    start windows. i cant read the error message on the blue screen cause it
    restarts to quickly.
    could anyone help please??

    bob17, Apr 18, 2008

  2. When XP first starts up, press F8, before anything else happens. This will
    give you a startup menu that includes Safe Mode, etc.From here, set Windows
    to not automatically restart on error. Now you can see the error message.
    Report back what you see, and we might be able to help. (Or google the error
    message - you'd be surprised how much information you'll find.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 18, 2008

  3. Are you running a 64bit version of XP? If not, you may want to post to the
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general newsgroup as this is a newsgroup for 64
    bit issues in Windows.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 18, 2008
  4. bob17

    bob17 Guest

    i dont get the option to set windows to not automatically restart when i
    press F8 is there any other way??

    instead i have just installed windows on a different partion (D drive
    instead of C) and my comp starts up in D and i can access my C drive files
    but none of them will work if im running in D drive. do i have any other
    options apart from reformating my c drive?
    As this problem has happened before i really dont want to reinstall
    everything and then it crash again.
    any help is appreciated thank you

    bob17, Apr 20, 2008
  5. Yes, you do. The option is called "disable automatic restart on system
    failure". (I had to go build an XP machine to find the exact name.)

    That is the only way to see what the error message is. It won't solve your
    problem. But it might allow you to identify your problem. If this has
    happened more than once, you either have a hardware problem, a driver
    problem, or unsafe computing habits leading to infection.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 20, 2008
  6. bob17

    dino8418 Guest

    dino8418, Jul 8, 2009
  7. You can move data as long it's not part of the operating system.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 8, 2009