    >>

    >That were me. After I posted someonelse posted another (free and IMHO
    >better) utility NLite.
    >http://nuhi.msfn.org/
    >I downloaded it and it is really good. Much better than XPLite (free
    >version) but the xplite pro does do much more tho.
    >I would recommend nlite tho but tis up to you what you use.
    >
    >HTH
    >bAZZ

    That's the one, cheers!
    Dogg, Aug 19, 2004
  9. bAZZ wrote:
    >>I think someone posted in here a while ago about some app that cut XP
    >>down to size for running specific apps or as a gaming rig etc. Can
    >>anyone shed some light on this?

    > That were me. After I posted someonelse posted another (free and IMHO
    > better) utility NLite.
    > http://nuhi.msfn.org/

    heh, I so thought I knew what the "f" stood for in MSFN... guess I was
    wrong. It stands for "forum".

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 19, 2004
  10. Dogg

    Mr Bond Guest

    On 20 Aug 2004 00:32:53 +1200, Chris <> wrote:

    >bAZZ <> wrote in
    >
    >> In article <tyYUc.63557$>,
    >> says...
    >>> bAZZ <> wrote in news:MPG.1b8f0d8f9742ad6a989694
    >>> @news.orcon.net.nz:

    >>> I C that is beta though, a bit like windows anyway lol
    >>>
    >>> How long have you been using it ?
    >>>
    >>> Got the page open now .........
    >>>

    >> Hmmm about a week. Downloaded it after reading it here and installed
    >> it to have a play. From a brief play it looked OK in what it could do.
    >> I was gonna wait and get SP2, slipstream it then use nlite to rip the
    >> guts out of XP and install it with only features I wanted. Prob get
    >> round to it in a week or so. Till then my recommendation is only from
    >> having a brief fiddle with it.Can post back here when I do and let you
    >> know how it goes.
    >>
    >> Also got the free trial XPLite but it is very limited in what it can
    >> do. The paid for pro version has heaps more features but I do not want
    >> to pay to remove features of windows that I don't want/need.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >> bAZZ
    >>

    >I would be interested in how it works out. I've only been using XP for
    >a couple or 3 weeks so I need to get to know it better before trying
    >that kind of s/ware. I used the 98lite software from litePC which
    >worked out well. I have downloaded the XP lite but not done anything
    >with it yet.

    I did a reinstall with SP2 slipstreamed and a whole bunch of stuff
    removed. I wasn't brave enough to cut IE out though.

    Stuffed it the first time by cutting out too much. I was prepared to
    live with it cut down like that until I installed outlook and the
    emails didn't work because I'd cut out outlook express. Second
    install works brilliantly, I'll have to check but my Windows folder
    size is something like 550 megs, not to mention a cut down Program
    Files folder.

    Got it sorted to do a unattended install as well. Makes an install a
    whole lot less painful.

    I'm a huge fan of http://nuhi.msfn.org/ now. Just make sure when you
    do it you spend the time reading the descriptions of what you need and
    what you don't.
    Mr Bond, Aug 19, 2004
  11. Dogg

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I did a reinstall with SP2 slipstreamed and a whole bunch of stuff
    > removed. I wasn't brave enough to cut IE out though.
    >
    > Stuffed it the first time by cutting out too much. I was prepared to
    > live with it cut down like that until I installed outlook and the
    > emails didn't work because I'd cut out outlook express. Second
    > install works brilliantly, I'll have to check but my Windows folder
    > size is something like 550 megs, not to mention a cut down Program
    > Files folder.
    >
    > Got it sorted to do a unattended install as well. Makes an install a
    > whole lot less painful.
    >
    > I'm a huge fan of http://nuhi.msfn.org/ now. Just make sure when you
    > do it you spend the time reading the descriptions of what you need and
    > what you don't.

    Hey that sounds cool. Just what I was going to do too. I do not use IE
    much and was thinking of removing it but like you are a bit uncertain. I
    know a lot of things these days use it's engine and so won't go but may
    have a crack at it. A lot of the help type files rely on it I think so
    may have a problem there but the only way to know for sure is to do it
    and see.

    Once I get my hands on SP2 I will give it a go.

    I had believed that outlook would still function without OE nowdays.
    From memory they were both needed once but I thought that nowdays it
    were different but obviously not in your case. What version of outlook
    was it ?

    Thanx for the update. Now to get a PC mag with SP2 it on as I can't be
    bothered on dial up. Have to have phone available most time and only
    connect to read mail/usenet and surf.

    I too are a fan now of these guys. Damn good utility.

    Cheers
    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Aug 20, 2004
  12. Dogg

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:31:20 +1200, bAZZ <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> I did a reinstall with SP2 slipstreamed and a whole bunch of stuff
    >> removed. I wasn't brave enough to cut IE out though.
    >>
    >> Stuffed it the first time by cutting out too much. I was prepared to
    >> live with it cut down like that until I installed outlook and the
    >> emails didn't work because I'd cut out outlook express. Second
    >> install works brilliantly, I'll have to check but my Windows folder
    >> size is something like 550 megs, not to mention a cut down Program
    >> Files folder.
    >>
    >> Got it sorted to do a unattended install as well. Makes an install a
    >> whole lot less painful.
    >>
    >> I'm a huge fan of http://nuhi.msfn.org/ now. Just make sure when you
    >> do it you spend the time reading the descriptions of what you need and
    >> what you don't.
    >>

    >Hey that sounds cool. Just what I was going to do too. I do not use IE
    >much and was thinking of removing it but like you are a bit uncertain. I
    >know a lot of things these days use it's engine and so won't go but may
    >have a crack at it. A lot of the help type files rely on it I think so
    >may have a problem there but the only way to know for sure is to do it
    >and see.
    >
    >Once I get my hands on SP2 I will give it a go.
    >
    >I had believed that outlook would still function without OE nowdays.
    >From memory they were both needed once but I thought that nowdays it
    >were different but obviously not in your case. What version of outlook
    >was it ?
    >
    >Thanx for the update. Now to get a PC mag with SP2 it on as I can't be
    >bothered on dial up. Have to have phone available most time and only
    >connect to read mail/usenet and surf.
    >
    >I too are a fan now of these guys. Damn good utility.
    >
    >Cheers
    >bAZZ

    Hi, late reply, but...

    I use Outlook XP. I Duno, it didn't work without it in my experience,
    but the documents do mantion that it only affects a few people. Try
    an install without outlokk express if you have time.
    Mr Bond, Aug 30, 2004