    So any idea how to fix this bug/issue?

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Dec 3, 2007

  2. On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 12:17:13 +1300, thingy <> wrote
    in <news:p>:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Installed a new motherboard and for some un-known reason the mic in
    > volume control does not appear....so going into properties and I click
    > on recording device...OK now it is tehre but its muted....unclick mute
    > and try and get voice to go...no joy....go back in and it is muted
    > again.....and again and again...
    >
    > So any idea how to fix this bug/issue?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    At last, someone having the same problem as I am. Please let me know if
    you find an answer - it's beeen driving me nuts for over a year! I'm just
    about to the stage of considering a small adjustment with a large hammer.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... Our wishes lengthen as our sun declines.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 4, 2007

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 12:17:13 +1300, thingy <> wrote
    > in <news:p>:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Installed a new motherboard and for some un-known reason the mic in
    >> volume control does not appear....so going into properties and I click
    >> on recording device...OK now it is tehre but its muted....unclick mute
    >> and try and get voice to go...no joy....go back in and it is muted
    >> again.....and again and again...
    >>
    >> So any idea how to fix this bug/issue?
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> thing

    > At last, someone having the same problem as I am. Please let me know if
    > you find an answer - it's beeen driving me nuts for over a year! I'm just
    > about to the stage of considering a small adjustment with a large hammer.

    <rant>
    I'm totally %&&#$(#((# off!!!!!, this is yet another problem with sound
    in dimdows.......I have spent a year trying to get sound going in
    BF2142...Ive gone through 3 motherboards, and now 3 sound cards....up
    until now the mic always worked in XP/2000 but never in the game....so
    after adding a creative x-fi extreme gamer sound card which was
    recommended for the game and a fresh install of XP I have no mic at
    all....so I am actually going backwards....FFS....
    </rant>

    Gonna borrow a usb windows webcam overnight.....see if that works for
    the mic....

    :/

    At the moment I am trying to find (via google) a windows registry
    setting that will stop this or lock it on....I'm wondering if there is
    something going on with front v rear jacks/pins....some articles talk
    about auto sensing which pair is being used....so I'm wondering if I
    need to lock it to the rear jack....as the "auto sense" (sounds like an
    oxy-moron to me) is not sensing which properly then disabling the input
    as it detects no jack is inserted.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 4, 2007
  4. On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 14:19:46 +1300, thingy <> wrote
    in <news:>:

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 12:17:13 +1300, thingy <> wrote
    >> in <news:p>:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Installed a new motherboard and for some un-known reason the mic in
    >>> volume control does not appear....so going into properties and I click
    >>> on recording device...OK now it is tehre but its muted....unclick mute
    >>> and try and get voice to go...no joy....go back in and it is muted
    >>> again.....and again and again...
    >>>
    >>> So any idea how to fix this bug/issue?
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> thing

    >> At last, someone having the same problem as I am. Please let me know if
    >> you find an answer - it's beeen driving me nuts for over a year! I'm just
    >> about to the stage of considering a small adjustment with a large hammer.
    >>

    > <rant>
    > I'm totally %&&#$(#((# off!!!!!, this is yet another problem with sound
    > in dimdows.......I have spent a year trying to get sound going in
    > BF2142...Ive gone through 3 motherboards, and now 3 sound cards....up
    > until now the mic always worked in XP/2000 but never in the game....so
    > after adding a creative x-fi extreme gamer sound card which was
    > recommended for the game and a fresh install of XP I have no mic at
    > all....so I am actually going backwards....FFS....
    > </rant>
    >
    > Gonna borrow a usb windows webcam overnight.....see if that works for
    > the mic....
    >
    > :/
    >
    > At the moment I am trying to find (via google) a windows registry
    > setting that will stop this or lock it on....I'm wondering if there is
    > something going on with front v rear jacks/pins....some articles talk
    > about auto sensing which pair is being used....so I'm wondering if I
    > need to lock it to the rear jack....as the "auto sense" (sounds like an
    > oxy-moron to me) is not sensing which properly then disabling the input
    > as it detects no jack is inserted.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I'm not having problems of that magnitude - I am not a games person at all
    and use it simply for Skype with the motherboard (Gigabyte GA7VM400M-RZ)
    sound system.
    Mic remains on in playback mode (where I don't need it) but every time I
    make or receive a Skype call I have to go in and turn the funking thing on
    in record mode. It will then stay on until I re-boot, and then I have to
    turn it on again.
    It will not stay turned on over a re-boot, the setting on 'record' mode
    does not appear to be 'sticky' - but the setting in 'playback' mode is -
    and, in the words of the finance company advert, "I ... just ... don't ...
    know ... why!"

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... I will die on my feet before I will live on my knees!

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 4, 2007
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    8><-------

    > I'm not having problems of that magnitude - I am not a games person at all
    > and use it simply for Skype with the motherboard (Gigabyte GA7VM400M-RZ)
    > sound system.
    > Mic remains on in playback mode (where I don't need it) but every time I
    > make or receive a Skype call I have to go in and turn the funking thing on
    > in record mode. It will then stay on until I re-boot, and then I have to
    > turn it on again.
    > It will not stay turned on over a re-boot, the setting on 'record' mode
    > does not appear to be 'sticky' - but the setting in 'playback' mode is -
    > and, in the words of the finance company advert, "I ... just ... don't ...
    > know ... why!"

    yes Im experimenting with IM using a webcam at the moment and skype
    soon....and I am finding its not going to be usable for the reason....

    Im hoping that a mic built into the USB2 webcam will at least get the IM
    and skype going........

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Dec 4, 2007
  6. thingy

    Harry Guest

    wrote:

    >Installed a new motherboard and for some un-known reason the mic in
    >volume control does not appear....so going into properties and I click
    >on recording device...OK now it is tehre but its muted....unclick mute
    >and try and get voice to go...no joy....go back in and it is muted
    >again.....and again and again...

    Do you have Skype installed? I had a similar problem and eventually
    tracked it down to Skype constantly changing the audio settings.

    Harry, Dec 4, 2007
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 12:17:13 +1300, thingy <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Installed a new motherboard and for some un-known reason the mic in
    >> volume control does not appear....so going into properties and I click
    >> on recording device...OK now it is tehre but its muted....unclick mute
    >> and try and get voice to go...no joy....go back in and it is muted
    >> again.....and again and again...

    > Do you have Skype installed? I had a similar problem and eventually
    > tracked it down to Skype constantly changing the audio settings.

    Not yet....we are looking at a video conferencing pilot and things like
    IM, skype, VoIP are all in the mix....so I'm piggy backing off work for
    home....so I get to see/trial for free a range of webcams....the logitec
    9000 is looking good but probably a bit OTT....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 4, 2007
  8. On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 14:58:53 +1300, thingy <> wrote
    in <news:>:

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >
    > 8><-------
    >
    >> I'm not having problems of that magnitude - I am not a games person at all
    >> and use it simply for Skype with the motherboard (Gigabyte GA7VM400M-RZ)
    >> sound system.
    >> Mic remains on in playback mode (where I don't need it) but every time I
    >> make or receive a Skype call I have to go in and turn the funking thing on
    >> in record mode. It will then stay on until I re-boot, and then I have to
    >> turn it on again.
    >> It will not stay turned on over a re-boot, the setting on 'record' mode
    >> does not appear to be 'sticky' - but the setting in 'playback' mode is -
    >> and, in the words of the finance company advert, "I ... just ... don't ...
    >> know ... why!"

    > yes Im experimenting with IM using a webcam at the moment and skype
    > soon....and I am finding its not going to be usable for the reason....
    >
    > Im hoping that a mic built into the USB2 webcam will at least get the IM
    > and skype going........
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    Just to add a detaill for clarity, I'm connecting via the sound port, not
    USB.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... Whose cruel idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have a "S" in it?

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 4, 2007
  9. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 14:58:53 +1300, thingy <> wrote
    > in <news:>:
    >
    >> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>
    >> 8><-------
    >>
    >>> I'm not having problems of that magnitude - I am not a games person at
    >>> all
    >>> and use it simply for Skype with the motherboard (Gigabyte GA7VM400M-RZ)
    >>> sound system.
    >>> Mic remains on in playback mode (where I don't need it) but every time I
    >>> make or receive a Skype call I have to go in and turn the funking thing
    >>> on
    >>> in record mode. It will then stay on until I re-boot, and then I have
    >>> turn it on again.
    >>> It will not stay turned on over a re-boot, the setting on 'record' mode
    >>> does not appear to be 'sticky' - but the setting in 'playback' mode is -
    >>> and, in the words of the finance company advert, "I ... just ... don't
    >>> know ... why!"

    >> yes Im experimenting with IM using a webcam at the moment and skype
    >> soon....and I am finding its not going to be usable for the reason....
    >>
    >> Im hoping that a mic built into the USB2 webcam will at least get the IM
    >> and skype going........
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> thing

    > Just to add a detaill for clarity, I'm connecting via the sound port, not
    > USB.
    >
    > --

    Seen this?

    http://www.skype.com/help/guides/soundsetup_xp.html

    May not solve your problem. But since Skype's in play, possibly worth a
    look.

    impossible, Dec 4, 2007
  10. thingy

    Enkidu Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Installed a new motherboard and for some un-known reason the mic in
    > volume control does not appear....so going into properties and I click
    > on recording device...OK now it is tehre but its muted....unclick mute
    > and try and get voice to go...no joy....go back in and it is muted
    > again.....and again and again...
    >
    > So any idea how to fix this bug/issue?

    Perhaps it's trying to tell you something? <grin>

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Dec 4, 2007
  11. On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 06:23:59 GMT, impossible <>
    wrote in <news:3o65j.230112$Fc.89110@attbi_s21>:

    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 14:58:53 +1300, thingy <> wrote
    >> in <news:>:
    >>
    >>> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>>
    >>> 8><-------

    >>> yes Im experimenting with IM using a webcam at the moment and skype
    >>> soon....and I am finding its not going to be usable for the reason....
    >>>
    >>> Im hoping that a mic built into the USB2 webcam will at least get the IM
    >>> and skype going........
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> thing

    >> Just to add a detaill for clarity, I'm connecting via the sound port, not
    >> USB.
    >>
    >> --

    > Seen this?
    >
    > http://www.skype.com/help/guides/soundsetup_xp.html
    >
    > May not solve your problem. But since Skype's in play, possibly worth a
    > look.

    Thanks, I'll give a twice over.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 4, 2007
  12. In article <>, thingy did write:

    > ... dimdows.......

    Muahahahaha!

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 4, 2007
  13. On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 20:16:05 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote in

    > In article <>, thingy did write:
    >
    >> ... dimdows.......

    > Muahahahaha!

    Perfectly predictable response from a linuxtic weenie. Nothing to say,
    but has to say something ... anything.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 4, 2007
  14. On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 14:19:46 +1300, thingy wrote:

    > At the moment I am trying to find (via google) a windows registry
    > setting that will stop this or lock it on....I'm wondering if there is
    > something going on with front v rear jacks/pins....some articles talk
    > about auto sensing which pair is being used....so I'm wondering if I
    > need to lock it to the rear jack....as the "auto sense" (sounds like an
    > oxy-moron to me) is not sensing which properly then disabling the input
    > as it detects no jack is inserted.

    Is this all related to the voice recognition software that is built into
    WinXP and/or M$ Office 2003?

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Dec 4, 2007
  15. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 14:19:46 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> At the moment I am trying to find (via google) a windows registry
    >> setting that will stop this or lock it on....I'm wondering if there is
    >> something going on with front v rear jacks/pins....some articles talk
    >> about auto sensing which pair is being used....so I'm wondering if I
    >> need to lock it to the rear jack....as the "auto sense" (sounds like an
    >> oxy-moron to me) is not sensing which properly then disabling the input
    >> as it detects no jack is inserted.

    > Is this all related to the voice recognition software that is built into
    > WinXP and/or M$ Office 2003?

    I'm not/wasnt aware XP has voice rec software....and no i dont have MS
    office....oOo, yes but it is not installed at present as i just rebuilt
    the box....the common problem seems to be BF2142 in terms of no mic on
    three machines I have had it on all on differing hardware....this
    disabling of the mic seems random and a new feature......

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 4, 2007
  16. thingy

    blanking Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Installed a new motherboard and for some un-known reason the mic in volume
    > control does not appear....so going into properties and I click on
    > recording device...OK now it is tehre but its muted....unclick mute and
    > try and get voice to go...no joy....go back in and it is muted
    > again.....and again and again...
    >
    > So any idea how to fix this bug/issue?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    Does your soundcard or motherboard have a connector on it for a mic input on
    the front of your case and if so have you made sure that the input you want
    is selected, my motherboard has such a thing and unexpectedly to me the
    front connector was selected by default when I only use the output from the
    motherboard on the rear of the machine, the setting to change this was not
    immediately obvious either.

    blanking, Dec 5, 2007
  17. On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 08:23:15 +1300, thingy wrote:

    > I'm not/wasnt aware XP has voice rec software.

    The Win2k boxes that we look after all have M$ Orifice installed and
    luzers sometimes get random text printing all over the place.

    The solution is to disable the voice recognition part of the Orifice suite
    that the luzer "accidentally" enabled.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Dec 5, 2007
  18. thingy

    Bobs Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 08:23:15 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not/wasnt aware XP has voice rec software.

    > The Win2k boxes that we look after all have M$ Orifice installed and
    > luzers sometimes get random text printing all over the place.
    >
    > The solution is to disable the voice recognition part of the Orifice suite
    > that the luzer "accidentally" enabled.

    Charming, calling users "luzers". I bet you're popular in the office. I
    suppose you're skilled in their job?

    Bobs, Dec 5, 2007
  19. On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 23:40:12 +1300, Bobs wrote:

    > Charming, calling users "luzers". I bet you're popular in the office. I
    > suppose you're skilled in their job?

    Luzers are generally well behaved. If they're not, then treatment with a
    Lart generally brings them back into line.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Dec 5, 2007
  20. On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 23:40:12 +1300, Bobs <>
    wrote in <news:47568383$>:

    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 08:23:15 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm not/wasnt aware XP has voice rec software.

    >> The Win2k boxes that we look after all have M$ Orifice installed and
    >> luzers sometimes get random text printing all over the place.
    >>
    >> The solution is to disable the voice recognition part of the Orifice suite
    >> that the luzer "accidentally" enabled.
    >>

    > Charming, calling users "luzers". I bet you're popular in the office. I
    > suppose you're skilled in their job?

    The language of a linsux weenie, Bobs.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... The more we learn, the more we discover how much we still have to
    learn. Wisdom lies in surviving this.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 5, 2007