XP Laptop Cannot See Printer on Other XP PC

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jasper2000, Feb 26, 2010.

  1. Jasper2000

    Jasper2000 Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking at a problem for somebody, and am not all that familiar
    with wireless "stuff" etc. Hoping someone can assist.

    So, there is an XP desktop (192.168.1.240 / 255.255.200.0), which is
    wired, and an XP laptop (10.50.0.101 / 255.255.255.0), which is
    wireless. Both have addresses assigned by DHCP.

    They can both connect to the Internet okay, and the laptop can ping
    the desktop. They are both in a Workgroup called "WORKGROUP" but when
    browsing the network, the only thing they see are themselves, not the
    other computer.

    The laptop needs to print to a printer attached, and shared, by the
    Desktop. Apparently this worked until recently, and "nothing has
    changed" (of course!). Additionally, the Workgroups were also
    different until I changed them. However, I am assured that this did
    work previously.

    I'm first a bit confused by the subnet of the desktop, which seems
    invalid to me, but it's automatically assigned so I guess it must be
    alright. (reason I'm confused is that I tried to assign 192.168.1.241
    to the laptop, with the same subnet as the desktop and it said the
    subnet was invalid).

    XP's "Automatically search for network folders and printers" is turned
    on, on the laptop, and the printer is definitely shared.

    I can't help thinking (with my limited network knowledge) that they
    need to be in the same IP range/subnet for the laptop to see the
    desktop, but these addresses are automatically assigned, and it did,
    like I said, apparently work until very recently. If needs be I can
    manually assign an IP to the laptop, but not the desktop.

    Any ideas, assistance, etc, etc would be much appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Jasper2000, Feb 26, 2010

  2. Hi
    I do not know how the Network is configured and what Network hardware is
    involved.
    XP desktop 192.168.1.240 / 255.255.200.0
    XP laptop 10.50.0.101 / 255.255.255.0
    It means that the computers are Not on the same Network and thus will Not
    Share.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MS, MVP-Networking\), Feb 27, 2010