    Gus Noon Guest

    I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it also
    says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine

    Gus Noon, Nov 19, 2004

  2. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Fri,
    19 Nov 2004 23:53:30 -0000, "Gus Noon" <>
    screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it also
    >says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine

    No.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 20, 2004

  3. Gus Noon

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Gus Noon" <> wrote in

    > I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it
    > also says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine

    Technically speaking, yes.
    Legally speaking, No.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 20, 2004
  4. Gus Noon

    RobD. Guest

    NEC has an OEM license arrangment with M$, this is what the "for NEC" phrase
    on the sticker is for. It identifies the OEM.

    --
    --The Computer Doctors
    Serving Southern New England

    RobD., Nov 20, 2004
  5. Gus Noon

    RobD. Guest

    right to a technical knock-out when you activate ;)

    RobD., Nov 20, 2004
  6. Gus Noon

    doS Guest

    What an idiot...

    doS, Nov 20, 2004
  7. This is what we posted regarding a similar issue at the Dell group

    Hello,

    What you have is a OEM copy of Windows XP from Dell.

    This CD will install XP on any computer provided you have the COA (Little
    sticker that is attached to the Dell Computer that it came with)

    The thing about the OEM software is that individuals looking to buy a LEGAL
    copy of XP are better off buying OEM as you can get it much cheaper versus
    the full retail price

    Full Retail approx - $198.00
    OEM - $59 to $79.00

    OEM sales are legal as long as they are sold with a qualifying piece of
    hardware (harddrive, etc) AND the COA that was attached to the original
    computer.

    The original installation of the OEM software has to be removed from the
    original system, etc.

    Do a search on Ebay (Ebay stores too) for XP HOME and you will find several
    copies being LEGALLY sold for MUCH cheaper than the retail jacked up price.

    --
    JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
    Technical Support Team

    Visit our forums for FREE technical support and other discussions at
    http://jlaenterprises.ath.cx/phpbb2/index.php

    Check out some of the items we are offering
    Dell Laptop Docking Stations starting at $5.00
    Dell 20" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen Monitors starting at $35.00
    Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
    Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

    Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

    JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION, Nov 20, 2004
  8. Gus Noon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Hogwash. The OEM Windows XP CD will *not* install on a non-Dell computer, no
    matter what COA you have. The Dell CD will look for the Dell tatoo in the
    hardware, and not finding it on non-Dell computers, will give you a message
    telling you that you can't install it. So you'd better be careful what you
    tell your Dell friends out there...

    "JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION" <> wrote
    in message news:FhInd.14926$...
    | This is what we posted regarding a similar issue at the Dell group
    |
    | Hello,
    |
    | What you have is a OEM copy of Windows XP from Dell.
    |
    | This CD will install XP on any computer provided you have the COA (Little
    | sticker that is attached to the Dell Computer that it came with)
    |
    | The thing about the OEM software is that individuals looking to buy a
    LEGAL
    | copy of XP are better off buying OEM as you can get it much cheaper versus
    | the full retail price
    |
    | Full Retail approx - $198.00
    | OEM - $59 to $79.00
    |
    | OEM sales are legal as long as they are sold with a qualifying piece of
    | hardware (harddrive, etc) AND the COA that was attached to the original
    | computer.
    |
    | The original installation of the OEM software has to be removed from the
    | original system, etc.
    |
    | Do a search on Ebay (Ebay stores too) for XP HOME and you will find
    several
    | copies being LEGALLY sold for MUCH cheaper than the retail jacked up
    price.

    <inappropriate advertising crap snipped>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 20, 2004
  9. Gus Noon

    doS Guest

    Eh....if its just an OEM version of windows, yes it will, if its a ghost
    type image, then no...

    doS, Nov 20, 2004
  10. Gus Noon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Not with DELL. *DELL* makes a *CUSTOM* Dell-only CD that will ONLY install
    on a *DELL* computer. It is possible that other vendors do as well, but I
    don't have any yet that have that problem. But DELL has their very own
    masters and make their own CDs and they are modified by MS and Dell so that
    they DO NOT install on non-Dell computers. Savvy?

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    | Eh....if its just an OEM version of windows, yes it will, if its a ghost
    | type image, then no...
    |
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > Hogwash. The OEM Windows XP CD will *not* install on a non-Dell
    computer,
    | no
    | > matter what COA you have. The Dell CD will look for the Dell tatoo in
    the
    | > hardware, and not finding it on non-Dell computers, will give you a
    | message
    | > telling you that you can't install it. So you'd better be careful what
    you
    | > tell your Dell friends out there...
    | >
    | > "JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION" <>
    wrote
    | > in message news:FhInd.14926$...
    | > | This is what we posted regarding a similar issue at the Dell group
    | > |
    | > | Hello,
    | > |
    | > | What you have is a OEM copy of Windows XP from Dell.
    | > |
    | > | This CD will install XP on any computer provided you have the COA
    | (Little
    | > | sticker that is attached to the Dell Computer that it came with)
    | > |
    | > | The thing about the OEM software is that individuals looking to buy a
    | > LEGAL
    | > | copy of XP are better off buying OEM as you can get it much cheaper
    | versus
    | > | the full retail price
    | > |
    | > | Full Retail approx - $198.00
    | > | OEM - $59 to $79.00
    | > |
    | > | OEM sales are legal as long as they are sold with a qualifying piece
    of
    | > | hardware (harddrive, etc) AND the COA that was attached to the
    original
    | > | computer.
    | > |
    | > | The original installation of the OEM software has to be removed from
    the
    | > | original system, etc.
    | > |
    | > | Do a search on Ebay (Ebay stores too) for XP HOME and you will find
    | > several
    | > | copies being LEGALLY sold for MUCH cheaper than the retail jacked up
    | > price.
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Nov 20, 2004
  11. Gus Noon

    doS Guest

    yeh, I just used a *DELL* cd on a Compaq last week, savvy?

    doS, Nov 20, 2004
  12. Gus Noon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Must have been an OLD disc, because since XP came out, the've been burning
    discs of their own. Was that "Dell" disc of yours the blue one that has Dell
    written all over it, or was it a genuine Microsoft disc with all their
    holograms on it?

    When we bought our last W2K system at work, XP had just been introduced, and
    the "free upgrade" to XP was a standard MS upgrade distribution disc. That
    one *does* work on any machine I choose, because it's a MS CD, not a Dell
    CD.

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    | yeh, I just used a *DELL* cd on a Compaq last week, savvy?
    |
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > Not with DELL. *DELL* makes a *CUSTOM* Dell-only CD that will ONLY
    install
    | > on a *DELL* computer. It is possible that other vendors do as well, but
    | > don't have any yet that have that problem. But DELL has their very own
    | > masters and make their own CDs and they are modified by MS and Dell so
    | that
    | > they DO NOT install on non-Dell computers. Savvy?
    | >
    | > "doS" <> wrote in message
    | > | Eh....if its just an OEM version of windows, yes it will, if its a
    ghost
    | > | type image, then no...
    | > |
    | > | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > computer,
    | > | no
    | > the
    | > | message
    | > you

    | > wrote
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | (Little
    | > | > |
    | > | versus
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > of
    | > original
    | > | > |
    | > the
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    Toolman Tim, Nov 20, 2004
  13. Gus Noon

    RobD. Guest

    Dell is licensed to create an image style CD that is branded with their name
    and is legally allowed to have a copy of windows <whatever> imaged onto it.
    The licensed version on this imaged CD is an OEM release. And, Tim is right
    about it only being able to install itself onto a dell machine. However, it
    should be noted that not at all systems come this way (if you get a
    different O/S than what comes standard with the model you are purchased) and
    you will receive one of those Windows CD's that is hologramed directly from
    M$, and this version, you are able to install on another computer if you are
    so compelled to. Don't expect to activate it, however, because if it's
    already been activated once on another system, Big Brother will know.

    RobD., Nov 21, 2004
  14. Gus Noon

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Gus Noon" <> wrote:

    >I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it also
    >says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine

    What you have is the product key for an OEM version of Windows XP.
    Without a matching OEM version CDROM that product key is not usable.
    Product keys for OEM versions will not be accepted as valid by a
    retail version of Windows XP.

    Furthermore OEM licenses are permanently tied to the first computer
    that they are installed on and are not transferrable to another
    computer under any circumstances even if the first computer is lost,
    stolen, or destroyed.

    I hope this helps to clarify the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP